• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leopard preys on Crocodile

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I'm not familiar with that establishment. Sounds interesting though. Even though the price of gas is down, the time and expense of a drive to Rosamund seems a little daunting these days.

I got a private tour of Shambala by one of the trainers/keepers there. I was accompanied by well-known gunwriter Mike Venturino and his wife.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
No, I'm not familiar with that establishment. Sounds interesting though. Even though the price of gas is down, the time and expense of a drive to Rosamund seems a little daunting these days. I got a private tour of Shambala by one of the trainers/keepers there. I was accompanied by well-known gunwriter Mike Venturino and his wife.
My mother recently called Shambala to ask for information and try to work out a time to visit, left a message, and returned home to find a message on her answering machine left by Tippie Hedren herself. It's great to know that she takes such an active interest in the preserve. I recommend the EFBC trip if (for some ungodly reason) you're ever vaguely in the area. It's a great place, and they do some pretty good work, but you're right that it's very far out of the way.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably just that--a big black cat. Some feral cats can get quite huge in a few generations. I believe they are responsible for a lot of "black panther" sightings. Some feral housecats have been shot in Australia that weighed in the 60-80 pound range--the size of a small leopard.

Melanistic jaguars are quite rare, much more than melanistic leopards ("black panthers"). I did hear of a jaguar, a released or escaped exotic pet, no doubt, sighted in south Florida many years ago, but it was of the common spotted variety.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Probably just that--a big black cat. Some feral cats can get quite huge in a few generations. I believe they are responsible for a lot of "black panther" sightings. Some feral housecats have been shot in Australia that weighed in the 60-80 pound range--the size of a small leopard.
wow.gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
wow.gif

wow.gif
+1 SUPERwow How much do you think Frau Boxleitner weighs? My guess is that she was about 35 pounds in the late 1990's, but recently has trimmed down to 7-8lbs and has written a self-help book for other cats (I kan haz teh Skinneee, Meowbner Press, 2004.)

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sainted RJ cat lost almost half his body weight at the end.

I think I'll go away and think by myself now.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
The sainted RJ cat lost almost half his body weight at the end. I think I'll go away and think by myself now.
I thought the purpose of teh RJmanholebearpig was to look past and beyond teh RJman. As such, you need to leave what's in the past in the past. RJmanholebearpig, to compensate, should buy a leopard/giant cat, fixing a new avatar "Teh RJleopard has a pride... 4'11" 67.5lbs"

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Note to self: Do not f*** with a leopard.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was watching this video of Eagle pulling goats off the edge of cliffs and thought of this thread.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Goats or mountain sheep lambs? Looked more like the latter to me, but biologically it's hard to differentiate sheep and goats.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had no idea mountain sheep even existed to be honest.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had no idea mountain sheep even existed to be honest.

Oh, my yes! Very sought-after trophies. Many big game hunters strive and expend great sums of money to achieve a "Grand Slam" of the North American sheep--Dall, stone, bighorn and desert. There are many species of wild sheep in the Old World, the most sought-after probably being the Marco Polo sheep from Afghanistan and thereabouts and the Mongolian argali.

There are some animals that are borderline between sheep and goats--like the bharal of the Himalayas and the aoudad of North Africa. The mountain goat of North America is not a goat at all--more closely related to the antelopes, and our pronghorn antelope is not an antelope. Confusing, ain't it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads