• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Olive Oil

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The health benefits of a domestically produced olive oil, such as Californian, are far superior to that of imported, e.g. Spain, Italy. And always look for "first cold pressed" on the label.

After tasting quite a variety, Olio Santo from Williams Sonoma is my oil of choice.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cutrera Primo (Sicily) Olio Beato (Puglia) DeCarlo (Puglia) Seggiano (Tuscany) These oils are the real deal. Prices range from pretty reasonable to OMFG. Shopping for EVOO @ places like Sur La Table or Williams-Sonoma is a self-invitation to an assrape. Sur La Table does carry surprisingly good balsamic vinegars relative to asking price, though. As foodguy mentioned, skip over bottles made of conventional, transparent glass. Go for darker glass, better yet - boxed or paper-wrapped bottles. If the name seems completely unfamiliar, look for these stamps. In terms of frying, I'd NO LONGER suggest using canola or grapeseed oil. The latter could still be used for salads, and whatnot.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know canola oil is derived from the rapeseed plant, which is toxic to humans (particularly to the respiratory function). Not to mention it is heavily refined and genetically engineered containing trans fats.

I'd say pass on that.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ mm84321

I wasted $26 on a bottle of Williams Sonoma House Olive Oil made on Lucero farm in California.
Nunca Más, Jose
devil.gif

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
You know canola oil is derived from the rapeseed plant, which is toxic to humans (particularly to the respiratory function). Not to mention it is heavily refined and genetically engineered containing trans fats.

Welcome to SF: Home of high rolling big timers
laugh.gif

Where we don't need any of that GM crop-sourced supermarket chain cheap crap which is geared toward proletariat anyway. When we can afford their organic equivalents.
BTW, my grapeseed oil is ze

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You honestly believe because it says "organic", it's any better for you?

Grapeseed oil, too, has high oxidation potential, especially using it for high temp frying.

Just looking out for your health, Christofuh.
sarcasm.gif

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sidebar: La Tourangelle collection of nut oils are very good.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you propose I use, clarified butter ?
EVOO is going to set the ficken kitchen on fire. So it's a non-starter.
I tried ze French sunflower oil, but wasn't blown away by the peasant flavor.
"Organic" doesn't automatically connotes goodness. It does signify no GM ingredients have been used during production.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coconut oil, lard, beef tallow or duck fat are all healthy options when frying at high temperatures.

smile.gif

Dude, don't joke a joker
devil.gif

Beef tallow ? Hormones, antibiotics, GM feed be damned.
Lard ? Antibiotics, GM feed be damned.
Duck fat ? Antibiotics, GM feed be damned.
Let's not even talk about how wonderful all those animal source derived fats are for your heart.
I recall once trying coconut water which turned out a relentlessly awful experience.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
Dude, don't joke a joker
devil.gif

Beef tallow ? Hormones, antibiotics, GM feed be damned.
Lard ? Antibiotics, GM feed be damned.
Duck fat ? Antibiotics, GM feed be damned.
Let's not even talk about how wonderful all those animal source derived fats are for your heart.
I recall once trying coconut water which turned out a relentlessly awful experience.

+1
ffffuuuu.gif

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ mm84321

I just finished gathering up all my remaining bottles of "Organic Canola Oil".
Back to the store they are going.
And that is a No ****
plain.gif

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coconut oil, lard, beef tallow or duck fat are all healthy options when frying at high temperatures.
smile.gif

The following "bad" oils contain high percentage of trans fat or saturated fats. Some, such as coconut oil, even contain more saturated fats than animal products!

crackup[1].gif

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
Dude, don't joke a joker
devil.gif
Beef tallow ? Hormones, antibiotics, GM feed be damned. Lard ? Antibiotics, GM feed be damned. Duck fat ? Antibiotics, GM feed be damned. Let's not even talk about how wonderful all those animal source derived fats are for your heart. I recall once trying coconut water which turned out a relentlessly awful experience.

I would recommend trying to source reliable brands that practice organic farming, free of GM and hormone usage. Or making your own is pretty easy if you cook a lot of meat on a regular basis. Dartagnan.com sells a wide array of humanely raised, organic meat. I just made a batch of duck fat from one of their Moulard duck breasts. It made the best fried potatoes you'll ever have. They sell some as well: http://www.dartagnan.com/58614/56578.../Duck-Fat.html As far as shunning Coconut Oil for its saturated fat content, you have to understand that saturated fat is really not "bad" for you, like most nutritionists will claim (I can go into detail if you want) Coconut oil has a whole host of health benefits and tastes great with frying fish and in stir frys. Definitely opt for organic and unrefined versions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads