Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Peter Luger

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by leftover_salmon, Dec 19, 2009.

1. leftover_salmon

leftover_salmon Senior member

Went there for the first time ever today for lunch there today with two friends; ordered the shrimp cocktail, creamed spinach, hash browns and a 28oz porterhouse for myself (billed as a "steak for two" but considering the fact that my friends both wanted burgers/had no desire to eat a steak done blue, as a I like it, I had it myself).

I liked the complete unpretentiousness of the place, the efficient waiters, the amazing sides and shrimp cocktail. And, of course, the quality and doneness of the steak itself were superb. That said, does anyone else get kind of nauseated by the greasiness of the steak? The piece of meat itself is easily the best non-Kobe/specialty beef I've ever had, but the fact that it sits in a puddle of grease/melted butter really took away from it and knocked it down a notch in my opinion. Is anyone else bothered by this/entertain thoughts that Luger's is overrated because of it?

2. SField

SField Senior member

Having been there recently... the mcdonalds of fine dining.

3. why

why Senior member

A steak for two? Does that mean I have to saw at the thing like a jackass and ask around the table if anyone wants to split a steak with me?

Awful.

4. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

A steak for two? Does that mean I have to saw at the thing like a jackass and ask around the table if anyone wants to split a steak with me?

Awful.

I haven't been there, but I believe it's sliced up and presented around the bone. That being said, it's a porterhouse that I saw served on TV.

5. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

sfield and why, you guys have become so predictable when it comes to this food/restaurant threads. You're the Moo/Foo of this subfora.

6. why

why Senior member

sfield and why, you guys have become so predictable when it comes to this food/restaurant threads. You're the Moo/Foo of this subfora.

Sometimes I swear I'm getting trolled.

I still have fun with it though.

7. SField

SField Senior member

Well I'm right so I don't mind being consistently right. Anyone who would pay good money at Peter Luger's for anything other than maybe a burger is either stupid or doesn't know any better.

8. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I've never eaten at an "upscale" steakhouse-- Luger, Ruth's Chris, Mortons, etc. This fact makes me happy.

9. SField

SField Senior member

I've never eaten at an "upscale" steakhouse-- Luger, Ruth's Chris, Mortons, etc. This fact makes me happy.

I don't think something like Craftsteak would be a waste of money.

10. HitMan009

HitMan009 Senior member

Any damn place that celebrates the fact they serve charred meat is not a place any person with a palate should go to. Any place that brags they use 1000 degrees F to sear their steaks should themselves be burned down in 1000 degrees F.

Peter Luger by being so unpretentious is well basically being pretentious.

11. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

One thing I don't understand about Lugers is the fact that they don't let their steaks rest. As soon as they come out from under the broiler they slice it and bring it to the table.

12. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I like the BLT places a lot.

13. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

One thing I don't understand about Lugers is the fact that they don't let their steaks rest. As soon as they come out from under the broiler they slice it and bring it to the table.

Think of it this way -- they are giving you the option to let it rest.

14. SField

SField Senior member

Which is why it's a bloody mess when it gets to you. It always looks like what some dumb asshole with a webber grill would make in his backyard.

15. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Well I'm right so I don't mind being consistently right. Anyone who would pay good money at Peter Luger's for anything other than maybe a burger is either stupid or doesn't know any better.

[​IMG]