• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Usain Bolt

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by superfans124
and isn't there a theoretical human physical limit, around 9.6 that the body will be torn apart by itself at that speed?

That's why it's a theory. I'd like to see someone get to 21' on the pole vault.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMSBNSN
"Seriously, dozens in every pro ball sport better all-around athletes than Bolt. Kobe, Ichiro, Joe Mauer, DMcN, Vick, Moss. On and on." -Skip Bayless

I usually agree with Skip, but this statement he made on twitter is bullshit. There's no way the latter are better athletes than Bolt

Maybe he meant more skilled? SKip might lose the argument that these guys are better all around athletes than the world's fastest man.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well if you say all around athlete I think that is assuming that if you take an athlete from one sport they are so athletically gifted they can compete in other sports to a high degree. We all know Bolt can run fast but does he possess the athleticism to be successful at other sports, who knows?

blackdarkeye

Reaction score
Originally Posted by superfans124
I'm just gonna go with "innocent until proven guilty", if he turns out to be another marion jones, I'll jump on the wagon to tear his ass up in no time, but for now, I just want to celebrate his otherworldly ability. I think when I was a kid, breaking 9.8 was the barrier, this is mind-blowing. and isn't there a theoretical human physical limit, around 9.6 that the body will be torn apart by itself at that speed?
that sounds really wrong

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by visionology
Well if you say all around athlete I think that is assuming that if you take an athlete from one sport they are so athletically gifted they can compete in other sports to a high degree. We all know Bolt can run fast but does he possess the athleticism to be successful at other sports, who knows?

Good point.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I don't think you read my posts very often.
Are you kidding? I am a fan of your body of work in DT.

But I learned a lot from your post though. Thanks!
I knew it would come in handy to be a history-nerd.
wink.gif

modsquad

Reaction score
What makes me suspicious that Bolt might be on steroids is not his amazing times but the success of the entire Jamaican team. The men's 4 x 100 team just won in Berlin and won at the Olympics in 2008. Jamaican women won the gold in the 100m and the 200m, tied for silver in the 100m and won bronze in the 200m in Beijing. It's too much for such a small country. The population is too small to produce that many winners by chance.

I read the book "Speed Trap" by Charlie Francis, who was Ben Johnson's coach when Johnson was breaking world records. Johnson wasn't the only one juicing. Many of the Canadian sprinters - men and women - were on steroids. In other words, that was the program for the whole team. The Jamaicans may be doing the same thing, although Bolt has always tested negative and that's the bottom line until he doesn't.

robmar19

Reaction score
Yeah what i see is, if he broke it at the olympics and wasn't positive then i think he isn't on drugs. Unless they didn't test him at all, i am not sure. But modsquad is right about the whole team. It all seems too good to be true doesnt it?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The mental game is huge in shorter distances. I'm always skeptical when one person (let alone an entire team) is a bit too consistent in races decided by fractions of a second.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by modsquad
What makes me suspicious that Bolt might be on steroids is not his amazing times but the success of the entire Jamaican team. The men's 4 x 100 team just won in Berlin and won at the Olympics in 2008. Jamaican women won the gold in the 100m and the 200m, tied for silver in the 100m and won bronze in the 200m in Beijing. It's too much for such a small country. The population is too small to produce that many winners by chance. I read the book "Speed Trap" by Charlie Francis, who was Ben Johnson's coach when Johnson was breaking world records. Johnson wasn't the only one juicing. Many of the Canadian sprinters - men and women - were on steroids. In other words, that was the program for the whole team. The Jamaicans may be doing the same thing, although Bolt has always tested negative and that's the bottom line until he doesn't.
Jamaica has produced, probably per capita, the most championship sprinters of any country in the world. Do a tiny bit of research and you'll see the amount of top sprinters of Jamaica is absolutely staggering. You might as well go ahead and make the same claim for the Kenyan's who dominate long distance running. It's basically an argument of the beard... totally arbitrary.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads