• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

BOF

Reaction score
Are there any other boots similar to the Gentleman's Traveler (I like the style/craftsmanship, and want a boot that will last for years) that will work for a wide foot? All that I've read seems to indicate that it's good for normal/narrow feet, but would be too long for someone that needs a wide.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^ The Paul Smith Ricards. I have a wide feet and it fits me well. It is better quality but also for double the price. I also think it looks slightly better with the dip-dyed color.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
^^^ The Paul Smith Ricards. I have a wide feet and it fits me well. It is better quality but also for double the price. I also think it looks slightly better with the dip-dyed color.
I would have to disagree as much as a I love the Ricards. First they are two completely different types of boots. The red wings are work boots and the Ricards are fashion boots. The GTs are chunkier with a commando sole compared to the sleek profile and leather sole of the Ricards.
145524_366_45.jpg
s7xc-a094-wsh-s25-14488.jpg

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^ I agree but he did ask for a similar style and craftmanship that will lasta while but will fit wider feet and the Ricards, although less rugged and serves a slightly different purpose, fits in with the requirements he asked.

Here's a pic of a black pair for better comparison.
smile.gif

s8xc-a095-wsh-n3-17946.jpg

pharrow59

Reaction score
semi-related question: what color belt with the black cherries? i'm thinking black or tan. brown seems to be too close and would look "off." i think a burgundy belt would be too "matchy." thoughts?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GTs aren't really work boots, although I suppose they are tough enough to be.

They are part of Red Wing's "Lifestyle" or leisure line, they don't even show up in the work boot catalog.

GTs fit pretty roomy, possibly wide, try a pair before passing on them. Ricards are great too, of course.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are right they arent work boots more like a hybrid. Something that a working gentlemen/traveler might need.

Rock

Reaction score
Seems like some pics have the Red Wing logo stamped on the side of the boot, but others don't. Does anyone have boots with the logo embossed?

atomicranch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rock
Seems like some pics have the Red Wing logo stamped on the side of the boot, but others don't. Does anyone have boots with the logo embossed?

Mine have the logo. I got them from cultizm about 9 months ago.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads