• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

thoughts on the following jackets - color, pattern

identity-x

Reaction score
stopped by a local vintage store and saw these. debating whether $6 + tailoring would be a waste of money I apologize for the sh*tty cell phone phone picture. I hope you can see the colors. Up close it looked like a light slate gray or blue with some yellow stripes (though a lot of colors look yellow to me because i'm colorblind)
att8497863.jpg
black/white plaid houndstooth
att8497994.jpg

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually like the first, but I think it depends on your coloring - hair, eyes, complexion. I am fair with blond hair, so bolder plaids look kind of jarring on me.

FIH, how the hell did you get a picture of the same jacket so quickly?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The first is a big NO...The second one is ok and interesting....

identity-x

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
my thoughts exactly! I might scoop 'em both. I imagine the first looking alright against my brown/tan skin.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by identity-x
my thoughts exactly!

I might scoop 'em both. I imagine the first looking alright against my brown/tan skin.

Six bucks, why not? Do pay attention to the lapels and button stance to see if they suit you - not just the pattern.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
I actually like the first, but I think it depends on your coloring - hair, eyes, complexion. I am fair with blond hair, so bolder plaids look kind of jarring on me.

my thoughts exactly!

I might scoop 'em both. I imagine the first looking alright against my brown/tan skin.

I cannot divulge trade Zecrets!
devil.gif

Actually I googled rodney dangerfield looking for a bad photo of what that can look like when done wrong, then I googled for images of a "Vintage Plaid Jacket" and that came in. I was shocked too :)

Gutman

Reaction score
Definitely get the first one, the second is boring but ok.

Cut and fit (allowing for do-able alterations), quality of fabric, and condition are the most important. Colour and style of the jacket come after that. Both jackets have the potential to look old-manish, unless they fit very well and are a nice cut.

The first one could look *fantastic* though, with sharp jeans or narrow pants and everything else toned down. The second one needs care because BW glen could look very middle-of-the-road.

identity-x

Reaction score
^^^ my thoughts as well

frankly, I think I'd look pretty good with the exact outfit the fellow is wearing...except, you know, I'd make sure it fit.

Gutman

Reaction score
^^^ my thoughts as well

frankly, I think I'd look pretty good with the exact outfit the fellow is wearing...except, you know, I'd make sure it fit.

Make sure you post some pics on WAYWRN in due course...

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 2nd ones not too bad pattern wise, the quality might not be so good though. I have to say that the first choice is a way out dated pattern and would not look so good in todays times.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads