• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Needs a sidecar.

You're right. The ladies have been getting pissed that I could only ride one at a time.

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wasabi-rabi
Recent ride over into the CZR. Got on kind of a back road (had to pee) and found this field. Normally, I'll pick someplace more private... But there were only cows watching. (None of them seemed too impressed with my equipment BTW)...

bikeinfieldsm.jpg

Sigh, that's a gorgeous Harley.
inlove.gif

What's the model called?

emptym

Reaction score
^+1 Gorgeous Harley.

KnowYourRights

Reaction score
Went for a good ride this weekend on my '71 Triumph. A little cold and foggy here in Northern California, but my bikes were built in "cold and foggy."

Here are my current bikes:

1979 Triumph Bonneville T140D

4266088089_24d2f3f0af.jpg

1971 Triumph Daytona T100R

71daytona.jpg

1964 Norton N15CS

3777811117_8509de1434.jpg

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KnowYourRights
Went for a good ride this weekend on my '71 Triumph. A little cold and foggy here in Northern California, but my bikes were built in "cold and foggy."

Here are my current bikes:

1979 Triumph Bonneville T140D

4266088089_24d2f3f0af.jpg

1971 Triumph Daytona T100R

71daytona.jpg

1964 Norton N15CS

3777811117_8509de1434.jpg

Lucky bastard -- enjoy your rides whilst us northerners freeze in the dark ...
cold[1].gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Great bikes!

I'm currently torn between the BMW F650GS Dakar (single) and the F800GS twin. For the price of any 800 I could easily get a Dakar with all the bags and guards and stuff already on it, but the 800 is so awesome looking, and everyone I've read has said it feels a lot better ergonomically. I need to go test ride one/both (the G650GS (which is almost the same as the older F650GS single) vs the F800). I feel a serious need for a more jeep-ish bike with ABS.

Can anyone convince me the F650GS single (esp. the single spark version) is going to be enough? It will be mostly on-road use but I'd like to be able to do gravel/fire roads/etc. Probably not serious trail stuff for a while.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty soon I'll be the proud owner of a Suzuki DR800s
ee244c42-145b-45b0-baec-99f7c1589d0.jpg
Just need to get my license first...

KnowYourRights

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Can anyone convince me the F650GS single (esp. the single spark version) is going to be enough? It will be mostly on-road use but I'd like to be able to do gravel/fire roads/etc. Probably not serious trail stuff for a while.
j. I haven't had the chance to ride the 800, but that 650 single is gutless. I had one as a loaner for a couple of days, and I didn't like it one bit. In addition to its lack of gusto, it felt cheaply made. A sin for BMW. I tend to err on the side of having more power than I need, so my vote would be for the 800. A buddy of mine works at the local Beemer chop, and was raving about it.
Originally Posted by j
...but the 800 is so awesome looking...
I think you answered your own question here. As much as we would like to sing the praises of our bikes as being "green" or practical or whatever, it really comes down to a visceral thing. Go with the 800.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Can anyone convince me ...

Want me to lie to ya?

While I tend to love acting like a jackass on underpowered scoots, I have a feeling you'd appreciate the power the 800 brings as opposed to the 650's powerband. Both will do anything you want, but the 800 will bring more smiles while doing it.

Besides, seems like you've been talking about that 800 for quite a while now...? You wouldn't be happy otherwise, go with what you want.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Grrrr... it's like $5k more at least (with all the gear), and used ones are hard to come by. Really tempted to live with the 650 until I can figure out how I'll use it. But yeah, the 800 has had me since before it was available.

Col.

Reaction score
Can ride all year round down under

A recent pic taken by a local photographer on one of my bikes

col-oldroad.jpg

sushi7474

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

I ride the F650 GS (thumper, twin spark) and must confess the bike is very well made and really reliable. The bike is fairly swift (single rider, full luggage, constat riding at 90 miles/ hour) and very nimble in a more challenging terrain.
As for the reliability and quality issues of F800 GS, better check other forums (http://www.gs-forum.eu/index.php or http://www.advrider.com/forums/ ), but it seems BMW did not pay that much attention as one would expect for such an expensive bike.

I do not know what was your previous experience with bikes, but for a mid-beginner, the 650 GS is a great bike. On an additional note, the Dakar version keeps a very high resale value...

Unbreakable

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Col.
Can ride all year round down under

A recent pic taken by a local photographer on one of my bikes

col-oldroad.jpg

I love white sportsbikes, I'm so itching to buy one, but I drive like a maniac in a car and the people in my life who love me recommend me not owning a bike.
laugh.gif

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unbreakable
I love white sportsbikes, I'm so itching to buy one, but I drive like a maniac in a car and the people in my life who love me recommend me not owning a bike.
laugh.gif

Supposedly, this is the number one thing being said to bike owners.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads