Filipino SFers?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ahjota, Oct 16, 2008.

1. lmaligaya

lmaligaya Senior member

filipino myself, check the user name. haha. I am still new to the forum

2. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

this is off topic but i want to go to the nergos islands in the coming months for a training camp. i have couple of questions.
    what languages cna i use there?, my knowledge of local is pretty useless.
    anything worth doing or seeing of particular interest?

3. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

^ Not sure. English probably. It's one of two official languages in the Phils. The other, Tagalog (sometimes called Filipino, though some say there is a distinction, and I'd agree), is resisted sometimes bec. it was forced on people by the Spanish, who practiced indirect rule. I spent a year in the Philippines and spoke English almost exclusively. I only know about 200 words and phrases in Filipino.

Spanish might help too.

4. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

this is off topic but i want to go to the nergos islands in the coming months for a training camp. i have couple of questions.
    what languages cna i use there?, my knowledge of local is pretty useless.

^+1 to emptym. People in Negros speak mostly Visayan (bisaya), but you should get along ok in English.

5. Chip

Chip Senior member

<---Filipino

6. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

^+1 to emptym. People in Negros speak mostly Visayan (bisaya), but you should get along ok in English.

Isn't Ilonggo the language of choice in Negros?

7. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Isn't flip a deragatory acronym that stands for "fucking little island person"?

8. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Isn't Ilonggo the language of choice in Negros?

You are correct, but I was referring to the Visayan group of languages, of which Ilonggo is a part. At least that's how I understand it.

9. ahjota

ahjota Senior member

Isn't flip a deragatory acronym that stands for "fucking little island person"?

I'd always considered that a backronym.

10. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

Hey, I'm going to be in Manila next month for about 3 weeks. What are some good spots to check out. Daytime and night time (especially).

Going to Bohol for a few days...Tagatay...other than that, I need some recomendations....in manila, looking for upscale lounges, bars, clubs and restaurants!

11. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

Me 2. I'll be in Manila next month for 2 weeks on business. I'm thinking of going to Palawan for a few days to rusticate. Boracay has lost it's magic.

12. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

going to a wedding there...so I get to rock a Barong...just got one.

13. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

My advise? Avoid Manila if you can- nightlife in the city can be fun, but most of the time its all pretentious bull- specially the upscale ones. Most of these are populated by spoiled rich brats anyway. Best way to enjoy the Philippines is visit the other smaller cities- Cebu and Bacolod, or the beaches in Palawan or Bohol, and maybe stay up north in Batanes and Ilocos Norte, both heritage sites.

14. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

Yeah, no real choice, staying with family for the most part. Won't have very much flexibility. I have a business contact in Bacolod that I could visit, but for the most part, I want to take as few planes as possible. A few days in Tagatay, a few day trips....Bohol. I like the more upscale places, I've done some of the more divey spots in Manila and it was a bit too dingy for me.

What's the good shopping there? I know Rustans for high end...but looking for other stuff....anything unique? Not thinking that I'll spend a whole lot of cash...but probably going to Mall of Asia and Megamall.....don't remember megamall being very good though.

15. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

For shopping there's nothing really unique, but check out the boutiques Myth and Adora in the new Greenbelt 5 extension.

I would avoid Mall of Asia. I only go to Megamall to pick up shoe polishing supplies and stuff for the kitchen.