• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Self Edge x Sugar Cane = SEXSC06 - THE SECOND COMING OF FIRE

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
How much I know? Yea I guess nobody who I've ever met and asked questions of knew anything about denim. I do know that comparing the crotch reinforcement on this jean to any other jean, the shaping is very different, and when the crotch blew in mine, it was at the exact edges of the reinforcement piece.

The crotch blew out badly after 2 months, and the jeans aren't even that tight. I've worn much lighter weight Rag & Bone denim MUCH tighter with no problems.. many months in.

I guess the expectation of not having to sink another $40 in repairs in a $300+ jean after a few months of wear is crazy.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kiya
Show's how much you know about denim construction, but figures consider you worked at a fashion store. Denim woven this loosely in weave pattern and in this weight (~12oz) will tear in the crotch with daily wear if the jean is worn slim within 3 months, the reinforcement at least doubled the life of the crotch area.
And if the jean isn't worn slim and it still blows out, what then? Not to mention, which store are you suggesting is a "fashion store". Is that to say that people who work for/patronize said store know nothing about denim? Particularly if they sell high-end denim, or even denim collab'd by this forum?
smack.gif

ktothe

Reaction score
Show's how much you know about denim construction, but figures consider you worked at a fashion store.
Denim woven this loosely in weave pattern and in this weight (~12oz) will tear in the crotch with daily wear if the jean is worn slim within 3 months, the reinforcement at least doubled the life of the crotch area.

Yes, he figured out the secret denim formula. Loose weave + 12oz + slim fit = tear in 3 months or less or your money back!

No, just kidding. Its just ****** jean construction.

skunkworks

Reaction score
Well, this took a turn for the bizarre. I do kinda feel bad for the owners whose crotches are ticking time bombs. If only they'd built it with crotch reinforcement reinforcement...

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
I do know that comparing the crotch reinforcement on this jean to any other jean, the shaping is very different, and when the crotch blew in mine, it was at the exact edges of the reinforcement piece.
What other jean has a crotch reinforcement? Also, this jean was a slim version of Sugar Cane's handloomed style jean which they released all over Asia and at Self Edge over a year ago. That jean had NO crotch reinforcement and the silhouette was near a 1947, so therefore far from slim. The crotch on that jean for Japanese customers was blowing out faster than excepted for TOYO, so for the SEXSC06 the denim was reinforced with a secondary piece of denim.

a salaam alaikum

Reaction score
this conversation is making me nervous since i just picked up a pair a few weeks ago. ..

i dont plan on soaking or washing ever, am i at more of a risk of crotch blowing out?
I sized up one so they are not insanely slim on me. (i can put them on and off without even unbuttoning the top button if i wanted to)

also for those who have repaired the crotch after blowout–how is it holding up after the repair? do you think it will tear again?

centrix

Reaction score
you should soak the jeans

high end *** denim needs to be soaked

a salaam alaikum

Reaction score
^would soaking them while wearing them reduce shrinkage in the waist?
i only really want them to shrink in inseam length?

or should i just stop stressing about it and soak them and deal with it until they stretch?

thanks in advance for help

Pangolin

Reaction score
Show's how much you know about denim construction, but figures consider you worked at a fashion store. Denim woven this loosely in weave pattern and in this weight (~12oz) will tear in the crotch with daily wear if the jean is worn slim within 3 months, the reinforcement at least doubled the life of the crotch area.
Which makes me think... Why would you even release this model if you knew the crotch would blow so quickly? Should I assume it shows how much you respect your customers?

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Japanese brands have been releasing jeans that age like turn of the century jeans for over twenty years.
Both Self Edge and Blue in Green sell jeans by brands which pride themselves on reproducing a style of jean which is true to the original. The reproductions age and fall apart just like the originals did, many of the jeans we both sell use 100% cotton thread which is prone to breaking within a couple of months in places like the front pocket backs, coin pocket, and crotch.
This jean was made of denim reproducing late 19th century hand woven denim on a wooden loom, this was not supposed to be Iron Heart's 24oz indestructible jean. There is a huge difference between the two, especially when considering what each fabric reproduction is trying to achieve. One is improving on the past and making it more bulky (Iron Heart) and one is trying to stay as true to the original as possible (Sugar Cane).

centrix

Reaction score
so jeans in the 1950s broke really often? i mean they did coal mining and stuff like that. thats probably a lot more use of the denim than say people like teger and xchen

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by centrix
so jeans in the 1950s broke really often? i mean they did coal mining and stuff like that. thats probably a lot more use of the denim than say people like teger and xchen

For starters this isn't 1950's denim, the denim on the SEXSC06 was to replicate 1880's denim.
Find a photo of some really worn in jeans from 100 years ago, there's so many patches covering the dungarees that you start to wonder what parts are the original denim that the pants were made of.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics