Stop the Texting People...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by michaeljkrell, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Orsini

Orsini Senior member

Are text messages retained in the system? Could the NSA root them out?

2. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

I quite like texting because sometimes you may be in a situation where you can't just pick up the phone and start jabbering at something (such as a meeting or something). Texting, on the other hand, is almost unnoticable.

JB

3. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Is anyone else completely sick of text messages. Instead of calling someone up and saying what you need to say, you trade a series of text messages that last 30 minutes when the conversation would have only lasted like 2 minutes. Or you are talking to someone, and there phone goes off and they try to carry on conversation while they are typing out something on their phone.

Am I old-fashioned?

I'm with you; I don't send text messages and got sick of getting unwanted text messages when people could just call me or send an email at work. A quick call to my phone company and that problem is solved; they can change your settings so that you can't receive or send texts.

4. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Text messages are good, but remember don't use them for criminal activity, it's easy for the government to read them.

5. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

Are text messages retained in the system? Could the NSA root them out?

Yes. Frankly, I don't think that the NSA really cares. However, my wife is a divorce lawyer and text messages between a cheating spouse and their paramour are now often subpeonaed and presented as evidence in divorce cases. I would think that in any official court proceeding where they are relevant someone can get at them. With a phone call they have to be actively taping the call in advance to get it and, of course, most states regulate that in some way.

6. stamp0102

stamp0102 Senior member

I am certainly a texter. For one thing, I have a lot of friends that I know casually, but don't feel like we are on the level of "chatting" on the phone. Texting takes the emotion out of these situations. It's easier to text someone saying, "hey, whats up? whats doin later?" than it is to call and have an awkward 30 second conversation with them.

I also find that texting allows me to do other tasks at the same time. Typing short text messages takes only a few seconds every other minute or so. When I am on the phone, I find that I can't multitask if I am actually trying to meaningfully listen to the other person. Texting is also convenient when you don't want other ppl. to hear what you are talking about. I like to keep my business as my business.

7. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

Or you are talking to someone, and there phone goes off and they try to carry on conversation while they are typing out something on their phone. Am I old-fashioned?
    This is a big time asshole move. I can't stand people who do this. I was hanging out with a buddy who wouldn't put the blackberry away even after I told him it's rude and annoying like 10 times. Eventually I just decided to ditch him and go home and told him it was because of the blackberry.

8. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

If I need to write a message to someone, I'll write it with a fountain pen on fine stationary, wax seal it and send it via carrier pigeon.

9. michaeljkrell

michaeljkrell Senior member

At least someone still has some class...

I'll have to see what Miss Manners has to say about texting. The last book I read of hers didn't mention it...

10. flashback

flashback Senior member

I love texting, for many different reasons and in many different situations. I think anyone that doesn't like it or understands its usefulness is probably an old fuddy-duddy.

11. babygreenspots

babygreenspots Senior member

Clearly, it can be rude to text during social times. Recieving calls can be annoying too though.

12. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Yes. Frankly, I don't think that the NSA really cares. However, my wife is a divorce lawyer and text messages between a cheating spouse and their paramour are now often subpeonaed and presented as evidence in divorce cases. I would think that in any official court proceeding where they are relevant someone can get at them. With a phone call they have to be actively taping the call in advance to get it and, of course, most states regulate that in some way.

Yes, the soon to be ex Mayor of Detroit had a problem of this nature.

13. dusty

dusty Senior member

I love texting, for many different reasons and in many different situations. I think anyone that doesn't like it or understands its usefulness is probably an old fuddy-duddy.

ya probably dude LOL

14. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

If I need to write a message to someone, I'll write it with a fountain pen on fine stationary, wax seal it and send it via carrier pigeon.

Takes about the same amount of time as it does for you to reply to a text.
    [​IMG]

15. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

Texts are useful but not when people are on the damn thing all day long. I believe we rely on them too much and waste too much time, when a simple call would suffice.