• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most Overrated Musical Artists

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by casual_tuga
please do enlighten me....how exactly is he overrated? he is one of the greatest guitar virtuosos of the decade. he has played alongside the likes of Eric Clapton, Billy Gibbons, Slash and BB King. how many other "great guitarists" have had the opportunity (let alone dream) to share the stage with the Cream of the Crop of the guitar world? exceptional musician, yes. overrated? not even close.

- peace

Mayer's "skill" has been discussed in another thread already. I agree that he is completely overrated and his abilities are no better than anyone other professional guitarist. Virtuoso is a very big word and shouldn't be easily thrown around like that. He is essentially a blues guitarist that has a pop music fan base and to them playing the language of blues would wrongly associate such ability as talent.

Compared to other western styles of music blues has a very limited musical vocabulary (don't get me wrong I too like blues music). 12 bar blues is the foundation of the style and for obvious reasons it is very limited on what one can do within the structure to maintain the style. How else do you think all of the other uneducated guitarists get by (there are exceptions of course - Hendrix and SRV for example)? Isn't it odd that most of them end up playing blues? It's simply because it's the easiest style to pick up.

Also, the cross section of the genera is quite short nearly leading to the "you've heard it once, you've heard it all mentality". Mayer cannot and will not do anything beyond what he already does, which in of itself is nothing new or worthy of applying talent-association to.

ANIKETOS

Reaction score
Alot are overrated..I am sure these have been mentioned but the top i can think of are U2,Jay Z, and madonna.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Jay-Z

Has anyone mentioned Aerosmith yet? Yes, some of their songs are great, but their body of work, considering they've been around 30 years, is pretty light.

stewartu

Reaction score
How about:

Bob Dylan
Lou Reed
Deep Purple

There's plenty out there that you think you're supposed to like but are just not really that likable.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stewartu
How about:

Bob Dylan
Lou Reed
Deep Purple

There's plenty out there that you think you're supposed to like but are just not really that likable.

Dylan is the only one that belongs on that list. The other two fall into the category of "you have to be highly rated before you can be considered overrated."

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
U2
Kanye West
Jay-Z
Bruce Springsteen (ridiculously overrated)

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Dylan is the only one that belongs on that list.

plain.gif

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
plain.gif

Actually my post was imprecisely worded. I don't agree that Dylan was overrated. I only contend that he's the only one on that list highly enough rated to even qualify as overrated. I believe Dylan is about properly rated.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Actually my post was imprecisely worded. I don't agree that Dylan was overrated. I only contend that he's the only one on that list highly enough rated to even qualify as overrated. I believe Dylan is about properly rated.

smile.gif

AThingForCashmere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
Has anyone mentioned Aerosmith yet?

No, and for good reason.

Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
Yes, some of their songs are great, but their body of work, considering they've been around 30 years, is pretty light.

It's almost 40 years, and Aerosmith has released 15 albums of original material during that time. That may be light compared to a few groups who've been around as long (e.g. the Stones), but not compared to most (Pink Floyd, The Who etc).

Also, have you ever seen them in concert? I wasn't a big fan until I did. Joe Perry is amazing.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that snl performance was something. he cannot sing a lick.

Originally Posted by Albern
I don't know if its been mentioned yet but Bon Jovi.

I just don't get it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads