• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by premo
So... fake?

I just called Red Wing to clarify this. Model 9011 (the US version of the GT) has no logo no the side. The 1911 (International version of the GT) has a logo on the side.

Can anyone second that?

You just called Red Wing and you need more proof?

Yes this is old news. They both have the same name, different product code. I haven't seen 1911 sold for new in months.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just about to pull the trigger on some size 10 GT's, true size is 10.5 in dunks although my feet are just a hair wide so I can wear a 10E comfortably as well. When I get them I'll let you wide-footed gentlemen know what's up.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These shoes run a bit wide, there's countless mentions to GT sizing in this thread and SF in general already.

Gavin

Reaction score
I bought a pair of GTs today for a durable but semi-fashionable winter boot. I wanted something similar to the Ricards, but the only thing I could find in my price range (Varvatos on sale) was sold out in my size. I'll just wait until Boxing Day or the PS sale in January to pick up a more fashionable boot. Anyways, the point of my post: there's a store in Toronto, Get Outside, that is selling the GTs in black and cherry for $179 CAD plus $15 to ship to the US (free shipping within Canada).

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's an amazing price, especially for Canadians.

Almost makes me want to get a black pair to go with my cherry pair.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any consensous on the fit? Im a 11 EE in 875s and other RW, so whats my luck with GTs that only come in D? Size up a half size, or still to narrow?

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They definitely arent. I doubt you see anyone on the street wearing GTs and if you do they are probably from the forum. They arent at all popular outside of SF and SuFu.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Garage/Surf Rock
These boots are fast becoming the new Chucks or Dunks.

Yep, you should definitely pass on em.

Eagle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by datasupa
Um, yes they are. 1912 series, I believe. There are more GT models than the plain toe 1911/1914 models people have on here, but they're euro/*** versions mostly and harder to come by (i.e. not carried by zappos or cultizm).

Would you happen to have a current source for the 1012 series GT? I prefer the moc toe to the plain toe on the GTs sold by Zappo's.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To Get Smart, Tarmac, whacked, and any other regular on MC,

Since I'm a consistent US9D / UK8 in dress shoes, I gather US8.5 is the way to go with these right? They'll mostly be worn with midweight cotton socks...

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
To Get Smart, Tarmac, whacked, and any other regular on MC,

Since I'm a consistent US9D / UK8 in dress shoes, I gather US8.5 is the way to go with these right? They'll mostly be worn with midweight cotton socks...

I think I can help here...

For dress shoes I have:

9D AE Hale
9D AE Taunton (Borderline loose.)
9D AE Bel Air
9D AE Mora (Borderline loose.)
9D AE Soho
8.5 AE Soho (Borderline tight.)

I bought an 8 in the Red Wing GT and I'm very happy I did, as they fit perfectly in my opinion. (They required a bit of fighting to get into for the first week or so, but they're absolutely perfect now.)

I suggest sizing 1 down for the GT if you have a narrow or normally wide foot.

Gavin

Reaction score
Oh my God, the backs of my ankles hurt so much. They're both pretty bruised.

How long do these take to break in?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads