• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most Overrated Musical Artists

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by life_interrupts
I disagree. I actually think that of all those British Invasion bands, the Who actually holds up over time, could get more love. But I get why you might think they're overdone.

For me,
The Beatles
The Stones (since Sticky Fingers)
Prince (since Sign of the Times -- and I'm a huge fan)
Tupac
Parliament/Funkadelic
Oasis (what a waste of energy spent on that band)

facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

Anyone who thinks Parliament/Funkadelic is over rated needs to check themselves into a mental institution.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zintintin
Get the **** out.

yep, i said it, and yep i meant it.

I still like RATM though. They're fun. I just don't find them that interesting. Good for parties, but not to actually listen to in my own time.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ld111134
Interpol. I saw them at Lollapalooza a while back. What a snoozer.

Yeah, but they're largely responsible for the renewed interest in post punk over the past decade.

Casual

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
Yeah, but they're largely responsible for the renewed interest in post punk over the past decade.

Maybe, but I think that was due more to the film 24 Hour Party People which was released right before they hit it big.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tibor
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
Anyone who thinks Parliament/Funkadelic is over rated needs to check themselves into a mental institution.

Umm, if you saw them before 1980, I'm willing to discuss this with you. But if you're talking about the mutation that's been traveling around the country for the better part of 25 years, STFU. I've seen them in the last 15 years. Fun show, but it's a oldies revue. The band's early incarnation is without question brilliant (RIP Eddie Hazel), but that stopped as of about 1979 (Knee Deep). Except for "Atomic Dog" and Clinton's work on the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Freaky Styley, it's been nearly 3 decades of schlock. Just like the Stones get added for the downward turn over the year, so does Parliament.

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tibor
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

true story.

I went to see Parliment in New Orleans (Tipitinas if anyone's familiar) back in '99. They were headlining and had 2 local opening acts. the forst was the Rebirth Brass Band and the second...The Meters. no, not "the funky meters" not some reiteration of the meters gone by. THE Meters.

Parliment came on around 12:30ish. played about 3 songs before Clinton even walked out on stage. he came out. declared that Parliment couldn't hold up to it. they were completely shut down.

I still love me some P-Funk but after that...well, a little less funky is all.

sleeptheclock

Reaction score
Coldplay, definitely. They have some good songs but most of their stuff is a snooze.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Casual
Maybe, but I think that was due more to the film 24 Hour Party People which was released right before they hit it big.

Come on, it was a Lollapalooza show. What indie rock band is good in a festival context? And Interpol isn't even rated that highly, at that. Hell, I don't even like them, and I think your opinion is marginally unreasonable.

Casual

Reaction score
Come on, it was a Lollapalooza show. What indie rock band is good in a festival context? And Interpol isn't even rated that highly, at that. Hell, I don't even like them, and I think your opinion is marginally unreasonable.

I think you're confusing me with the Lollapalooza attendee. I'm the one who thinks your comment about them renewing interest in post punk was a stretch.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I rather liked "Turn On The Bright Lights", or perhaps the album cover plus title was enticing. It didn't quite have the creatively sinister nature of some of the "original" post-punk, but it was tolerable enough for me to buy an LP of them.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Casual
I think you're confusing me with the Lollapalooza attendee. I'm the one who thinks your comment about them renewing interest in post punk was a stretch.
Oh, right. I've got nothing, then.
Originally Posted by LabelKing
but it was tolerable enough for me to buy an LP of them.
Haha, 'This music is somewhat tolerable. I suppose I'll buy it.'

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sting

casual_tuga

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tigerFormula
John mayer is seriously overrated.

please do enlighten me....how exactly is he overrated? he is one of the greatest guitar virtuosos of the decade. he has played alongside the likes of Eric Clapton, Billy Gibbons, Slash and BB King. how many other "great guitarists" have had the opportunity (let alone dream) to share the stage with the Cream of the Crop of the guitar world? exceptional musician, yes. overrated? not even close.

- peace

DDSJohnny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by casual_tuga
please do enlighten me....how exactly is he overrated? he is one of the greatest guitar virtuosos of the decade. he has played alongside the likes of Eric Clapton, Billy Gibbons, Slash and BB King. how many other "great guitarists" have had the opportunity (let alone dream) to share the stage with the Cream of the Crop of the guitar world? exceptional musician, yes. overrated? not even close.

- peace

agreed, as long as he's not playing some stupid poppy teen heart throb vomit. mayer quite possibly is my favorite guitarist to have arose within the last 10 years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads