• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

altemp

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the help.
smile.gif

obnavox3

Reaction score
I recently purchased the Nudie Jeans Average Joe Dry Heavy in size 30x32. The actual waist is 31, the rise is 10, the thigh is 10.75, the knee is 8.25, and the leg opening is 8. I like these a lot but I could use another pair of jeans within the same price range of $150-$200. I am not tall, lanky guy and this cut works the best for me. I like the 3Sixteen SL-100x - Straight Leg Indigo Selvedge jeans http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...roducts_id=438
If I were to buy some APC denim however, would it be wiser to get the New Standard or Rescue?

mr. burns

Reaction score
i'm gonna get my jeans tapered because they're really close to dragging behind my heals when wearing my vans. would a 7.5" leg opening be small enough to solve that? they're 8" now.

Arms_Akimbo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by obnavox3
I recently purchased the Nudie Jeans Average Joe Dry Heavy in size 30x32. The actual waist is 31, the rise is 10, the thigh is 10.75, the knee is 8.25, and the leg opening is 8. I like these a lot but I could use another pair of jeans within the same price range of $150-$200. I am not tall, lanky guy and this cut works the best for me. I like the 3Sixteen SL-100x - Straight Leg Indigo Selvedge jeans http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...roducts_id=438
If I were to buy some APC denim however, would it be wiser to get the New Standard or Rescue?

I think the SL100 is what you're looking for but the Rescue in 29 (31 actual waist) would be a little looser than your AJ's, and the New Standard will be slimmer and more tapered. The AJ is between those fits.

Originally Posted by mr. burns
i'm gonna get my jeans tapered because they're really close to dragging behind my heals when wearing my vans. would a 7.5" leg opening be small enough to solve that? they're 8" now.

My Left Fields stack on Chucks with a 7.5" hem, FWIW.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by altemp
Can a bootcut jean be tapered? Or is that a stupid question? I found a pair with a wash I liked but they were bootcut and looked a little dumb at the bottom with my sneakers.

Yes, definitely, but it's going to look a bit odd of the taper is at a different rate from the knee down than it is from the thigh to the knee.

DaSteez

Reaction score
Wassup guys? im rly interested in these 3 brands for my first pair of jeans but I cant find many online stores(especially for n&f, didnt find any) so I was wondering if you guys could hook me up with some.

Thx in advance.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DaSteez
Wassup guys? im rly interested in these 3 brands for my first pair of jeans but I cant find many online stores(especially for n&f, didnt find any) so I was wondering if you guys could hook me up with some.

Thx in advance.

Farinelli's also sells N&F and Context sells KMW.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think with my big thighs (23" at biggest part) and the fact that their going to get bigger, I've narrowed my first raw denim choice to two picks. N&F slim guy or APC rescues. Which would be a better pick? I'm 5'11, if that makes any difference. I'm wanting to rotate desert boots, katahdins and chucks shoe wise. Would I need to buy a more tapered jean to wear with chucks or will these suffice?

Secondly, I have a measured 31" waist right below my navel. Should I buy a 28 in the rescues and a 30 in the N&F?

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
I think with my big thighs (23" at biggest part) and the fact that their going to get bigger, I've narrowed my first raw denim choice to two picks. N&F slim guy or APC rescues. Which would be a better pick? I'm 5'11, if that makes any difference. I'm wanting to rotate desert boots, katahdins and chucks shoe wise. Would I need to buy a more tapered jean to wear with chucks or will these suffice?

Secondly, I have a measured 31" waist right below my navel. Should I buy a 28 in the rescues and a 30 in the N&F?

yes for 28 in rescue

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This idea sounds really stupid but has anyone here tried microwaving their jeans? When you stick metals in a microwave all these crazy ass sparks will come out so if the microwaves hit one of the rivets it will shoot out this crazy ass shock into the jeans and it could like make cool burn fades or something.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
This idea sounds really stupid but has anyone here tried microwaving their jeans? When you stick metals in a microwave all these crazy ass sparks will come out so if the microwaves hit one of the rivets it will shoot out this crazy ass shock into the jeans and it could like make cool burn fades or something.

you were right about it sounding stupid

tjc4golf

Reaction score
I bought a pair of jeans (Marc Jacobs for Wrangler) recently and am now just breaking them in (approx. one week of wear). I see a few things about them that I'd change but overall I'm happy with them. Since I like them I'm considering picking up a second pair but, as I'm by no means a jeans expert, I was hoping I could get a critique from some more knowledgeable sources first.

Here are front, back, left and right shots of the jeans as well a photoshopped photo showing the spots I see as improper fit.

What do people think about the overall fit? Should I buy a second pair or should I look to do better.

Also, I'm considering having the length shortened by 0.5" to 1" but I'm a bit confused about this procedure and worried about the execution risk so I might not have it done. Is it important to find someone who can chain stitch? Also, I've seen a lot of discussion of "original hem" but am having trouble picturing this and haven't been able to locate any photos... could someone take another shot at explaining this, or, ideally, point me in the direction of some photos that depict this?

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads