• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Usain Bolt

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Especially since they were rather diminutive. Bolt's greatest anthropometric advantages is his height.

And this is why people are starting to look into that leaner body type rather than the super muscular sprinter type we've seen over the last few decades.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I enjoy track and unfortunately always wonder a little bit too if these sprinters are juicing. In any case, if they are all juicing, he is still WAY faster than the rest of them. The mental game is also huge in track, especially in the shorter distances. So he is still a great athlete regardless of what the clock reads.

People are certainly capable of running these speeds. Back when people used to have to chase animals the average man was probably as fast as an Olympic athlete.

I was never too into the 100m. The 400m and 800m are more grueling and I enjoy those a little bit more. Watching a fast mile in person is crazy too. Those guys run their splits as fast as I can sprint one lap.

There was an interesting documentary on Carl Lewis and the science behind the 100m is pretty crazy. The human body can only accelerate 8 strides or something, so the person who slows down the least at the end will finish ahead.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
And this is why people are starting to look into that leaner body type rather than the super muscular sprinter type we've seen over the last few decades.
Most 100m and 200m sprinters are going to be 'built' compared to average people. It's a lot different from the gorilla arms seen in the gym, though -- sprinters are actually strong.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Most 100m and 200m sprinters are going to be 'built' compared to average people. It's a lot different from the gorilla arms seen in the gym, though -- sprinters are actually strong.

No, I'm talking about the sprinters themselves re-evaluating what the ideal body type is.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally would like to see a separate "juiced" olympics. I would love to see people sprint the 100m in 5. I realise it doesn't celebrate the pinnacle of man etc, but goddamn it would be entertaining.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Especially since they were rather diminutive. Bolt's greatest anthropometric advantages is his height.

Exactly. Bolt is not only quite tall, but his legs are also long compared to his torso. Therefore, his strides are long.

It's interesting to watch him race, as his starts are actually weak when compared to some of the other runners, who seem to have more explosive force out of the blocks. Bolt's leg length/length of stride allows him to make up for his slower start, though.

If he could get his starts sorted, I really think that he'll be able to whittle another couple of tenths of a second off his best time without any problems.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Exactly. Bolt is not only quite tall, but his legs are also long compared to his torso. Therefore, his strides are long.

It's interesting to watch him race, as his starts are actually weak when compared to some of the other runners, who seem to have more explosive force out of the blocks. Bolt's leg length/length of stride allows him to make up for his slower start, though.

If he could get his starts sorted, I really think that he'll be able to whittle another couple of tenths of a second off his best time without any problems.

He'll never be able to start as good as shorter guys with shorter legs. It's like torque and horsepower in a car. The torque (shorter guys) will be able to accelerate fast but then peak out quicker, while the horsepower (taller guys) will get you going faster but it will just take a little longer.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I'm talking about the sprinters themselves re-evaluating what the ideal body type is.

They're not much different. One of the fastest white guys around is 195lbs @ 6'1".

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Exactly. Bolt is not only quite tall, but his legs are also long compared to his torso. Therefore, his strides are long. It's interesting to watch him race, as his starts are actually weak when compared to some of the other runners, who seem to have more explosive force out of the blocks. Bolt's leg length/length of stride allows him to make up for his slower start, though. If he could get his starts sorted, I really think that he'll be able to whittle another couple of tenths of a second off his best time without any problems.
World record sprinters don't necessarily have to have good starts. There are a number of them who were in fact fairly behind before decimating everyone else, because they accelerate when it's most important. Also, the best starters don't always even finish in the top 3.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
World record sprinters don't necessarily have to have good starts

It depends on the event. In the 100m it matters a lot.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's really freaky to consider that Bolt would have utterly smoked

1. Ben Johnson
2. Carl Lewis
not to mention some of the heroes of my youth by 10,15 or so yards:

Steve Williams
Houston McTear
Bob Hayes
Don Woods
Ivory Crockett
Harvey Glance
V. Borzov

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrome_dout
To me, this thread is full of jealous Americans, afraid of losing their dominance in Track. Its the easiest way to explain all the antagonistic viewpoints on Bolt running a clean race. I wonder how many naysayers would be arguing had Gay won and set a record?

If Gay has also mysteriously dropped his personal best by almost .5 seconds in a short period of time, I'd suspect him of doping as well.

Originally Posted by The Deacon
This discussion is reminiscent of FLO-JO. Wasn't she suspected of being on HGH, died of enlarged heart or something in her sleep? IN '84 she was running 11.+ in the 100 meters and was shapely enough to be a star in the SF Back Door Thread and in 88 she shatters the record and runs 10.49 with the lantern jaw and muscles?

Sort of obvious she was on something. Same with Marion Jones.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads