• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sixth_Sense
Quick question for you all:

My 1st pair of Macquaries will be chestnut, but I'm thinking about the 2nd pair I will purchase in a couple months for rotating purposes.

I'm not a fan of black shoes for casual outings, so my only remaining option appears to be whiskey.

My only concern is that it appears almost orange.

What are your thoughts on whiskey? How versatile is the color?

I had the same concerns about the "orange" hue of the whiskey. I have the Craftsman in chestnut and I also bought the black and love them. I understand the concern about black for casual outings, but I think a black chelsea boot is cool/hip enough to override that concern. I wear them with more dressy outfits (up to a sportcoat) and I wear them with jeans.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure, while the shape of the boot is very important to its sleekness (or course) the stitched or welted sole sticks out past the boot the length of the stitching. So the Macquire has a pretty pointed toe, but the sole juts out past the leather boot itself. FWIW this is also true on the Craftsman and the Stockman, both of which I also own, so this is not really a criticism, just a difference you should note. See below.

Maquire
B555BL-Top1000.gif

On the Bushman, or any other MTO screwed soled boot (and you can pretty much have any RM Williams boot made up this way) the sole is screwed in from the bottom, so it is not stitched, and you don't need the sole to overhang the shape of the boot for stitching. You get a much sleeker boot, regardless of the shape. See below.

Bushman
B500FBLTop1000.jpg

You can also see the obvious difference from the bottom.

Macquire
B555BL-Sole1000.gif

Bushman
B500FCHSole1000.jpg

RM Williams can make almost any of their boots (though you need to confirm the individual model with them) with screwed soles. At some point I'll get some black Stockmans made up with a screwed sole and a different toe shape. I'm almost certain they can do Macquires in a screwed sole.

Could you elaborate DRZRM on screwed v. stitch?

The one thing I like about the Macquarie that makes me think it gives a sleek, modern look is the the narrower toe v. the Craftsman.

Awesome. Thanks man.

Saenek

Reaction score
My whiskey craftsmans do have a bit of 'orange' tint to them, but I think the color can vary quite a bit depending on the batch so you never know 100% what you're going to get until you receive the boots. I love the color personally.

You can always do MTO to open up your options as far as color goes, claret, tan, dark tan... they have about 3-4 suede colors, moc croc, distressed leathers, and some of their "work boot" leathers look interesting for more casual jeans/khakis type of wear.

Presto87

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
Sure, while the shape of the boot is very important to its sleekness (or course) the stitched or welted sole sticks out past the boot the length of the stitching. So the Macquire has a pretty pointed toe, but the sole juts out past the leather boot itself. FWIW this is also true on the Craftsman and the Stockman, both of which I also own, so this is not really a criticism, just a difference you should note. See below.

Maquire
B555BL-Top1000.gif

On the Bushman, or any other MTO screwed soled boot (and you can pretty much have any RM Williams boot made up this way) the sole is screwed in from the bottom, so it is not stitched, and you don't need the sole to overhang the shape of the boot for stitching. You get a much sleeker boot, regardless of the shape. See below.

Bushman
B500FBLTop1000.jpg

Macquire
B555BL-Sole1000.gif

Bushman
B500FCHSole1000.jpg

RM Williams can make almost any of their boots (though you need to confirm the individual model with them) with screwed soles. At some point I'll get some black Stockmans made up with a screwed sole and a different toe shape. I'm almost certain they can do Macquires in a screwed sole.

Firstly, thank you for posting toe comparisons of the Macquarie ...

I currently own a pair of MTO Craftsman in Chestnut (French Veal Calf) - welted sole (i.e. with the lip) ... the fact that I did buy in store meant it cost $$+, but certainly worth it ... best purchase I've made since joining SF!

I'm now looking at purchasing a pair of RMW in black (solely for Weddings, Funerals & Interviews) ... and I'm heavily considering Macquaries (unless anyone else has other suggestions?) ... I went into the store a few weeks back to discuss options etc. and the assistant was trying to convince me that the toe of the Macquarie is far too feminine! and with a screwed sole, the sleekness only adds to it's femininity ... of course, I know - SF & female opinion on male style rarely match ... but what are your thoughts??

And I'd also like to know what features I should consider for the above purposes (Weddings etc. - i.e. never with jeans) ... currently thinking Macquarie > Black > French Veal Calf (love this leather) > Flat heel > Welt or Screwed?!

amce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Presto87
And I'd also like to know what features I should consider for the above purposes (Weddings etc. - i.e. never with jeans) ... currently thinking Macquarie > Black > French Veal Calf (love this leather) > Flat heel > Welt or Screwed?!

Have been thinking about the following:

Macquarie (B555) black French Veal, screwed sole and the flat, slightly tapered heel that is featured on the women's Durack and Wimmera models. RMW's code for this heel is T.

Think this combination would result in a very sleek fine dress boot. Going down to Oz in May, hope the AUD has weakened a little by then.

Cheers

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look at the Forum Special on the very first page of this thread. That is a lovely boot on the B529 last in French Veal with screwed soles. It seems to fit your needs nicely. I do think the Macquire is too pointy, not because its feminine, just a bit too costumy.

Originally Posted by Presto87
Firstly, thank you for posting toe comparisons of the Macquarie ...

I currently own a pair of MTO Craftsman in Chestnut (French Veal Calf) - welted sole (i.e. with the lip) ... the fact that I did buy in store meant it cost $$+, but certainly worth it ... best purchase I've made since joining SF!

I'm now looking at purchasing a pair of RMW in black (solely for Weddings, Funerals & Interviews) ... and I'm heavily considering Macquaries (unless anyone else has other suggestions?) ... I went into the store a few weeks back to discuss options etc. and the assistant was trying to convince me that the toe of the Macquarie is far too feminine! and with a screwed sole, the sleekness only adds to it's femininity ... of course, I know - SF & female opinion on male style rarely match ... but what are your thoughts??

ville_e

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between a pair of Drover's in brown or a pair of comfort craftsman in chestnut. Which pair would you recommend?

How is the sizing compared to Red Wing GTs and Clarks Desert Boots?

What is the best site in terms of prices and offerings to purchase them from within Europe?

Thanks!

Tez Mulan

Reaction score
Quick question for you all:

My 1st pair of Macquaries will be chestnut, but I'm thinking about the 2nd pair I will purchase in a couple months for rotating purposes.

I'm not a fan of black shoes for casual outings, so my only remaining option appears to be whiskey.

My only concern is that it appears almost orange.

What are your thoughts on whiskey? How versatile is the color?

this is a personal view - for me whiskey doesnt look right, but saying that I'm sure that owners of whiskey boots get a lot of looks

i'm anti black with blue jeans, lighter trousers etc - have just ordered Craftsman in claret, which for me is going to be a bit of a test case

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amce
Have been thinking about the following:

Macquarie (B555) black French Veal, screwed sole and the flat, slightly tapered heel that is featured on the women's Durack and Wimmera models. RMW's code for this heel is T.

Think this combination would result in a very sleek fine dress boot. Going down to Oz in May, hope the AUD has weakened a little by then.

Cheers

I hope it doesn't. Makes buying things from overseas so much more attractive
bigstar[1].gif

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tez Mulan

i'm anti black with blue jeans, lighter trousers etc - have just ordered Craftsman in claret, which for me is going to be a bit of a test case

pls post pics when you get it!

Sixth_Sense

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM

Maquire
B555BL-Top1000.gif

Bushman
B500FBLTop1000.jpg

Macquire
B555BL-Sole1000.gif

Bushman
B500FCHSole1000.jpg

Great work! Thanks a lot man. Another question if you don't mind: What disadvantage, if any, is there to the screwed sole? Harder to replace? etc.

Originally Posted by Tez Mulan
this is a personal view - for me whiskey doesnt look right, but saying that I'm sure that owners of whiskey boots get a lot of looks

Awesome post pics when you get a chance!

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ville_e
I'm trying to decide between a pair of Drover's in brown or a pair of comfort craftsman in chestnut. Which pair would you recommend?

How is the sizing compared to Red Wing GTs and Clarks Desert Boots?

What is the best site in terms of prices and offerings to purchase them from within Europe?

Thanks!

the very first post in this thread talks about fit. I don't think those shoes are great to go from for fit...much better to go off a proper dress shoe

for me, the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue conversion worked perfect to the Roo CC. 8.5 E converts to 7.5 G

Rusty G.

Reaction score
O.K. . .so, this thread got me thinking. . .Naturally, I ordered a pair of Black Craftsman from Australia Fair in San Francisco via telephone this Saturday. Hope to get them by the weekend. I'll post pictures when I've gotten the chance to wear them a little and give my opinion. I'm looking forward to wearing them!

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great work! Thanks a lot man. Another question if you don't mind: What disadvantage, if any, is there to the screwed sole? Harder to replace? etc.

Well, that depends on where you live. RM Williams can and will resole screwed soles, but if you don't live in Australia this can make for a slow and expensive repair. Most cobblers can't do this (if anyone knows where you can have screwed soles replaced in the US, please post). So replacing the sole is a disadvantage. I got my Bushmans topy'd when they were new for this very reason. You can also have a leather half sole glued over a worn leather sole that looks pretty good. My wife has a pair of screwed sole bushmans with a Cuban heel, and the cobbler did a half sole repair on those.

rayuela

Reaction score
I've had a pair of Comfort Craftsman for a few months now and while I love the look and fit of the boot the one thing that doesn't make me reach for them as easily as for say my Alden Chukkas is the slight heel on the Craftsman. Does anyone else find this slightly uncomfortable? Is there a model without as much heel elevation? Can this be changed when I resole?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads