• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First watch $500 budget

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wrigglez
seiko spirit?
What I came in to post. You'll have money left over to upgrade the band. Also, there are some options from Stowa near your price range.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hamilton?
DSCN1557-copy.jpg
orig.jpg
Spirit?
SCVS003AT.gif
Archimede?
P1060446.jpg

cmp1223

Reaction score
I would look at a vintage watch. Vintage Omega, Girard-Perregaux, Longines, and Breitling watches are just a few of the brands where you could get a respectable vintage for around $500, although it is still on the low end. Buying vintage watches does take a bit of knowledge of watches though. Knowing even a little about movements can go a long way in vintage watches Not to mention dials, crystals, etc. Every reputable dealer of watches online or on eBay should say that they have been freshly serviced, have clear pictures of the movement, and offer at least a 6 month (preferably a 12 month) warranty on the movement.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boxdiver
Looking at purchasing my first watch....and would like to keep the budget at around $500.

I would be wearing the watch mainly for nights out and possibly to work. I really don't know what kind of band...so I guess I would say any kind.

Basically my wrist is naked...I'd like to get a good-looking watch...and I'd like to spend around $500.

Thanks.

My go to watch is a sub $500 citizen stiletto line. I get a lot of complements and it works with anything. Sure, it's nothing great, but it's very thin, somewhat understated and I like it.

Oleg

Reaction score
Something by Stowa might come in marginally over but not by much.
1197957937-7571.jpg
Alternatively, usually ok second hand ones from the likes of Longines to be had for not too much.

bigasahouse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
My go to watch is a sub $500 citizen stiletto line. I get a lot of complements and it works with anything. Sure, it's nothing great, but it's very thin, somewhat understated and I like it.

Just my opinion, but that is one ugly watch.

iatrogenic

Reaction score
actually, on second thought, save up and buy the watch you really want

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigasahouse
Just my opinion, but that is one ugly watch.

I know what you mean... I'm kinda regretting posting it here now. It looks better on I think. Maybe it's time for me to get a new watch.

mtsoccer4

Reaction score
Don't listen to these spendthrifts that overpay for a timekeeper. Believe me, there are nice watches to be had in the <$500 range. I just bought a Tissot PRC 200 and it looks like I spend a lot more than I did!! Get compliments all the time. Check Tissot out, or maybe keep an eye out for a sweet vintage Longines, depending on your style.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
I've always sworn by Seiko, especially some of their kinetic watches. Kinetic watches don't require batteries so you'll never lose track of the proper time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads