1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Stop the Texting People...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by michaeljkrell, Sep 6, 2008.

1. stamp0102

stamp0102 Senior member

I am certainly a texter. For one thing, I have a lot of friends that I know casually, but don't feel like we are on the level of "chatting" on the phone. Texting takes the emotion out of these situations. It's easier to text someone saying, "hey, whats up? whats doin later?" than it is to call and have an awkward 30 second conversation with them.

I also find that texting allows me to do other tasks at the same time. Typing short text messages takes only a few seconds every other minute or so. When I am on the phone, I find that I can't multitask if I am actually trying to meaningfully listen to the other person. Texting is also convenient when you don't want other ppl. to hear what you are talking about. I like to keep my business as my business.

2. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

Or you are talking to someone, and there phone goes off and they try to carry on conversation while they are typing out something on their phone. Am I old-fashioned?
    This is a big time asshole move. I can't stand people who do this. I was hanging out with a buddy who wouldn't put the blackberry away even after I told him it's rude and annoying like 10 times. Eventually I just decided to ditch him and go home and told him it was because of the blackberry.

3. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

If I need to write a message to someone, I'll write it with a fountain pen on fine stationary, wax seal it and send it via carrier pigeon.

4. michaeljkrell

michaeljkrell Senior member

At least someone still has some class...

I'll have to see what Miss Manners has to say about texting. The last book I read of hers didn't mention it...

5. flashback

flashback Senior member

I love texting, for many different reasons and in many different situations. I think anyone that doesn't like it or understands its usefulness is probably an old fuddy-duddy.

6. babygreenspots

babygreenspots Senior member

Clearly, it can be rude to text during social times. Recieving calls can be annoying too though.

7. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Yes. Frankly, I don't think that the NSA really cares. However, my wife is a divorce lawyer and text messages between a cheating spouse and their paramour are now often subpeonaed and presented as evidence in divorce cases. I would think that in any official court proceeding where they are relevant someone can get at them. With a phone call they have to be actively taping the call in advance to get it and, of course, most states regulate that in some way.

Yes, the soon to be ex Mayor of Detroit had a problem of this nature.

8. dusty

dusty Senior member

I love texting, for many different reasons and in many different situations. I think anyone that doesn't like it or understands its usefulness is probably an old fuddy-duddy.

ya probably dude LOL

9. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

If I need to write a message to someone, I'll write it with a fountain pen on fine stationary, wax seal it and send it via carrier pigeon.

Takes about the same amount of time as it does for you to reply to a text.
    [​IMG]

10. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

Texts are useful but not when people are on the damn thing all day long. I believe we rely on them too much and waste too much time, when a simple call would suffice.

11. lefty

lefty Senior member

I think anyone that doesn't like it or understands its usefulness is probably an old fuddy-duddy.

Put me down as as fuddy duddy who refuses to communicate like a 11-year-old girl.

I don't respond to text messages.

lefty

12. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

I love text messages for most things. No small talk needed and you have a record of things, which can be useful for directions, etc. Sometimes it doesn't make sense to text someone though. I hate it when people have text conversations like:

"Jigga where you at?"
    "what?"
    "holla!"
    "oh."
    "turn right"
    "where?"
    "where you at?"

Basically, I use whatever will make my life easier. Both voice and text can live in harmony.

13. garmentmerchant

garmentmerchant Senior member

I was born in '82 so for all intents and purposes I shoud be hip to this whole text messageing thing, but I am like the first poster. Just pick up the phone i dont want to sit here and spell out what i can tell you in one breath and save us both the agony of a 20 minute text session. I have many friends from college that you call and call and call, and wont answer but you send them a text and they respond immediately fucking weirdos. I guess i fall in the 26 y/o fuddy duddy crowd.

14. babygreenspots

I was born in '82 so for all intents and purposes I shoud be hip to this whole text messageing thing, but I am like the first poster. Just pick up the phone i dont want to sit here and spell out what i can tell you in one breath and save us both the agony of a 20 minute text session. I have many friends from college that you call and call and call, and wont answer but you send them a text and they respond immediately fucking weirdos. I guess i fall in the 26 y/o fuddy duddy crowd.

I don't quite get this whole twenty minute texting session thing. Whatever time saving gained from phoning is lost with the inevitable need to exchange pleasentries and the complete breaking of concentration for both parties. Receiving a phone call can ravage my morning, which texting rarely does.

On the other hand, I believe the etiquette for texting and cell phone use in general has not been made adequately clear or universal. It is rude to costantly send messages during a lunch and it is also obnoxious to send excessively unclear message that necessitate a long exchange.

15. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I'm with babygreenspots. Texting is just much more convenient. It doesn't interrupt you nearly as much as a phone call does and doesn't require intellectual or emotional investment.

I don't mind getting a post-date text message, like "thanks for seeing me" or "did you have fun?", but a post-date call would be highly annoying.

16. michaeljkrell

It...doesn't require intellectual or emotional investment.

If you don't need this investment why should this conversation be going on in the first place? Texting or otherwise? Texting just promotes more interaction that is pointless because it is easier than calling someone up.

17. Jelly or Syrup

Jelly or Syrup Senior member

for those who refuse to text ppl, just admit it

you have fat fingers. instead of typing a 3 letter word it becomes 7

18. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Nothing ever worth talking about was typed out with a thumb

19. michaeljkrell

Did Plato or Aristotle say that?

20. babygreenspots

If you don't need this investment why should this conversation be going on in the first place? Texting or otherwise? Texting just promotes more interaction that is pointless because it is easier than calling someone up.
    this is true some of the time. There are texts sent to convey nicenesses for which one might not bother actually calling. However, at the end of the day, most of the texting I do is to settle small matters related to business. Most texting I do is to (1) give an instruction/convey a piece of work-related information, (2) write out an address or (3) arrange the time for a meeting. For the third one of these, it is a very simple message that simply requires a time, place and question mark. I just don't see how this takes so much more time than calling, which often means disrupting someone while they are either at work or socializing. If I am either working or socializing, and I see that I have received a text, I can wait a few minutes to look at it when I have free time and then take appropriate action. If I receive a call, immediate action is usually demanded. It is harder to not pick up the call, and once I have picked it up, I am often quite distracted from what I have been doing. I submit that more time is wasted this way. Since I am often very busy at odd hours, I instruct my friends and others to text rather than call. Those rejecting text messaging should think carefully about this and not just be knee-jerk about it. None of the texting I do is silly messaging with teenage girls. Also, the point about having an easily accessible record is very important. If someone calls me, and I promise some sort of action, I do sometimes forget (say if I am in a bus and it is not convenient to make a note of what must be done). If I receive a text, I have a record and a reminder. Now, I don't even have a blackberry. I'm supposing that I will like that even more.