1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Stop the Texting People...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by michaeljkrell, Sep 6, 2008.

1. lance konami

lance konami Senior member

It doesn't seem weird to you to dial up your dad, say, "Hey, nice shot by Kobe", have him say "Yeah!", then go, "uh... okay, bye." And to probably do this a good twenty times during the game?

Actually, sending a text saying "Hey, nice shot by Kobe" to your father seems more weird to me than making an honest effort to actually have a conversation. Do you really have to send him these texts throughout the game anyway? What's the point again?

Here's how I do it. If I know my dad is watching a game I might call after the game and talk to him about it for a bit. Most phone calls between us last about 5 to 10 minutes usually and don't require any in depth discussions really. Then again, my dad wouldn't even know how to text on his phone.

Like I said, if it works for you two, that's fine. I'm just saying that texting is generally used precisely because people don't want to actually have a conversation with the person, which begs the question, if you don't want to actually have a conversation with them, why not just not have the conversation at all and wait until you do want to?

2. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

Actually, sending a text saying "Hey, nice shot by Kobe" to your father seems more weird to me than making an honest effort to actually have a conversation. Do you really have to send him these texts throughout the game anyway? What's the point again?

Here's how I do it. If I know my dad is watching a game I might call after the game and talk to him about it for a bit. Most phone calls between us last about 5 to 10 minutes usually and don't require any in depth discussions really. Then again, my dad wouldn't even know how to text on his phone.

Like I said, if it works for you two, that's fine. I'm just saying that texting is generally used precisely because people don't want to actually have a conversation with the person, which begs the question, if you don't want to actually have a conversation with them, why not just not have the conversation at all and wait until you do want to?

An after-the-game convo would be fine, but this is more like actually watching the game together. When I'm at my parents' place and we watch a Lakers game, as usually happens when I'm there around Christmas, it's the same thing: we're both watching, not talking, then there's a great shot, or a bad call, or something, and you praise it or grumble or express frustration, then you both shut up and watch the game some more. This is the same thing, only without having to hold a phone to your head and have long silences, which for whatever reason are weird and awkward on the phone, but fine in person.

3. Joshua Arson

Joshua Arson Senior member

Rebelling against texting is cool.

It's the only reason I do it.

4. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

That's fine. See the part where I wrote "I can understand the usefulness of texting for addresses, instructions, and logistics"

We also found it very useful in ousting a corrupt president.

5. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

People who don't understand texting are most likely old/old fashion. It is a highly efficient way of communication, and just because you can't type on your cell phone as fast as you can type on a computer doesn't mean the rest of us can't. It is very useful, lets say I want to talk to 5 friends at once to meet at 8 somewhere, I can do this all very quickly with one text sent to 5 people. If I were to call all of them it would take a while. Also during work hours, if you need to communicate with people outside of work but don't want to call, this is a real easy way of sending a quick message.

Rude people are rude people so if someone is non stop texting while trying to hold a conversation with you, they would be multi tasking with something else, it isn't just because of texting.

Even my parents in their 50s have switched to text messaging, instead of having to call me for every little question, they can quickly ask me a question and I can answer, short and sweet.

Next someone is going to say cell phones are useless.

6. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

It's the only reason I do it.

Does it make you feel "hip" and "outside the box"?

7. Joshua Arson

Joshua Arson Senior member

Does it make you feel "hip" and "outside the box"?

"Outside the box" is too mainstream of a descriptor for my tastes.

8. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

"Outside the box" is too mainstream of a descriptor for my tastes.

Touche [​IMG]

JB

9. Victor123

Victor123 Well-Known Member

I've told people that I don't have a text plan and to please stop and they continued to send messages. [​IMG]

10. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

I'm just saying that texting is generally used precisely because people don't want to actually have a conversation with the person, which begs the question, if you don't want to actually have a conversation with them, why not just not have the conversation at all and wait until you do want to?

Do you communicate in any manner other than full-blown heartfelt face-to-face conversation? Why not save all the greetings, the bullshit hows-the-weather, the 30-second chats in the hallway until you actually want to sit down and go over for feelings for an hour?

you make no sense

Bottom-line. You can complain about texting. You can complain about how new forms of communication detract from Good Ole Conversatin'. These are all valid viewpoints. But HOW CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS WHILE USING AN INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD????

11. lance konami

lance konami Senior member

Do you communicate in any manner other than full-blown heartfelt face-to-face conversation? Why not save all the greetings, the bullshit hows-the-weather, the 30-second chats in the hallway until you actually want to sit down and go over for feelings for an hour?
    How in god's name did you conclude from what I said that I only want to have "full-blown heartfelt face-to-face conversations" and "go over feelings for an hour?" What the fuck?
    Ok?
    Texting does have it's place. I'm just saying that when it becomes the preferred medium of communication it isn't a good thing. Communication is mostly non-verbal, and a text only contains a tiny piece of information. "e-ships" or "text-ships" are really not all that healthy. Perhaps you'd rather talk to people over your cell phone's keyboard. I'd rather hear them, and look at them, and not have to hallucinate them. And again, I'm talking about real life friendships and relationships with the opposite sex, not a bunch of people I don't know on an internet messageboard, for christ sake.

12. Nahmeanz

Nahmeanz Senior member

I prefer AIM or blackberry messenger to texting.

13. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

I likes to use this new thing, called the WAP phone. iT's great for WAP

14. Orsini

Orsini Senior member

Yes. Frankly, I don't think that the NSA really cares. However, my wife is a divorce lawyer and text messages between a cheating spouse and their paramour are now often subpeonaed and presented as evidence in divorce cases. I would think that in any official court proceeding where they are relevant someone can get at them. With a phone call they have to be actively taping the call in advance to get it and, of course, most states regulate that in some way.
    Thank you.

15. herzzreh

herzzreh Senior member

Stupidity from last night...
    I get a message from a number I don't recognize -
    "Im soaking wet...thnak you for a really nice dinner."
    At this point I call back to find out who this is. No answer.
    I send this "You're welcome, but I don't think we had dinner."
    Get "IS THIS ANDY?"
    Send "Nope."
    Get "Sorry for bothering u...have a great night. haha"

This went on for 15-20 minutes. WTF, people?!?!?!?! Had he answered my call in the first place, it would've been resolved within seconds.

16. TowleY

TowleY Senior member

Is anyone else completely sick of text messages. Instead of calling someone up and saying what you need to say, you trade a series of text messages that last 30 minutes when the conversation would have only lasted like 2 minutes. Or you are talking to someone, and there phone goes off and they try to carry on conversation while they are typing out something on their phone.

Am I old-fashioned?

The only thing that I hate it when my mom texts me.
    Bryan, how was yor day of school. Sent 3:46 pm
    Bryan did you get my last text message. Sent 3:47 pm
    Bryan why arent you answering your texts. Sent 3:48 pm
    Bryan give me a call whats going on. Sent 3:50 pm

This is all seriousness. I just scrolled through my phone and copied what was texted to me my last week at school.

And yes, im 18 i hate the long conversations in texts also. Not old fashioned either. Texts hould be use for the "What r you doing later" "Whos at the party" "where are you" Not a whole conversation. Or a long elaborate essay.

17. dexterhaven

dexterhaven Senior member

I'm glad this thread got bumped today. I don't know how many texts I got this morning, obviously sent en masse, that said "Merry Christmas" or some such thing. What possesses people to do that? Do they really think that some goofy message sent to me along with everyone else they possibly know is going to make me feel special? And then there's the "text speak" (wutz up w/ U, I wanna c 2, etc.). Can you believe there are grown men who actually write like that and apparently see nothing wrong with it?

18. BoilerRoom

BoilerRoom Senior member

People don't realize how much of a nuisance texting is for people with phones that lack keypads or autocomplete.

If a question requires more than a "yes or no" answer, don't send it to me, please.

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

People don't realize how much of a nuisance texting is for people with phones that lack keypads or autocomplete.

If a question requires more than a "yes or no" answer, don't send it to me, please.

Buy a better phone. Thanks.

20. unjung

unjung Senior member

Buy a better phone. Thanks.

'Cause pio wants to sext you.