• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leopard preys on Crocodile

Rand B

Reaction score
Haven't you ever started a fight just to see if you could win? Maybe he was exercising his prowess. More of a trophy than calories.

R.B.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Leopard: "ewwww... this just tastes like chicken"

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rand B
Haven't you ever started a fight just to see if you could win? Maybe he was exercising his prowess. More of a trophy than calories.

R.B.

EXACTLY. He was hanging around with the other leopards and one of them was like, "Hey, Jim, you know, you're always the one tagging the injured, sick, or aged Antelopes when we hunt. You're such a *****."

Jim shows the other lions just who's the *****. And, he was smart enough to do it when the National Geographic people were close by.

Jim: 1
Other Leopards: 0

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Not necessarily. Size of both varies considerably depending on range, sex and probably other factors. One hears claims of jaguars weighing 275 or 300 pounds, but they must be very, very exceptional. In Alan Rabinowitz' book Jaguar the adult jaguars in Belize that he drugged and weighed ranged between 118 and 140 pounds. This is very much in the same size range as the leopard. I was rather surprised at how small they were. Reportedly, they get the biggest down in the Mato Grasso country of Brazil.

Do you have a thing for Jaguars? I read a book about a woman in Belize that was doing research on them. I forget her name, although google would probably tell me pretty quickly. There's an outfit in brazil that's now guaranteeing Jaguar sightings in the wild. I'm considering it for the future, although probably not for my upcoming trip, since it would cut too far in to my budget and prevent me from staying down there as long as I want. I absolutely love them though. They're beautiful cats and amazing creatures.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fast forward to 6:01 to see a Tiger killing a rather large Crocodile.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad to see others here are interested in big cats. In my spare time I work with a sanctuary which has about 35 big cats. There are several attributes that make jaguars more likely to prey on caimins/gators. One being that they frequent the water, where leopards do not, and the second being that their bite is much stronger than a leopards, allowing them to more easily kill an animal with such tough skin.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All the the big cats are just awesome.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
All the the big cats are just awesome.

I really don't like male Lions for some reason. I think it is the whole king of the jungle designation. Tigers can beat them not to mention Hippos and Elephants in their own habitat.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I actually did a research paper on their mating behaviour in high school. Jaguars are my favorite though.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
I really don't like male Lions for some reason. I think it is the whole king of the jungle designation. Tigers can beat them not to mention Hippos and Elephants in their own habitat.
Elephants can beat most.

....I too prefer the Tiger, but am also a fan of the Cheetah and Jaguars.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Do you have a thing for Jaguars? I read a book about a woman in Belize that was doing research on them. I forget her name, although google would probably tell me pretty quickly. There's an outfit in brazil that's now guaranteeing Jaguar sightings in the wild. I'm considering it for the future, although probably not for my upcoming trip, since it would cut too far in to my budget and prevent me from staying down there as long as I want. I absolutely love them though. They're beautiful cats and amazing creatures.

I do find them perhaps the most fascinating of the big cats, especially because we used to have them in Southern California albeit a bit before my time. The last known case of a jaguar being killed in SoCal was one that was shot near Palm Springs in 1861. A pair were shot near Ft. Tejon in 1855. One was killed in Baja California as recently 1955.

Although not nearly as dangerous to man in the wild as the lion, tiger or leopard, they are by far the most dangerous cat in captivity. I once went with my grandfather, who was in the movie business (twice nominated for an Oscar), out to the World Jungle Compound in Thousand Oaks that provided a lot of animals for the film industry. He wanted to rent a jaguar for a movie set in South America that he was working on. The proprietors said they wouldn't have a jaguar on the property--far too dangerous. My grandfather settled for a puma. The L.A. Zoo for many years displayed a jaguar that had killed a keeper at another zoo. A young woman I knew who was a family friend was and is a professional animal trainer. She raised a pair of jaguars from cubs. When he was about 18 months old (as I recall), the male made a determined attempt to kill her. She was lucky to escape unscather. Thereafter he was relentless in his attempts to get her. This occurred at Tippi Hedrin's Shambala Preserve in Acton. Tippi wrote in her memoir that she was extremely relieved to get rid of those jaguars.

I think it's neat that they are recolonizing the American Southwest. I just hope the damn Border Fence project doesn't put paid to this.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is incredible....I love big cats. I watch Big Cat Diaries whenever its on Animal Planet. I personally have a thing for solitary cats. I root for Cheetas the most though since they always seem like the underdog due to their size.
Oh and Snow leopards...I thought they were the coolest looking cats when I saw one for the 1st time on Planet Earth.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
^^ JLibourel, have you ever been to the Exotic Feline Breeding Compound in Rosamund? I've been a few times with my family--you can get up close and personal with jaguars, leopards, pumas, snow leopards, lions, bengal and siberian tigers (the latter are just absolutely gigantic, just hundreds of pounds of pure predator), and a lot of the smaller cats like ocelots (IMO the most beautiful cat), servals, etc. Apparently if you time it right you can watch them feed the cats, which I always wanted to do, but never had a chance to. Always wanted to go to Shambala, but haven't yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads