• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Non-APC Sub $200 Raw Selvage Denim options

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nomad
When I tried the slim leg on i went tts and they fit well, my mate who's had his pair for a while went this route too but feels he could have sized down one easily. They aren't super slim.
Know of any places stateside that stock Albam jeans (so I can try them on), or can you only get them through their online store?

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nomad
i think only on the online store, great price though!
Yeah, for a single pair of jeans it winds up being $150-ish with shipping, VAT reduction, and exchange rate, I think. It's just a bummer to have to order 4 or 5 pairs to size them and see which styles I like (and then pay to send them back). Oh well. We can't all be Zappos
wink.gif
(SHAMELESS: Speaking of cheap stuff, if someone has an Albam discount code, I'd be happy to take it off your hands; just PM me. Much love in return.)

mr. burns

Reaction score
sticky plz. this is just the thread for people like me. looking for something that fits like my levi's 514s but with just a very slight bit more taper so they don't drag under my heals. so far i'm deciding between N&F weird guys and APC NS. 3sixteen indigo selvage too. dunderdon james look nice but i don't know about those back pockets.
james.jpg

enigma77

Reaction score
Yeah, the Unbranded Urban Outfitters does look like that. I personally prefer the styling of the Albam, but both are pretty unembellished.

Tapered UO, though, is slightly larger in the seat etc. Here's something I grabbed off Sufu:

Here we go! These sizes taken after about 10 wears, no soak/wash. I presume these are sanforized but I'm not sure. The fit is great right now. Though the waist is a bit big, that's solved by a belt - and I would really not want to lose any length on the inseam as I am tall (6'2").

UNBRANDED 'TAPERED' FIT
TAGGED SIZE 34

Waist 36"
Front rise 10.5"
Back rise 13.5"
Upper thigh 12"
Knee 8.75"
Leg opening 8"
Inseam 33"

Hope this is helpful for those.

I spoke with someone who has two pairs of Albam jeans, one washed and one not, and he said of the one that was washed that even through a soak, machine wash, and drying (!) they didn't lose anything on the waist and only about an inch off the inseam. They must be uber-sanforized or something. I assume it was just line dried, though... I'd never put pre-washed jeans in the drier, let alone raw selvedge. Washing changed the color, though, obviously, to more of a blue than an indigo, which is to be expected with any raw denim, I think. He also said no noticeable stretching. If I can get comparison pics I'll post them.

For the sub-$100, UO seems best, but for sub-$150 or $140 it seems like you get a way better jean with the Albams (the UOs apparently stretch and shrink quite a bit even though they're sanforized, a la APC). Just my opinion, though...

enigma77

Reaction score

mr. burns

Reaction score
well i'm close enough to self edge in san francisco to go try on some 3sixteen and i like their straight leg cut so i'm leaning towards those. gotta wait for a restock, though. i went to my local UO yesterday and they didn't even have any unbranded denim.

enigma77

Reaction score
About the 3sixteens:

People seem to really like them, especially as a good $150-$200 range option.

The thing is, I feel like I've seen a ton of stuff on sale both here in B&S and on Sufu for people who have worn them for a few months and have had them stretch out over an inch in the waist (regardless of washing or not). Can anyone speak to that? That's my main reason for avoiding APC in the first place...

Electricity

Reaction score
Wow, great thread mlyngard. Super helpful that somebody got all the information in one thread... subscribed.

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for cheapos i suggest 'Cheap monday autobahn unwash', I paid $45 for mine on sale. I think i like the fit and wash more than my APC NS's.. the sizing is really fucked up so definitely try them on first, my real size is 34 and in in these cheap mondays im 29...

enigma77

Reaction score
In response to my question about 3sixteens stretching, over in the 3sixteen thread, PeterParker says...
Originally Posted by PeterParker
The 100x denim doesn't stretch much (less than an inch from my experience). The key is to size them properly from the start. Keep in mind that these are vanity sized (a tagged 30 measures more than 30" in the waist), by about 2 sizes. The best sizing advice I can give is to measure the waist on a pair of your worn in jeans that fit comfortably, and go with the size that measures about 0.5" less so that they will stretch out to fit comfortably. The denim is sanforized so shrinking is minimal and there is no need to allow for initial room in the waist to compensate for shrinkage.
Good advice. FYI.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads