1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by imstr8trippin, May 15, 2008.

1. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

What kind of socks do people wear with these? I was planning on getting a pair of wool socks to wear this winter, but that's probably gonna be to hot for late summer and fall.

2. delirium

delirium Senior member

What kind of socks do people wear with these? I was planning on getting a pair of wool socks to wear this winter, but that's probably gonna be to hot for late summer and fall.

I don't think these boots need special socks. o_O?
    Anything goes, man.

3. Chrispy

Chrispy Senior member

Are these made in the US?

4. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

Are these made in the US?

Yes. ...at least my tag says so and everything I've read on retailers sites says so.

5. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Can anyone tell me the difference between the 1911 and the 1914? They both look exactly the same to me.

6. BOF

BOF Senior member

Are there any other boots similar to the Gentleman's Traveler (I like the style/craftsmanship, and want a boot that will last for years) that will work for a wide foot? All that I've read seems to indicate that it's good for normal/narrow feet, but would be too long for someone that needs a wide.

7. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

^^^ The Paul Smith Ricards. I have a wide feet and it fits me well. It is better quality but also for double the price. I also think it looks slightly better with the dip-dyed color.

8. Ichiran

Ichiran New Member

^The Red Wing Iron Ranger is available in EE sizes. You can see them here at Zappos.

9. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

^^^ The Paul Smith Ricards. I have a wide feet and it fits me well. It is better quality but also for double the price. I also think it looks slightly better with the dip-dyed color.
    I would have to disagree as much as a I love the Ricards. First they are two completely different types of boots. The red wings are work boots and the Ricards are fashion boots. The GTs are chunkier with a commando sole compared to the sleek profile and leather sole of the Ricards. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

^^^ I agree but he did ask for a similar style and craftmanship that will lasta while but will fit wider feet and the Ricards, although less rugged and serves a slightly different purpose, fits in with the requirements he asked.

Here's a pic of a black pair for better comparison.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. pharrow59

pharrow59 Senior member

semi-related question: what color belt with the black cherries? i'm thinking black or tan. brown seems to be too close and would look "off." i think a burgundy belt would be too "matchy." thoughts?

12. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

GTs aren't really work boots, although I suppose they are tough enough to be.

They are part of Red Wing's "Lifestyle" or leisure line, they don't even show up in the work boot catalog.

GTs fit pretty roomy, possibly wide, try a pair before passing on them. Ricards are great too, of course.

13. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

You are right they arent work boots more like a hybrid. Something that a working gentlemen/traveler might need.

14. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

If I ever buy a pair again I will size down a complete size from my true foot size.

15. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

16. Rock

Rock Senior member

Seems like some pics have the Red Wing logo stamped on the side of the boot, but others don't. Does anyone have boots with the logo embossed?

17. atomicranch

atomicranch Senior member

Seems like some pics have the Red Wing logo stamped on the side of the boot, but others don't. Does anyone have boots with the logo embossed?

Mine have the logo. I got them from cultizm about 9 months ago.

18. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

I had a pair from cultizm without a logo.

19. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

I had a pair from cultizm without a logo.

+1