• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peter Luger

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Went there for the first time ever today for lunch there today with two friends; ordered the shrimp cocktail, creamed spinach, hash browns and a 28oz porterhouse for myself (billed as a "steak for two" but considering the fact that my friends both wanted burgers/had no desire to eat a steak done blue, as a I like it, I had it myself).

I liked the complete unpretentiousness of the place, the efficient waiters, the amazing sides and shrimp cocktail. And, of course, the quality and doneness of the steak itself were superb. That said, does anyone else get kind of nauseated by the greasiness of the steak? The piece of meat itself is easily the best non-Kobe/specialty beef I've ever had, but the fact that it sits in a puddle of grease/melted butter really took away from it and knocked it down a notch in my opinion. Is anyone else bothered by this/entertain thoughts that Luger's is overrated because of it?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A steak for two? Does that mean I have to saw at the thing like a jackass and ask around the table if anyone wants to split a steak with me?

Awful.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
A steak for two? Does that mean I have to saw at the thing like a jackass and ask around the table if anyone wants to split a steak with me?

Awful.

I haven't been there, but I believe it's sliced up and presented around the bone. That being said, it's a porterhouse that I saw served on TV.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
sfield and why, you guys have become so predictable when it comes to this food/restaurant threads. You're the Moo/Foo of this subfora.

Sometimes I swear I'm getting trolled.

I still have fun with it though.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
sfield and why, you guys have become so predictable when it comes to this food/restaurant threads. You're the Moo/Foo of this subfora.

Well I'm right so I don't mind being consistently right. Anyone who would pay good money at Peter Luger's for anything other than maybe a burger is either stupid or doesn't know any better.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I've never eaten at an "upscale" steakhouse-- Luger, Ruth's Chris, Mortons, etc. This fact makes me happy.

I don't think something like Craftsteak would be a waste of money.

HitMan009

Reaction score
Any damn place that celebrates the fact they serve charred meat is not a place any person with a palate should go to. Any place that brags they use 1000 degrees F to sear their steaks should themselves be burned down in 1000 degrees F.

Peter Luger by being so unpretentious is well basically being pretentious.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing I don't understand about Lugers is the fact that they don't let their steaks rest. As soon as they come out from under the broiler they slice it and bring it to the table.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I've never eaten at an "upscale" steakhouse-- Luger, Ruth's Chris, Mortons, etc. This fact makes me happy.

I like the BLT places a lot.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
One thing I don't understand about Lugers is the fact that they don't let their steaks rest. As soon as they come out from under the broiler they slice it and bring it to the table.

Think of it this way -- they are giving you the option to let it rest.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Which is why it's a bloody mess when it gets to you. It always looks like what some dumb asshole with a webber grill would make in his backyard.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Well I'm right so I don't mind being consistently right. Anyone who would pay good money at Peter Luger's for anything other than maybe a burger is either stupid or doesn't know any better.

foo.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads