• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Self Edge x Sugar Cane = SEXSC06 - THE SECOND COMING OF FIRE

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moral of the story? Know what you're getting into.
wink.gif

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
edit: perhaps this is nothing I should really worry about, my pair is at 4 months and going strong, besides, If i have to repair them so be it, im sure I'd be doing something fun/idiotic when it happened anyways haha

premo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ahjota
Moral of the story? Know what you're getting into.
wink.gif

Kinda ridiculous that you have to learn that the hard way, though. Noone ever said anything about loose 12oz denim ripping this easy... I'm pretty disappointed as I was also planning on giving these daily wear through the summer...

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I honestly think this is a bit overblown.
We sold 150 pairs of these so far, and we've had ONE repair on them so far.
Wear them, do not worry...
This is a bit like the entire "oh my god my Skulls are going to explode" thing that the forums created, the issue is not widespread with the threads snapping, both Gordon and I have been selling Skulls for almost three years with rarely an issue.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
geeze, i hope that attack wasn't directed at me Kiya. I know Teger can be aggressive but he is upset about his jean.

To give a straight answer for the blow out concern.

It really depends on the inseam stitch. if it's felled then there should be 4 ply denim and if another layer is added that would make 5 layers. that is very thick and will cause abrasion no matter what int he crotch area. That won't cause a blow out nessacarliy on this particular jean because of the bodystyle. there should acutally be more abrasion on the thigh area due to the fact that the crotch is dropped. If it was a tighter fitting jean the crotch would blow fast.

I honestly forgot what the jean looks like and never tried it on but if Kiya says its based of a repro it should not fit snug anyway but then hey what do I know I work at a fashion store. Not to mention i can't type worth a **** and my grammer is poor so I really can't get my point across like I want to.

kiya is right- jeans will blow out but for the most part they are built well. When you have a denim weight at "X" know the limitations of that denim but as I have said due to the body of that jean everyone but Ben should be fine. I just think Ben wants Kiya to help him out a bit.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine have about 6 months of wear and I have had no blowouts, tears or rips. However in hindsight, I also should have gone down another size because I had mine tailored to make them a bit tighter. I have a little more room in the top-block so maybe that helps explain why I'm rip-free.

Let's face it, we could all go to Target and by $40 that don't blowout either but that's not why we are here, buying these jeans.

Kiya, Tegar - how about for everyone's sake, end the passive aggressive digs at each other?

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm about to state the obvious: If you're in need of a repair take the jean to where you bought it from and they'll repair it for you, simple as that.

EDIT: Teger didn't buy them from us, if he had i would have had him send them back to us already for repair.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ben- I will be more than happy to repair your jean for you. I sold that jean to you I believe. Maybe the person I bought it from will give me some denim so that I can handle this situation.

He didn't ask me either.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Geeze. This could be a bit overblown, but I do want to say that I have a pair and haven't had much problems though, but I can see where it could be an issue.

This is not an attack on the designer or anything, but I want to point out that on a mechanics standpoint, the design is not ideal. Most of the stress on a crotch area is shear stress (walking) or lateral (getting in a car). Placing a reinforcement placed how it is increases the amount of stress by about 50 percent. If the patch was circular, the stress would not be there. Also, if the patch remained square shape and was rotated by 45 degrees, the shear stress would be close to 0.

I knew I'd use my engineering degree one day.

centrix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22

I knew I'd use my engineering degree one day.

LOL

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to make the point that just because two prominent members of the forum are having issues with their jeans doesn't necessarily mean that there is a problem with the jean's design. People here have stated that they aren't having any issues, and there isn't much controversy over this on superdenim either.

Do your research before you jump to any conclusions.

Jay-D

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
LOL....jeez is blown out of control.

The SEXSC06 is a great denim. The fabric, details, cut, etc. are right on and it is a fabulous design. I appreciate every detail that the designer added. For those who are considering this denim, don't let the idea of crotch blow out change your mind. Crotch blow outs can happen with any denim...even denims that are reinforced. If it does happen, just have it repaired and continue to enjoy the denim!

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love my pair.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I'm not starting to start drama or pick or a fight, and I'm not being passive aggressive. It bothers me that an expensive pair of denim that I bought and sold to people has worse durability than a $20 pair of Levis. The fact that its an issue happening to other people kind of shows that its not some fluke of my pair or how I wear them.

I ended up getting my pair repaired at Denim Doctors and they did a good job. The repair was pretty extensive though and ended up costing $40. Yes, I didn't pay full retail (employee discount), but this is still the most expensive pair of jeans I own. I was excited when I bought these to finally break into the 'super premium' denim market, and I'm just dissapointed at how many fraying and tearing issues I've had.

I don't appreciate being told I don't know what I'm talking about because I work at a 'fashion store' (what does this even mean? last I checked Self Edge sells more than just jeans) and then being told that terrible durability is a 'feature' of the jeans. If it was, there should have been something listed on this website that said "NOTE: DUE TO THE UNIQUE CONSTRUCTION OF THIS JEAN IT MAY NOT LAST AS LONG AS OTHER DENIM". There was nothing.

I sell raw denim by informing the customer that they're buying a product that will last a long time and is of superior construction and durability than your run of the mill mall brand jean. It's crazy that this pair didn't live up to that expectation.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ToruOkada
Just wanted to make the point that just because two prominent members of the forum are having issues with their jeans doesn't necessarily mean that there is a problem with the jean's design. People here have stated that they aren't having any issues, and there isn't much controversy over this on superdenim either.

Do your research before you jump to any conclusions.

I think xchen and I are some of the few people to really wear the jean hard to this point. Most people seemed to put them away for the winter: I said **** that and wore them straight through.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads