• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filipino SFers?

lmaligaya

Reaction score
filipino myself, check the user name. haha. I am still new to the forum

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is off topic but i want to go to the nergos islands in the coming months for a training camp. i have couple of questions.
what languages cna i use there?, my knowledge of local is pretty useless.
anything worth doing or seeing of particular interest?

emptym

Reaction score
^ Not sure. English probably. It's one of two official languages in the Phils. The other, Tagalog (sometimes called Filipino, though some say there is a distinction, and I'd agree), is resisted sometimes bec. it was forced on people by the Spanish, who practiced indirect rule. I spent a year in the Philippines and spoke English almost exclusively. I only know about 200 words and phrases in Filipino.

Spanish might help too.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
this is off topic but i want to go to the nergos islands in the coming months for a training camp. i have couple of questions.
what languages cna i use there?, my knowledge of local is pretty useless.

^+1 to emptym. People in Negros speak mostly Visayan (bisaya), but you should get along ok in English.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
^+1 to emptym. People in Negros speak mostly Visayan (bisaya), but you should get along ok in English.

Isn't Ilonggo the language of choice in Negros?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Isn't flip a deragatory acronym that stands for "******* little island person"?

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Isn't Ilonggo the language of choice in Negros?

You are correct, but I was referring to the Visayan group of languages, of which Ilonggo is a part. At least that's how I understand it.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Isn't flip a deragatory acronym that stands for "******* little island person"?

I'd always considered that a backronym.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm going to be in Manila next month for about 3 weeks. What are some good spots to check out. Daytime and night time (especially).

Going to Bohol for a few days...Tagatay...other than that, I need some recomendations....in manila, looking for upscale lounges, bars, clubs and restaurants!

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me 2. I'll be in Manila next month for 2 weeks on business. I'm thinking of going to Palawan for a few days to rusticate. Boracay has lost it's magic.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
going to a wedding there...so I get to rock a Barong...just got one.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My advise? Avoid Manila if you can- nightlife in the city can be fun, but most of the time its all pretentious bull- specially the upscale ones. Most of these are populated by spoiled rich brats anyway. Best way to enjoy the Philippines is visit the other smaller cities- Cebu and Bacolod, or the beaches in Palawan or Bohol, and maybe stay up north in Batanes and Ilocos Norte, both heritage sites.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, no real choice, staying with family for the most part. Won't have very much flexibility. I have a business contact in Bacolod that I could visit, but for the most part, I want to take as few planes as possible. A few days in Tagatay, a few day trips....Bohol. I like the more upscale places, I've done some of the more divey spots in Manila and it was a bit too dingy for me.

What's the good shopping there? I know Rustans for high end...but looking for other stuff....anything unique? Not thinking that I'll spend a whole lot of cash...but probably going to Mall of Asia and Megamall.....don't remember megamall being very good though.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For shopping there's nothing really unique, but check out the boutiques Myth and Adora in the new Greenbelt 5 extension.

I would avoid Mall of Asia. I only go to Megamall to pick up shoe polishing supplies and stuff for the kitchen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics