• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

soulstylist

Reaction score
...the pic on 'dancehall 69' is from the 80s (the camden stylists?). And all the black guys/gals is just a 2007/2008 fashion shooting - though a very nice one...

...I think even in the old pics you can tell the northerners from the London boys. The scene seems to have been quite a bit different up north...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
pics from Gavin Waton's book "Skins", all representing the early-mid 80s

this photo is really famous, of "Symond"
39303952pf5.jpg

13832535sy3.jpg

81104201pj7.jpg

74197660qn2.jpg

wycombe20skins203hq0.jpg

hw3ma6.jpg

great photo, coming from a 16 yr old kid at the time
19292723qi7.jpg

what they do, go to Olan Mills for a group family portrait?
10000838gi1.jpg

Gavin Watson, the photographer
89044184ii4.jpg

12001719gt3.jpg

46617897yv6.jpg

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by soulstylist
...the pic on 'dancehall 69' is from the 80s.

yes, it's not a 60s photo...the black guys looked to be staged (same background and photoshop treatment)...the styling is esp nice tho on the guy standing with the girl

soulstylist

Reaction score
...it took me years to understand the write up going with Ferguson's fashion drawings. With all the name dropping of labels you never heared of (and no one could explain when you weren't living in the UK) it led to some nice mistakes.
A lot of us wore checked flannel shirts in the mid eighties (slightly resmbling the checked shirts you had seen in THE book) with skins keeping them original and psychobillys cutting off the sleeves....

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
...another big influence for the contemporary look was for sure the casual movement, which actaually is much more going with the spirit of mod/skin (soulstylists - yeah!) than punk. Thats how sportswear (e.g. Pringle, Lonsdale, Adidas Sambas) became so popular...
Martin, do you know Alex Roest from Netherlands? He has actually posted on here a few times in past, and does so quite a bit on filmnoirbuff. His primary influence seems to be from the Casual phase, and he's done some really nice writeups on mod/skin related topics on various websites Here is Alex Roests article on Suedehead Here is Alex's article on The French CUt Alex's article on boutiques as sartorial temples Guy's a class act and his approach to style & subculture is one most of us can get on board with...about being "individual stylists" rather than following "the uniform"

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
...it took me years to understand the write up going with Ferguson's fashion drawings. With all the name dropping of labels you never heared of (and no one could explain when you weren't living in the UK) it led to some nice mistakes. A lot of us wore checked flannel shirts in the mid eighties (slightly resmbling the checked shirts you had seen in THE book) with skins keeping them original and psychobillys cutting off the sleeves....
yes, us too, being in America. There was no internet to click and find out right away what things were. You really had to do some research, talk to people, or just make it up as you went. As you said, it all leads to nice mistakes. When we first heard about sta-prest we had no idea where to get it, or what it was exactly (other than Last Resort singing about "Skinheads in Sta-prest"). So we got Dickies work pants and would tailor them to 7" bottoms and short hems so our boots were visible underneath. Ben Shermans were near impossible to get in the States so any checked buttondown would suffice as long as the collars were buttondown'd. I never had a harrington in the 80s tho looking back I'm sure it would have been easy to find in an old man store or thrift shop. The MA-1 and Levis denim jacket carried me thru the 80s and early 90s

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
Thanks for the Combat 84 link. They were a favorite back in the day.

yea, Chubby Chris owns a bar in Thailand and is married to a Thai girl.....so the story goes

Combat 84 reformed a few years back with John and Jim (Deptford John singing)...tbh I wasnt a fan of it, too US hardcore sounding. and the lyrics seemed pretty bad

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
yea, Chubby Chris owns a bar in Thailand and is married to a Thai girl.....so the story goes

Combat 84 reformed a few years back with John and Jim (Deptford John singing)...tbh I wasnt a fan of it, too US hardcore sounding. and the lyrics seemed pretty bad

It seems like whenever a band from that era tries to reunite, it never works out well. Just take a look at The Exploited... :shudder: I think the only band I would actually go out of my way to see these days would be Cock Sparrer.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
We saw the Angelic Upstarts a few years ago and they were actually quite good, even if their merch table was a like a recruiting office for Red Action and other commie organizations

The "4Skins" played a recent reunion (just Gary Hodges on vox) at the disastrous oi-fest in Pennsylvania a few months ago. Indecent Exposure (one of my fave oi bands from 80s) reformed (all original members) and played that as well, and they backed up Hodges for the 4-Skins set. Apparently 4Skins were to headline sat nite, but there was a riot (surprise) during Oxblood's set and the show shut down for the nite, so 4Skins played sun nite, which obviously pissed off a lot of people who bought tickets only for sat to see them. I know a few who went to this debacle, and let's say that all of the problems could have been well foreseen way before it started.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw some fliers for that show. No good, huh. What sparked the riot? Did they run out of beer, or some stupid Bonehead vs. SHARP conflict.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
well, after filtering all the different stories I've heard, this is what seems to have happened...

Oxblood was playing and they started doing a Skrewdriver cover (btw Oxblood are a non racist band with black members from NYC) and that set off a conflict that was supposedly started by some SHARP types which escalated into a riot. Talk about idiocy...the venue served beer IN BOTTLES!!!! so you know what happened next.

I wasnt there, but it sure sounded like many in attendance were a bunch of mugs....not really the sort that comes to my mind when I think of "skinheads". we're talking guys with tattoos on the face, and in general dudes who are more like metalheads/bikers with shaved heads than actual "skinheads"

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesus. They should have at least used the plastic bottles, like they do at football games. And I'm all for most anti-racist action and protest, but the SHARPs take it to a whole new level. Leftist fascism makes just about as much sense as fascism on the right. It's a show, not soapbox.

soulstylist

Reaction score
...only one word: Covering Ian 'Shithead' Stuart songs IS a political statement. No matter what colour of skin the one who does it does have. If you get a negative reaction - don't wine!

Keep effin politics out of the scene! Have your fews but don't ram them down the throats of people in one way or the other...

This was hopefully the only slightly political statement I had to write on a STYLE forum...

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
<not really skin or oi, but I'm listening to Buzzcock's "30" right now.. For some reason, it fits the thread>

It's really awesome to see that there actually were skins that know/knew how to dress. All the skins I knew just wore docs, jeans, t-shirts, and nylon flight jackets. Some had Confederate flag patches on the shoulders. No Fred Perry or anything that I remember.

I love threads like these. Very educational.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads