• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stop the Texting People...

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are text messages retained in the system? Could the NSA root them out?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I quite like texting because sometimes you may be in a situation where you can't just pick up the phone and start jabbering at something (such as a meeting or something). Texting, on the other hand, is almost unnoticable.

JB

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaeljkrell
Is anyone else completely sick of text messages. Instead of calling someone up and saying what you need to say, you trade a series of text messages that last 30 minutes when the conversation would have only lasted like 2 minutes. Or you are talking to someone, and there phone goes off and they try to carry on conversation while they are typing out something on their phone.

Am I old-fashioned?

I'm with you; I don't send text messages and got sick of getting unwanted text messages when people could just call me or send an email at work. A quick call to my phone company and that problem is solved; they can change your settings so that you can't receive or send texts.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Text messages are good, but remember don't use them for criminal activity, it's easy for the government to read them.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
Are text messages retained in the system? Could the NSA root them out?

Yes. Frankly, I don't think that the NSA really cares. However, my wife is a divorce lawyer and text messages between a cheating spouse and their paramour are now often subpeonaed and presented as evidence in divorce cases. I would think that in any official court proceeding where they are relevant someone can get at them. With a phone call they have to be actively taping the call in advance to get it and, of course, most states regulate that in some way.

stamp0102

Reaction score
I am certainly a texter. For one thing, I have a lot of friends that I know casually, but don't feel like we are on the level of "chatting" on the phone. Texting takes the emotion out of these situations. It's easier to text someone saying, "hey, whats up? whats doin later?" than it is to call and have an awkward 30 second conversation with them.

I also find that texting allows me to do other tasks at the same time. Typing short text messages takes only a few seconds every other minute or so. When I am on the phone, I find that I can't multitask if I am actually trying to meaningfully listen to the other person. Texting is also convenient when you don't want other ppl. to hear what you are talking about. I like to keep my business as my business.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaeljkrell
Or you are talking to someone, and there phone goes off and they try to carry on conversation while they are typing out something on their phone. Am I old-fashioned?
This is a big time asshole move. I can't stand people who do this. I was hanging out with a buddy who wouldn't put the blackberry away even after I told him it's rude and annoying like 10 times. Eventually I just decided to ditch him and go home and told him it was because of the blackberry.

flashback

Reaction score
I love texting, for many different reasons and in many different situations. I think anyone that doesn't like it or understands its usefulness is probably an old fuddy-duddy.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Yes. Frankly, I don't think that the NSA really cares. However, my wife is a divorce lawyer and text messages between a cheating spouse and their paramour are now often subpeonaed and presented as evidence in divorce cases. I would think that in any official court proceeding where they are relevant someone can get at them. With a phone call they have to be actively taping the call in advance to get it and, of course, most states regulate that in some way.

Yes, the soon to be ex Mayor of Detroit had a problem of this nature.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flashback
I love texting, for many different reasons and in many different situations. I think anyone that doesn't like it or understands its usefulness is probably an old fuddy-duddy.

ya probably dude LOL

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
If I need to write a message to someone, I'll write it with a fountain pen on fine stationary, wax seal it and send it via carrier pigeon.

Takes about the same amount of time as it does for you to reply to a text.
rimshot.gif

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Texts are useful but not when people are on the damn thing all day long. I believe we rely on them too much and waste too much time, when a simple call would suffice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads