• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Events and PSA thread

LaoHu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jack2000
No, Leonard Cohen.

I stand corrected. Cohen is indeed the original author. Buckley, one of many covers, achieved considerable commercial success with his version, something that eluded Cohen's.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
By your logic then, the entire B&S forum should be shut down.

Originally Posted by illeagle
My logic? What's my logic exactly? Where did I state that anything should be shut down?

I even said I do resale myself, but I expect that any source could get shut off for me for any multitude of reasons -- as anyone doing it should expect. Try reading before hitting that reply button next time.

My point is that we have an entire subforum here dedicated to the same 'lazy business' that this woman was engaged in.

A subforum that a lot of us here benefit from, especially those of us located in cities where the items are not readily available at accessible prices.

Therefore, it should be somewhat understandable why people on here take issue with what happened and are not, in fact, 'holier than thou' or 'entitled'.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How Ironic.

A few weeks ago I was contacted via PM about the seller by another member here and I offered my opinions and did nothing more.

Over the weekend the discussion came up publicly about this and again I offered my opinions and nothing more. But everyone wanted clarification about it and I was in a position to offer that clarification as I deal directly with Begg so I was chosen to email Begg and ask them if it was legitimate and perhaps save members from being ripped off. Up until Begg wasnt Happy that their product was being sold on eBay I was everyone's hero.

When in fact Begg got wind of it (and how were they supposed to answer if it was legitimate without a link?) and they got upset about it and wanted to no longer sell this woman I became the villain for "shutting this woman down."

Just so we understand, if I wanted to shut this woman down I would have said that my Begg rep said that they were fakes instead of saying that that they were legit.

Par for the course.

Whatever.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
they got upset about it and wanted to no longer sell this woman

I don't disagree with what you say, but just to satisfy my own curiosity, did the email from begg make it sound that they knew what was going on but ambivalently decided to let it go, or rather that the situation has just now come to their attention?

Max Inseam

Reaction score
People have got to learn to order from the Chinese menu of life. Even a PSA thread like this could have gotten the seller shut down, if Begg learned of it, but many here seem to appreciate the thread nonetheless. People were happy to have FIHTies inquire into authenticity until the scarves proved authentic. It is just ridiculous, and rather unfair, to level accusations when the outcome is that the merchandise is proved authentic but the seller takes steps to stop the re-selling. That is a possible outcome of public discussion. Live with it.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
I don't disagree with what you say, but just to satisfy my own curiosity, did the email from begg make it sound that they knew what was going on but ambivalently decided to let it go, or rather that the situation has just now come to their attention?
Witrhout going into details I have found with many wholesale sellers and all the more so as of late and perhaps thats due to the economy, is that what is reality and what they would like you to believe is realty are not necessarily the same thing.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Witrhout going into details I have found with many wholesale sellers and all the more so as of late and perhaps thats due to the economy, is that what is reality and what they would like you to believe is realty are not necessarily the same thing.

Understood. Which leads me to this:

Originally Posted by UnFacconable
I'm surprised no one here has stood up for Begg.

I don't have a problem with your post at all; I'm just taking the sentence out of context. But...

Since we don't know what Begg knew, and since we certainly don't want to rehearse what some have perceived so objectionable in this thread (jumping to conclusions without evidence), why stand up for Begg?

If they were ambivalent/uneasy/uncomfortable about the situation it could just as easily mean that they knew but decided not to act because they were both happy and unhappy with the situation: unhappy because their relatively inaccessible products were being made more accessible; happy because their products were moving.

If this is infact the case (and we don't know, but neither do we know otherwise), let's drop the tone of ethics and morals in some accusations since Begg would be no more ethical if they have decided to exercise a sense of ethics, not in an over-riding manner, but only as the situation now demands.

snorky

Reaction score
How Ironic.

A few weeks ago I was contacted via PM about the seller by another member here and I offered my opinions and did nothing more.

Over the weekend the discussion came up publicly about this and again I offered my opinions and nothing more. But everyone wanted clarification about it and I was in a position to offer that clarification as I deal directly with Begg so I was chosen to email Begg and ask them if it was legitimate and perhaps save members from being ripped off. Up until Begg wasnt Happy that their product was being sold on eBay I was everyone's hero.

When in fact Begg got wind of it (and how were they supposed to answer if it was legitimate without a link?) and they got upset about it and wanted to no longer sell this woman I became the villain for "shutting this woman down."

Just so we understand, if I wanted to shut this woman down I would have said that my Begg rep said that they were fakes instead of saying that that they were legit.

Par for the course.

Whatever.

Please do not take this personally we have no malice towards you whatsoever. All you did was contact the retailer to confirm the product was genuine. You acted in good faith throughout, to the benefit of this forum, which is an honorouble gesture. I believe there is a misinterpretation here.
My concern was with the people who insisted the product was fake and wrote articles with such great conviction while knowing very little.

Not sure where"Trinis" coming from with the "Lazy business" my wife's a housewife making pin money, not that dastardly is it really ?

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
Yes, there's always that chance they are fake . But then again, any chance some of our SF members are fake?
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

The scarves were real. Any chance some our SF members are fake?
Fake as in full of sh*t? Hell yes!! Just reread this thread
sneaky2.gif

peepwall[1].gif

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by snorky
Not sure where"Trinis" coming from with the "Lazy business" my wife's a housewife making pin money, not that dastardly is it really ?

Just to clarify - I was simply quoting the previous posts re: 'lazy business'. I personally do not agree and believe your wife has every right to sell the scarves.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With any luck Begg won't take any steps to stop what she is doing. They must have known that the scarves were being re-sold considering how many she was picking up.

Originally Posted by illeagle
Hilarious reaction on this thread. Some people have a real sense of entitlement and "holier than thou"ness on this board.

The woman is running a business in a lazy fashion. She buys stuff from the factory outlet and she re-sells it online. I have done second hand resale and discount store resale, but I do that with the full expectation that one day it could end for any multitude of reasons. Begg has every right to cut her off and she should expect that. It's unbelievable how easily some of you are catching feelings because her husband came on here and whined about the situation. It's a BUSINESS, people.

And people are absolutely ludicrous for blaming FIHTies... it's an incredible juxtaposition actually. He legitimately sells Begg and she does it the lazy way, and yet people are blaming him for his concern that someone may be selling fakes. It turns out that she's selling real ones, but, nonetheless, she's hurting his bottom line.

So, the majority of you are blaming someone for seeking an ultimate decision on whether these are fakes or not since no one knew for sure. The majority of you are blaming Begg for stopping someone from undercutting them. The majority of you are empathizing with a woman you don't know for not being able to handle her business without letting her and her husband's emotions get in the way. Waaaaaah.

Crush the little guys. Crush!!! Them!!!

Lazy? It sounds like she's just a housewife trying to make a bit of cash on the side through the good fortune of living in close proximity to Begg.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Just to clarify - I was simply quoting the previous posts re: 'lazy business'. I personally do not agree and believe your wife has every right to sell the scarves.

And Begg has every right not to sell to his wife.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The shoe sale is coming...sorry I lost the email notification...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads