Help with suit for my wedding

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by herjar, Jul 17, 2017 at 8:55 AM.

1. herjar

herjar New Member

Hi. I am getting married in November and need to get a suit. It's not going to be a very formal wedding as the venue is a barn. I only wear a suit to special occasions, so I don't have much experience buying one. I have been doing some research, but thought maybe you guys could help me with my choices before I go to a tailor.

I'd say I have a normal/athletic build (180cm tall). When trying suits in a store the jacket (size euro 50) usually fits me well. Trousers however are a pain. I'm around 32-33" at the waist, but my bum and thighs are way bigger. So I always struggle to find trousers that fits well. When I buy jeans I usually size up and use a belt. Most places I have tried suits they don't sell jacket and trouser seperately, so I can't fit both properly.

Generally I find wearing the suits I own quite uncomfortable. Tight trousers with squashed junk makes me glad I don't have to wear one for work. So I thought getting it tailored could help that. It's a lot of money for me though and I'm a newbie at this so I could use some help with what to go for.

I don't want to spend so much money on a suit I'll only wear once, so I probably want to get something a bit classic and versatile. I'm blonde with quite fair skin so I feel darker colours suit me better. I was thinking navy or charcoal, possibly with a pattern, but not sure exactly what pattern. I like the look of suits that are not so "shiny". I prefer the more textured "wool-look". Do you need to get a heavier cloth for that look? Maybe flannel could work as I like that soft feel as well? I have never owned anything in flannel though. Is it too hot? Not in November I assume, but for a general suit?

I was thinking a three-piece suit with a bowtie. I don't wear a vest often, but would look good for a wedding?

Jacket:
    • Two-button single breasted
    • Notch lapel? "Medium" thickness? Don't like them very fat or thin.
    • High armhole
    • Side vents
    • Straight flap pockets?
    • No ticket pocket?
    • Need a hole for my Boutonniere obviously
    • Four button sleeves?
    • I don't like much extra material at the arms. Want a close fit.

Trousers:
    • I like a high waist
    • Pleats? None, single or double? Looks more old-fashioned I guess, but should make them more comfortable? I've been reading that it looks better for bigger men. I'm not overweight in any way, but I do like a roomy crotch/bum area. Is it a no-no for normal built men?
    • Medium break? Cuffs only if pleated?
    • Slash front pockets? I like larger pockets that I can easily get my hands into.
    • Back pockets: Don't care, never use them.
    • Side tabs so I can ditch the belt? Don't like suspenders.

Is there anything else I need to think about when going to a tailor?
    For the cloth I find it hard to see how a full suit could look from just a tiny fabric example, but here are a few I looked up which I think could look nice. The first one is my favourite look I think, but seems a bit heavy?
    http://www.themerchantfox.co.uk/prod/1232/limited-edition-cloth/the-char-navy-timsbury-check
    http://www.themerchantfox.co.uk/prod/1231/limited-edition-cloth/the-charcoal-timsbury-check
    http://www.themerchantfox.co.uk/prod/1154/vintage-bolts/charcoal-narrow-pin-stripe
    http://www.themerchantfox.co.uk/prod/732/queens-award-flannel/queens-award-char-brown-flannel
    http://www.themerchantfox.co.uk/prod/914/vintage-bolts/triple-pindot-stripe-flannel
    http://www.themerchantfox.co.uk/prod/807/the-290-flannel/290g-char-navy-chalk-stripe

For the lining I'm not sure, but maybe not go with too much contrast (e.g. not pink inside).

I'm from a small city, but I travel to London once a month so I thought I would get it made there.
    Does anyone have suggestions for some good, but not extremely expensive tailors in London?

Thanks.

2. ThomGault

ThomGault Senior member

Blond hair and fair skin would lead me to suggest that you wear lighter colors, not darker. (Not just for this suit, but in your general wardrobe, too.) Darker colors will make you look paler and fairer. Unless that is your goal? That being said, for a wedding, navy or charcoal are fine, conservative colors...but its in a barn, so that changes things.

As it is your wedding, you really need to determine the proper dress code because your original post is using a mish-mash of formalities. A suit at a barn wedding doesn't sound correct (of course, I've only heard of barn weddings, never been to one.) Conservative colors and designs probably aren't best suited to a barn wedding; but other colors and patterns which you choose may not be the most versatile for future use, which you said is also important to you. You also suggest a three-piece suit. Again, this is a great choice and gives you options for future wear...but does a three-piece suit fit into a barn wedding? Furthermore, flannel is a fun, hearty choice for suiting, but its normally reserved for cooler months. If you want versatility, worsted wool is the better option.

I highly suggest sitting down with your fiancee and discussing what you both envision for the event, particularly attire and formality, because the facts you've presented don't really have a solution.

3. Maljunulo

Maljunulo Active Member

Your suits are quite uncomfortable because they don't fit.

You need to learn how a suit should fit, and how to find one which does.

+1 to the comment that your requirements are a bit of a mish-mash.

Was it your idea or the bride's idea to get married in a barn?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 1:49 PM

4. Tacosauce

Tacosauce Well-Known Member

Ralph Lauren suits will fit your body type well. They are always on sale. Something in navy with a white shirt and whatever color tie with black shoes will keep you looking sharp and dressed for the occasion.

5. herjar

herjar New Member

Yea maybe I was wrong saying all lighter colours. I initially though a brown suit could be nice for a fall wedding so I tried on a light brown one, but I felt it made me look so "washed out" and bland with no contrast. I just felt I looked better in navy etc.

Neither of us want it to be extremely formal, so no white/black tie or anything like that. Not planning to ask people to buy a new suit/tuxedo just to come to my wedding. Semi-formal is maybe correct term? Wear a normal suit that's not too crazy and I'm happy. Both two and three-piece suit is fine I think. Was thinking three piece for myself as I'm the groom. I also feel it makes me look better if I take my jacket off later in the evening.

What else could I wear? When I say barn I don't mean we will get married in the hay with animals around us :) Think more like this: http://static.onefabday.com/2015/05/cripps-barn.jpg

Thanks I'll consider that. I like the look of flannel, so I guess it's just how much I want to use it.

Yea that is why I am here for your help.

Both of us. We want the day to feel fun and relaxed, not like a formal ball with Prince William (not that they can't be fun of course).

Thanks! Have not tried on Ralph Lauren suits so will check them out. They are still pretty pricy though. I see you can get bespoke in London for around £1500, but would you recommend going for RTW over going to a tailor for me as a newbie?

6. Maljunulo

Maljunulo Active Member

If you don't mind, where is this wedding going to take place?

In which country?

7. herjar

herjar New Member

It will be south in England. I'm not from England though, but she is.

8. Image_Consultant_Kent

Image_Consultant_Kent New Member

Because of your sizing I would suggest going to see a tailor, as they will be able to make something exactly for your fit. Avoid pleats they are old fashioned and can make you look larger than you are.

Avoid black and if you are sure you want something dark go for navy blue, it very smart as well as slimming. Are you against a waistcoats? as I think they look great. It keeps the look smart even when you take your jacket off, which a shirt alone can fail to do.

Image Consultant