• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Events and PSA thread

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
And Begg has every right not to sell to his wife.

Begg certainly has every right not to sell to her. That doesn't negate that it sucks for her. It does not appear that she wasn't doing anything wrong or violating any agreement with Begg. By all accounts from her prior sales, she was an honorable and courteous seller. I've purchased things from outlets to resell. While I could understand a decision to ban me from making purchases, I would still be pissed if I were told I could no longer purchase from them. I think a little sympathy is warranted for someone who, for no fault of her own, has lost the ability to do something she clearly wanted to continue doing.

I also think feeling a little sympathy is warranted for someone who numerous members outright and implicitly accused of selling fakes. That's a nasty accusation that goes straight to a person's honor and integrity. If people accused anybody here of selling fakes when he was not, I would think he would also be expected to feel highly offended.

JBA

Reaction score
Realising that Jos AB is mid tier at best does anyone know about their cashmere quality?

On one hand, fabric is fabric (presuming 100% cashmere) on the other if its very thin & or badly constructed I'd prefer not to bother.

Would $180 on 3 cheap Jos cashmere sweaters be worth the trade off of spending that on one wool Smedley for example?

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I decided not to wear a scarf today in a mute show of solidarity with all my brethren who have toiled in this thread.

Did you feel cold then?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBA
Realising that Jos AB is mid tier at best does anyone know about their cashmere quality?

On one hand, fabric is fabric (presuming 100% cashmere) on the other if its very thin & or badly constructed I'd prefer not to bother.

Would $180 on 3 cheap Jos cashmere sweaters be worth the trade off of spending that on one wool Smedley for example?

This is not true. There is poor quality cashmere and good quality cashmere. JAB is certainly closer to the former.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
+1. I haven't read the entire thread, but how did Begg get word of this in the first place? They should have stayed out. And I don't think the seller should have been apprised of an internal discussion on SF. If potential purchasers want assurances of authenticity of the auction item, they e-mail the seller and can share here if necessary, these assurances do not require defense of the seller's business or goods via a public posting on SF of which the seller isn't even a member. SF can be ridiculous some times.

+1

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
+1. I haven't read the entire thread, but how did Begg get word of this in the first place? They should have stayed out. And I don't think the seller should have been apprised of an internal discussion on SF.

Originally Posted by texas_jack
+1

It was a collaborative process (myself included):

Has anyone asked Begg?
lurker[1].gif
Looking forward to hearing from FIH.
Eagerly awaiting FIHTies and anybody elses feedback.
FIHTies, some of us are eagerly awaiting any reply from Begg itself. if you would be so kind as to poast whatever you hear
cheers.gif
It's not difficult to imagine how something like this can go down on a fashion forum. We asked for expertise on the issue and we got it. It's not like anyone was expecting to wake up to a post from the husband of the 'assailed'.

Montrachet

Reaction score
Come on, Chicago location!

Siggy

Reaction score
What a SF soap opera! FIHTies was just tryin to help a brother out. The complaining hubby can certainly complain, but fakes are everywhere so there is no harm in being cautious. Maybe tomorrow I will also go scarfless in a showing of humble solidarity for poor ebay buyers and sellers who get screwed....on second thought, maybe I won't.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
This is not true. There is poor quality cashmere and good quality cashmere. JAB is certainly closer to the former.

+1. But I have bought cheap cahmere (Bloomingdales brand) that was great and more expensive cashmere (Theory, Armani, Brooks Brothers,..) that was crap. You really have to see and feel it in person.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Siggy
there is no harm in being cautious.

Well, I think the seller would disagree with this.

B1FF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by snorky
To all those ill informed people have a nice xmas maybe you should check your facts before killing an opportunity for someone to purchase a quality item at a reasonable price and stop a very small business opportunity from developing.
Finally, thanks to those few people who offered a few kind words.

My wife remains upset by the whole business.

This place is full of poorly socialized net nerds. Normally they just insult each other. In this case they decided to pick on your wife and ruined a great deal for all of us. Too bad.

Bellum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bellum
Any chance these are fake? Just seems odd for someone to have this much Begg cashmere (almost 100 if you count completed listings..

^^ I don't think I or others asked such a horrible question.

Frankly, even after the seller's husband stated here that they are authentic I still wasn't convinced because I've never seen a fake sold on eBay that WASN'T guaranteed 110% authentic. Also I don't know this brand new SF.net member from Adam.

It's unfortunate for both the reseller and for us buyers that Begg will supposedly limit this reselling. I'm not sure I believe that anyway. eBay is not a big secret and when someone comes in and buys 50 scarves it's pretty obvious what's going on. I'm hoping this will blow over and the reseller will still be able to get some Begg.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads