• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you get "movie star" clear skin?

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Taxler
What's a good dermatologist do that a bad dematologist wouldn't also do? They all prescribe a few basics, tell you to keep your face clean, and stress staying out of the sun.

My sister had gone to numerous dermatologists around the NYC who did exactly what you said, preserbied the same stuff, and none of it ever worked. Through word of mouth my mom found out about this one lady, who actually diagnosed the cause of my sisters problems and her face has been clear ever since.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Makeup and flattering lighting. In real life, celebs have about the same level of skin problems as most people, which suggests that cosmetic dermatology isn't all that advanced yet.

Essentio

Reaction score
Activated charcoal (carbon) tablets taken moderately during one week can help with clearing the skin. A tip given to me once by a friend dermatologist. Drinking still water is important too. And eating healthy food.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have awesome genetics, like me.

Somehow I lucked out into having flawless skin, well 99.9% of the time. Don't think I ever had acne, maybe like a pimple once a month... I don't even really wash my face regularly. But I do eat healthy and work out and take vitamins.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Drink lots of water, take zinc supplements, and spirulina if you buy into it's health benefit claims (I do).

My skin cleared up once I started shaving. I use no product on my face other than Family Dollar generic Cetaphil cleanser, and I only use it to wash my T-zone (forehead and nose area).

As far as cleaning and exfoliating the rest of my face, I let the shaving soap and double edge razor take care of that. Haven't had a breakout in years.

nobopyon

Reaction score
lots of drinking water sure do help....

I was told to try on vaseline ... (yea, vaseline) at night when you go to sleep...
it actually did work for me....

bluser

Reaction score
Tea! I find the more white and green tea that I drink the better my skin is! I've actually cycled on and off drinking tea to see if there was any noticeable differences and my skin is definitely not as clear as when I'm drinking lots of tea. So I looked it up and it turns out there might be some truth to this...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0130081227.htm

Dane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jessica C
Steaming the face is the best way to thoroughly deep clean your pores. Steaming the face once a week for example is very important to loosen debris that may be embedded into the skin. When steaming the face you widen any clogged pores and soften the skin in order to cleanse more easily the impurities, the traces of makeup, the dust, the sebaceous secretions as well as the dead skin cells.

Boil a pan of water with herbs ( for oily skin you can use thyme, peppermint or lemon; for sensitive and dry skin use chamomile or lime; for normal skin can use rosemary or lavender) and steam your face for approximately 10/ 15 minutes.

All of this is bs...all you're promoting is aggrevating the skin with skin irritants and high temperatures.

If you want clear(er) skin, use a gentle cleanser, exfoliate chemically with a beta-hydroxy acid (salicylic acid), and wear sunscreen with high UVA protection daily. If you have serious acne issues, see a doctor.

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dane
All of this is bs...all you're promoting is aggrevating the skin with skin irritants and high temperatures.

If you want clear(er) skin, use a gentle cleanser, exfoliate chemically with a beta-hydroxy acid (salicylic acid), and wear sunscreen with high UVA protection daily. If you have serious acne issues, see a doctor.

Are you suggesting that acid is less of an irritant than steam?

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read articles that 'older' skin can't be treated the same way as younger skin for good results.

Teenage acne can respond well to salicylic acid and a moisturizer containing urea for exfoliation two or three times a day while older individuals should take it easier. That **** is harsh and the amount you can use without making the problem worse depends on the rejuvenation capability of your skin - influenced by age and genetics.

If anything, I've read to avoid scrubbing your face too harshly. One should even pat themselves dry, not wipe.

Regardless, my skin is not good and I'll be following the thread.

Dane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Taxler
Are you suggesting that acid is less of an irritant than steam?

Yes. Salicylic acid at a reasonable % with the proper pH will provide gentle exfoliation....I'm not talking sulfuric acid or anything.

(edit)

If anyone's interested in why chemical exfoliating is a better option than manual, here's an article:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/skin-car...xfoliants.aspx

(I'm not endorsing the author or saying she has every answer, but this particular article is informative.)

tjc4golf

Reaction score
I also exfoliate chemically with a chemical peel once a week. I use both glycolic and salicylic acid. Salicylic acid is oil soluble whereas glycolic is water soluble. My skin is a little oily so I do two weeks of the salicylic peel, one week glycolic. The salicylic seems to target oil/pores moreso than the glycolic which seems to have more of a uniform effect on the entire face.

The peels can definitely irritate the skin but if done properly (i.e. you don't leave the peel on for too long) they're fine. I just takes a little experimentation at first to figure how long to leave them on (this is not straightforward as it is a product of both the strength of the solution and your skin type). Start slow and work your way up to be safe.

I highly recommend the chemical peels. They're effective, quick and very cheap (I'd less than $0.50/peel). If you're looking for a good source, I recommend Skin Laboratory: http://www.amazon.com/s.html?ie=UTF8...n%20Laboratory

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads