• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First watch $500 budget

vbuskirk

Reaction score
You gotta admit that's a tough question. Not quite as personal as a wedding ring, but ...

Let's see, do you prefer (A) or (B)?

(A)
Tissot_PRS200_even.jpg

(B)
Ticino_SterileDial-Flieger_odd.jpg

Patek14

Reaction score
Originally Posted by boxdiver
Looking at purchasing my first watch....and would like to keep the budget at around $500.

I would be wearing the watch mainly for nights out and possibly to work. I really don't know what kind of band...so I guess I would say any kind.

Basically my wrist is naked...I'd like to get a good-looking watch...and I'd like to spend around $500.

Thanks.

Are you looking for a watch that those "in the know" would approve of or are you looking for watch that will impress the average person?

If you want something that would gain approval here for $500, either seek something pre-owned or try to find something ETA 2824 (common swiss automatic movement) based that isn't too gaudy.

If you want impress people when going out just buy some watch w/ a brand that is easily recognized (i.e., with big obnoxious gucci letters on the face) or buy a cheap movado online.

If you want none of the above, FWIW I am very happy with my japanese automatic movement seiko 5 with a transparent caseback. I wear it with equal frequency to my breitling.

boxdiver

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek14
Are you looking for a watch that those "in the know" would approve of or are you looking for watch that will impress the average person?

If you want something that would gain approval here for $500, either seek something pre-owned or try to find something ETA 2824 (common swiss automatic movement) based that isn't too gaudy.

If you want impress people when going out just buy some watch w/ a brand that is easily recognized (i.e., with big obnoxious gucci letters on the face) or buy a cheap movado online.

If you want none of the above, FWIW I am very happy with my japanese automatic movement seiko 5 with a transparent caseback. I wear it with equal frequency to my breitling.

To be completely honest, I'm looking for a watch that the average person might f be "wowed" by, or at least think it's worth more than I paid for it. Eventually, my goal is to buy a better watch like a lot of people on here have...but I simply don't have that type of money right now.

Patek14

Reaction score
Originally Posted by boxdiver
To be completely honest, I'm looking for a watch that the average person might f be "wowed" by, or at least think it's worth more than I paid for it. Eventually, my goal is to buy a better watch like a lot of people on here have...but I simply don't have that type of money right now.

Then you need to ignore most of the advice people here have given. C'mon, this is a site that adores edward green shoes. Even though EG's cost 3x a pair of prada or gucci shoes, if you buy a pair of pradas w/ an obnoxious logo, tell me what an average person will notice and recognize. Your average person may never have heard of Vacheron Constantin, Kiton, EG, etc.

Think like a normal person, think what brands normal people associate with wealth and wat brands normal people see in the mall and act accordingly.

I may have posted this before but I was at a lunch at a conference and one of my colleagues had just bought a new nasty fashion brand quartz watch - i think it was gucci. He got more compliments during that lunch than my watches have ever gotten.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Email [email protected] She'll sort you out.
yup, Wera is great. Look at the watch Appreciation thread, a few pages back, and you will see that I recently bought the Christopher Ward forum limited edition. I love it. I have number 55 of 100. It comes to 315 GBP shipped, so around your budget. There may be some left. Otherwise, +1 on the Hamiltons. I bought one from Overstock.com with a pretty heavy discount a couple of years back, and it's a great watch as well.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of the replies made me
facepalm.gif
, so much so that I had to post in MC..

I'd look first into Seiko's newer 6R15-powered watches
Spirit
s_scvs013a.jpg

Alpinist
s_sarb017a.jpg

or a little bit of Grand Seiko aesthetic
s_sarb033a.jpg

http://www.seiyajapan.com/c=tZcjWwvi...ko_mechanical/

Solid in-house movement + clean aesthetic + rich history + great values = Seiko

Oris, Stowa, CW are nice alternatives. Hamilton is but a shadow of its great American heritage, but they do have a few nice models.

bigasahouse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
I know what you mean... I'm kinda regretting posting it here now. It looks better on I think. Maybe it's time for me to get a new watch.

Sorry- now I feel bad.

thinksimple

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
yup, Wera is great. Look at the watch Appreciation thread, a few pages back, and you will see that I recently bought the Christopher Ward forum limited edition. I love it. I have number 55 of 100. It comes to 315 GBP shipped, so around your budget. There may be some left. Otherwise, +1 on the Hamiltons. I bought one from Overstock.com with a pretty heavy discount a couple of years back, and it's a great watch as well.
Thanks for the tip, it seems as though their website is working again. I'm deciding between a C7 Rapide with a SS bracelet, a Tissot PRC200, or holding out for a used Breitling. Obviously the latter will cost more, but I've seen a few come through eBay at my price point. Thoughts anyone?

Lustre

Reaction score
If you want to wow people, I agree with the sentiment that a "fashion" watch with a quartz movement would probably accomplish your goals at your price range. Seiko makes some excellent bang-for-the-buck watches, but the name isn't very "wow" inducing in general. Although, an interesting Seiko watch that could probably snag a lot of attention is the Orange Monster, which has a pretty strong following:
SKX781K.jpg
It's probably going to be my next watch purchase.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
yup, Wera is great. Look at the watch Appreciation thread, a few pages back, and you will see that I recently bought the Christopher Ward forum limited edition. I love it. I have number 55 of 100. It comes to 315 GBP shipped, so around your budget. There may be some left.

Sold out.

IBJanky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lustre
If you want to wow people, I agree with the sentiment that a "fashion" watch with a quartz movement would probably accomplish your goals at your price range. Seiko makes some excellent bang-for-the-buck watches, but the name isn't very "wow" inducing in general.

Although, an interesting Seiko watch that could probably snag a lot of attention is the Orange Monster, which has a pretty strong following:

SKX781K.jpg

It's probably going to be my next watch purchase.

I have this exact same watch. Bought one two weeks ago.

I like it a lot. Great everyday watch for work.

myke

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Sold out.

ahh, too bad. May be worth emailing Wera and a guy called Hans ([email protected]) and see if there are any left. Surely they'd have to have a defaulter or two....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads