Official Events and PSA thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Jan 21, 2009.

1. marc237

marc237 Senior member

My Apologies if this has been posted before. Seems like a pretty good deal:

http://www.josbank.com/webapp/wcs/st...p:ReferralView

The true news story would be if Jos A Bank sold at retail. Now, that would be different!

2. academe

academe Senior member

FIHTies- Unfortunately due to the press we recieved. Begg has informed my wife that the sale of these goods on ebay compromises their market and have withdrawn from selling to her.
    To those people who purchased a scarf, you got a bargain, To all those ill informed people have a nice xmas maybe you should check your facts before killing an opportunity for someone to purchase a quality item at a reasonable price and stop a very small business opportunity from developing.
    Finally, thanks to those few people who offered a few kind words.

My wife remains upset by the whole business.

Snorky - this is very unfortunate, and you and your wife have my sympathies. All of you stone throwers should feel ashamed... Merry christmas! [​IMG]

3. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

Snorky - this is very unfortunate, and you and your wife have my sympathies. All of you stone throwers should feel ashamed... Merry christmas! [​IMG]

It is a shame, really. But it is legitimate to ask the original manufacturer of goods about the authenticity of a product. Let's be honest.
    I was in doubt and I waited for the responses on this thread. Now that is has been clarified they sell the real thing I do feel sorry for them and their business. Have a Merry Christmas.

4. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

Not sure why some people on here are getting angry at some unidentified "stone-throwing" posters.

There were well-reasoned skeptics, and well-reasoned advocates. That's it.

I was one of the people who reasoned that they were unlikely to be fakes; other reasoned NOT that they were, but that they COULD be.

And why can't she sell elsewhere? She can go to the factory, purchase as many as she wants, and do whatever the hell she pleases.

5. dshin

dshin Senior member

I am glad I took a leap of faith and bought one when the PSA was originally posted.
    It's a shame how everything turned out though.....

6. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

7. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

And why can't she sell elsewhere? She can go to the factory, purchase as many as she wants, and do whatever the hell she pleases.

Really? Then you don't understand what the unfortunate ending is about, do you?

8. tor

tor Senior member

Clearly this was an unfortunate event. It's regrettable that this woman was upset by this and that Begg has decided to be bastards about it. But honestly, can you blame the people on here for being suspicious? High quality goods at a very low price, a length that's unfamiliar to most, tags that don't seem to match with previously bought goods. You may say that they should have given the lady the benefit of the doubt, but giving someone the benefit of the doubt on eBay is almost never advisable. Like I said, it sucks that the whole thing got shut down because of this, but people were just being cautious buyers, and as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing wrong with that. Enough people have gotten burned making online purchases either through eBay or on here that being overcautious is always better.

9. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

The only thing(s) that went wrong here is someone linked the woman to this thread and possibly Begg to the ebay auction(s).

10. academe

academe Senior member

Not sure why some people on here are getting angry at some unidentified "stone-throwing" posters.

I was one of the people who reasoned that they were unlikely to be fakes; other reasoned NOT that they were, but that they COULD be.

I'm glad you have such a finely tuned moral compass and an equally finely tuned sense of compassion.

11. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

The only thing(s) that went wrong here is someone linked the woman to this thread and possibly Begg to the ebay auction(s).

+1. I haven't read the entire thread, but how did Begg get word of this in the first place? They should have stayed out. And I don't think the seller should have been apprised of an internal discussion on SF. If potential purchasers want assurances of authenticity of the auction item, they e-mail the seller and can share here if necessary, these assurances do not require defense of the seller's business or goods via a public posting on SF of which the seller isn't even a member. SF can be ridiculous some times.

12. academe

academe Senior member

With respect to the stone-throwes, I was referring specifically to IndianBoyz and few others who kept stating they were fake, even though this wasn't clearly established. Perhaps he's been shamed into deleting his prior posts?

13. academe

academe Senior member

+1. I haven't read the entire thread, but how did Begg get word of this in the first place? They should have stayed out. And I don't think the seller should have been apprised of an internal discussion on SF. If potential purchasers want assurances of authenticity of the auction item, they e-mail the seller and can share here if necessary, these assurances do not require defense of the seller's business or goods via a public posting on SF of which the seller isn't even a member. SF can be ridiculous some times.

Begg was notified because FIH decide to weigh and contacted them directly, probably letting them know about the Ebay link.

14. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

With respect to the stone-throwes, I was referring specifically to IndianBoyz and few others who kept stating they were fake, even though this wasn't clearly established. Perhaps he's been shamed into deleting his prior posts?

Yes you got me there for real. But I have not contacted the company so don't blame me for your loss.

15. Low Budget

Low Budget Well-Known Member

Even though FIH's intentions were honest, telling about the seller etc. instead of merely displaying pictures of the scarves to his source, was unnecessary and a bit clumsy, in my eyes...