• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you do to your face after shaving ?

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
I just tried Thayer's Lemon, having already sampled the original, something else, and lavender, varieties, and I quite like it! Maybe my favorite so far... Lotus, how do you like the Truefit 1805? I am about to place an order on Classic Shaving (feather blades) and I am thinking of getting Taylor's Almond shaving cream. Am curious about T & H, as I have only used Proraso, and the unscented Classic Shaving soap puck, to date.
I really like the T&H 1805, It is my first shaving creme I've used though so I cant really compare it against anything else, but I can say it gives me a nice lather and smells awesome. It was recommended to me by the owner of Momentum Grooming http://www.momentumgrooming.com

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me. I went for a tub of Taylors of Bond Street: Mr Taylor. Picked up the shaving cream on Amazon from one of their sellers. And also picked up 100 Derby blades for $15!

What blades are you using? I picked up a sampler pack from Letter K on Badger & Blade and it lasted me forever. It is nice to get a feel for what is out there.

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have only used Merkur blades so far, they seem pretty good to start with as i'm pretty confident I wont nick myself with them.

Thats a nice deal on the derby blades! Let me know what you think of those when you try them out.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I find the Derby blades to be a bit sharper than Merkur, but not as sharp as Swedish Gillettes or Feather blades....the perfect balance for me. Everyone should try Feather blades at least once
smile.gif

Reaction score
My last shave was with a Merkur and it went okay. They are probably my least favorite, really. And yes, everyone should try a Feather blade. It is like shaving with a light saber.

Also, DO NOT shave with the Merkur blade that was included free with your razor. They tend to be old, less sharp, and very dicey.

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
Also, DO NOT shave with the Merkur blade that was included free with your razor. They tend to be old, less sharp, and very dicey.

lol - good to know, i was wondering about that.. i'll throw that one away

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Dozens of little Japanese flags when its an off morning.

Otherwise some sort of aftershave. If its a balm like Floris, then I just use that. If it's an alcohol based splash like Old Spice or Aqua Velve I throw on a moisturizer after its all dry.

This is all after a double edge shave. Back when I used things like the Mach3 and Fusion, it was always Japanese flags.

booby_shoes

Reaction score
I did nothing, at first. Then, I used Nivea Post-Shave Lotion which seemed to do nothing. This thread has me seriously considering buying a new razor and using aftershave.

I hear a lot of talk about a Merkur, but it's pricey. Are Parkers(?) any good?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ehhh....Parkers are more cheaply made. I'd fork out the extra $$$ for a Merkur. Yeah they are expensive, but when you factor in the cost of the blades, you'll see a Merkur plus double edged blades are FAR cheaper than a cartridge razor like the Mach 3 or Fusion.

Reaction score
Cost per use, people. A Merkur will outlast you; you can pass it down after you die in a fire.

I just got in a Mr. Taylor shave cream in a tub today. I opened up and gave it a good whiff; it smells manly, as a shaving cream should. I cannot wait to give it a whirl.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Exactly. When a double edge blade is only costing around 20 cents as opposed to a 3 - 5 dollar replacement cartridge for a M3 or Fusion, that doesn't even last as long as the blade anyway, it wont' take long for that Merkur to pay for itself! Use that saved money for a badger brush!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
BACK ON TOPIC GENTLEMEN....

After I shave I splash cold water on my face, then I slap myself vigorously across the face three times on each cheek while I scream*. This lessens the effect of the alcohol which stings un-mercifully but tightens my skin until I achieve the glow of a well-preserved saddle. After that I may indulge in a bit of pepper spray in my eyes to distract me from the razor burn, and once I wipe away the tears and snot, I'm ready for work.

* - Sometimes Mrs. Thomas offers to take up the slapping duties depending on how shabbily I've treated her the prior evening.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads