• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Olive Oil

JohnRov

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Deep frying with it seems wierd, but then I deep fry at home maybe twice a year.

I'm the same, but he always makes a big deal about it when he does it, that's why it sticks in my head.

tricota

Reaction score
The one I use it medium price, about 30 $ for 35 cl.

I also use a good rapeseed oil. In fact I mostly use that for basic cooking.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tricota
The one I use it medium price, about 30 $ for 35 cl.

I also use a good rapeseed oil. In fact I mostly use that for basic cooking.

Isn't canola oil similar to rapeseed oil?

I used to use canola oil for high heat cooking, but I've substituted grapeseed oil in its place lately. They both have similar smoking points, but the grapeseed seems a bit more "natural" than canola. I'm sure this is mostly psychological. As far as the flavor goes, I haven't noticed much of a difference between canola and grapeseed.

HitMan009

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Isn't canola oil similar to rapeseed oil? I used to use canola oil for high heat cooking, but I've substituted grapeseed oil in its place lately. They both have similar smoking points, but the grapeseed seems a bit more "natural" than canola. I'm sure this is mostly psychological. As far as the flavor goes, I haven't noticed much of a difference between canola and grapeseed.
Rapeseed is the real name for canola oil. Rapeseed doesn't sound too good and it mostly came from Canada thus Canola oil was born. Rapeseed oil used to contain a toxin that was fatal to humans. Through breeding, most of this toxin has been breed out but a minute amount still remains. Although canola oil is considered a healthy oil, I rather use corn oil for frying and grapeseed oil for cooking. Olive oil and walnut oil for finishing dishes.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friend who works in the business says that olive oil fraud is so common that labels about origin on bottles exported outside the E.U. are basically worthless. Some ridiculously large percentage of oils labelled "Made in Italy" are not, and some aren't even olive oil. Interesting article here:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...a_fact_mueller

tricota

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HitMan009
Rapeseed is the real name for canola oil. Rapeseed doesn't sound too good and it mostly came from Canada thus Canola oil was born. Rapeseed oil used to contain a toxin that was fatal to humans. Through breeding, most of this toxin has been breed out but a minute amount still remains. Although canola oil is considered a healthy oil, I rather use corn oil for frying and grapeseed oil for cooking. Olive oil and walnut oil for finishing dishes.

I did not know that. I am using a local brand though, so I guess we could call it DANola Oil, if that is better...

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheIdler
A friend who works in the business says that olive oil fraud is so common that labels about origin on bottles exported outside the E.U. are basically worthless. Some ridiculously large percentage of oils labelled "Made in Italy" are not, and some aren't even olive oil. Interesting article here:

patch[1].gif

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheIdler

I remember this article. It sounded like a plot for a Simpsons episode.

I've had difficulty finding consistency in the taste of olive oil over the last few years. Just when you seem to get into a groove with one brand, the flavor profile changes for the worse.

CI rated olive oils in July of '08 and picked Columela as the winner and Colavita in second. Compared to their last taste testing in '05, their then favorite, DaVinci, finished at the bottom.

upstarter

Reaction score
I'm Greek, and all my family's friends did a blind taste test between all the expensive Greek olive oils one finds in the various Greek/Import stores and the Kalamata olive oil from Trader Joes with the green label. Much to everyone's shock, the Trader Joes olive oil beet out oils that were 4-7 times more expensive.

food for thought

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+1 Greek olive oil

Ela twpa.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Few makers are willing to disclose on product label whether or not the content is a blend or a straight oil based on a single variety olives.
I just hate being kept in the dark. Many of the cheap "extra virgin olive oils" sold via supermarket chains are, in fact, blends made up of oils collected from - literary - all over the freaking map.
You may find oils from Tunisia, Spain, Turkey and Greece packed in the same bottle.
Even blends constituting a collection of various oils from the same house don't always come out great.
I had one such oil by Colonna (mid to higher tier brand) whose flavor was flatter than Kansas.
Despite the fact that food critics generally pee themselves over Colonna extra virgin olive oil.

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to talk with Harold McGee about the use of oils in cooking whilst he was in Washington on Monday. It was rather timely inasmuch as that was to be the topic of his New York Times Curious Cook column the next day. The bottom line is that heat has a very marked impact on the taste of cooking oils, reducing their flavor to the point where they more or less taste the same. Even the University of California at Davis experts on olive oil taste that he enlisted in his taste test were struck by the lack of a distinction between oils when used in cooking (that is, when the oils were heated, not drizzled etc). The surprise, McGee noted, was that they were surprised inasmuch as they were all aware that heat is used in processing specifically to remove aroma and taste! That is not to say there are not other differences, including the smoking point between refined and unrefined oils, but the choice of which olive oil to use for sauteing or frying will have little impact on the taste of the dish.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/17/di...%20cook&st=cse

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads