• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Usain Bolt

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
It depends on the event. In the 100m it matters a lot.

which is why a number of the fastest men ever didn't have good starts? Bolt, Bailey, and I believe Maurice Green just to name a few...

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
which is why a number of the fastest men ever didn't have good starts? Bolt, Bailey, and I believe Maurice Green just to name a few...
No, the simple mechanics of the 100m place more emphasis on acceleration out of the box. When races are decided by 0.05 seconds, it tends to matter more than when the 0.05 seconds can be spread over 200m or 400m. I don't know what you're referring to with Donovan Bailey and Maurice Greene. Every sprinter has bad starts from time to time, but Greene in particular was pretty fast out of the box.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Am I the only white male that doesn't find the onion funny at all?

no

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
No, the simple mechanics of the 100m place more emphasis on acceleration out of the box. When races are decided by 0.05 seconds, it tends to matter more than when the 0.05 seconds can be spread over 200m or 400m.

I don't know what you're referring to with Donovan Bailey and Maurice Greene. Every sprinter has bad starts from time to time, but Greene in particular was pretty fast out of the box.

Well Bailey was known for his slow starts and having watched the 100m event for quite some time I know he and Bolt aren't the only championship and world record holding sprinters to do most of their dominating more to the middle of the race.

FiveFiveFive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Deacon
It's really freaky to consider that Bolt would have utterly smoked

1. Ben Johnson
2. Carl Lewis
not to mention some of the heroes of my youth by 10,15 or so yards:

Steve Williams
Houston McTear
Bob Hayes
Don Woods
Ivory Crockett
Harvey Glance
V. Borzov

I thought about this today. We've seen the 100 world record broken maybe 10 times since 1990, but never like this. The top guys would chip away at the record. There was that 4-5-year stretch when Carl Lewis, Leroy Burrell and Donovan Bailey each broke the world record in the 100 by one or two hundredths of a second at a time. It went from 9.90 to 9.86 to 9.85 to 9.84. Then Maurice Greene and Asafa Powell got in the act and shaved off a couple more at a time.

What Bolt is doing to the record is ridiculous. He isn't just chipping away, he's smashing them. It sort of makes me feel old. Kids today are probably looking at the 100 times from the 80s and 90s and viewing Lewis and Burrell -- the superathletes of our time -- as lesser beings. Kind of like how we laugh at basketball players from the 50s and 60s.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
as much as I'll believe that Phidippedes (sic) had no trouble covering the 25+ from Sparta to Rome.
I think you are confused. As far as I know Phidippidès (or Pheidippidès) was an Athenian who, according to Herodotus, was sent as a messenger from Athens to Sparta during the first Persian war. He supposedly ran the 250km between the two cities, over rough roads, in less than two days. It's quite a feat, but not impossible. My father, a few years back, ran more than 130 km over rough roads in the mountain in less than two days and he was more than 50 and not an athlete. I have no difficulty believing that a trained athlete could run 250 km. Some people also attribute to the same guy the (probably mythical) run from Marathon to Athens after the victory of the same name during the first Persian war, but this seems to be a confusion (Plutarch talks about a certain "Thersippus" and Lucian about one "Philippidès"). I am not aware of a messenger sent from Sparta to Rome. When would that have happened? Maybe during Agis' rebellion against Macedonian rule?

superfans124

Reaction score
I'm just gonna go with "innocent until proven guilty", if he turns out to be another marion jones, I'll jump on the wagon to tear his ass up in no time, but for now, I just want to celebrate his otherworldly ability.

I think when I was a kid, breaking 9.8 was the barrier, this is mind-blowing. and isn't there a theoretical human physical limit, around 9.6 that the body will be torn apart by itself at that speed?

Wrigglez

Reaction score
what he has done for the sport if fantastic, so many kids will hopefuly try athletics ect.
i dont believe he is dopping, i think there are some anomalies in life and he is one of them.
i really hope he is clean.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
USA DQed from the 4x100m. Apparently they passed the baton too early in the anchor leg. I'm just glad it wasn't Doc Patton again, he's one of the nicest athletes I've ever met.

A counter protest was filed by the US coaches so it isn't over yet.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
I think you are confused.

As far as I know Phidippidès (or Pheidippidès) was an Athenian who, according to Herodotus, was sent as a messenger from Athens to Sparta during the first Persian war. He supposedly ran the 250km between the two cities, over rough roads, in less than two days. It's quite a feat, but not impossible. My father, a few years back, ran more than 130 km over rough roads in the mountain in less than two days and he was more than 50 and not an athlete. I have no difficulty believing that a trained athlete could run 250 km.

Some people also attribute to the same guy the (probably mythical) run from Marathon to Athens after the victory of the same name during the first Persian war, but this seems to be a confusion (Plutarch talks about a certain "Thersippus" and Lucian about one "Philippidès").

I am not aware of a messenger sent from Sparta to Rome. When would that have happened? Maybe during Agis' rebellion against Macedonian rule?

I don't think you read my posts very often. But I learned a lot from your post though. Thanks!

JMSBNSN

Reaction score
"Seriously, dozens in every pro ball sport better all-around athletes than Bolt. Kobe, Ichiro, Joe Mauer, DMcN, Vick, Moss. On and on." -Skip Bayless

I usually agree with Skip, but this statement he made on twitter is bullshit. There's no way the latter are better athletes than Bolt

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads