• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
Vintage Bulova with original strap (my dad's old watch)
That is interesting, like the lugs, is it a gmt? I thinking the red arrow and the 24hr scale. Dont know much about Bulovas, acutron that is one of their things isnt it. And there is somethik like a tuning fork somewhere?

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by speedster.8
That is interesting, like the lugs, is it a gmt? I thinking the red arrow and the 24hr scale.
Dont know much about Bulovas, acutron that is one of their things isnt it. And there is somethik like a tuning fork somewhere?

It's not a GMT. The red hand is for the date.

dpw

Reaction score
Great watches guys! Here are mine:

My daily wearer. I've scratched the hell out of it and need to get it polished soon.

Rolex: for classier occasions

Vacheron Constantin: for even classier occasions

Chaumet

Vintage Bulova with original strap (my dad's old watch)

Vintage Longines with new strap (my dad's old watch)

Thanks for looking!

I have a couple of my dad's watches and one from my grandfather and I really treasure them.

I also have a gold Chaumet on a gold bracelet which I like. Underrated in my opinion.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not a GMT. The red hand is for the date.
Thanks for pointing out the obvious. I can get a head of my self & wish for something
wink.gif
Stil nice though... I also inherited some descent ones from my grandparents. Had one of them restorerd beyond original value. But I wear it with great joy.

KBW

Reaction score
Contaygious GO should send commission your way as I have to buy one of those after seeing yours.

contaygious

Reaction score
Haha. I have only had it for the weekend, but highly reccomend it. It has been very accurate so far and I love knowing that I never have to wind it. At first it just seemed so small when I received it as I'm used to seeing 42s nowadays, but after having it on my wrist I can honestly say that I wouldn't want it any bigger than 39.5 and it does wear a bit bigger than most around that size IMO (i.e. Chopard L.U.C., Girard-Perregaux Classique Elegance - the other two I was considering).

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
I found a Breaitling and a Pulsar watch! Well it was while searching my own things for items to give away after some weight loss. I mean clothing items, not the watches. C'mon people, who gives away Breitlings?

Anyway, I came across these yesterday:

The Breitling was bought by me about 10 years ago when I was flush. Then and now I know little about watches. I bought it because it is a chronometerr and I liked the colors! It is a quartz Breitling, and I don't even know if I considered other watches back then:

First here's my dad's mechanical Pulsar:

PulsarandBreitling019.jpg

PulsarandBreitling018.jpg

PulsarandBreitling017.jpg

PulsarandBreitling007.jpg

It's old, and it's nothing special but I love the idea that he wore it and wouhd it every day and now I'm going to do the same. He passed away over 35 years ago. AAMOF, I've been told that the Pulsar mechanicals are much rarer than the quartz Pulsars. What say you watch experrts?

And here's the Breitling. Besutiful colors and looks to me, but what do I know. And believe it or not 10 years ago I didn't even consider mechanical or quartz as a buying decision.

PulsarandBreitling024.jpg

PulsarandBreitling022.jpg

PulsarandBreitling011.jpg

PulsarandBreitling012.jpg

PulsarandBreitling013.jpg

PulsarandBreitling014.jpg

PulsarandBreitling015.jpg

PulsarandBreitling016.jpg

What say you watch experts on this one?

BTW: I love things with a story. My daily watch has been a 1967 Longines Flagship that was given to me by a Dave Rickey (now deceased). He was an Olympic coach who coached 5 Gold Medal winners in the 1968 Mexico City Olympics. The Longines Flagship was presented to him after the Modesto Relays of that year and he owned it till he died last year. I'll picture that one when I get a chance.

Watch guys, give me some input? I love my dad's watch more and more and it's now my daily go to. I bought the Breitling at Tourneau in the Galleria in the early 1990s (pre internet shopping days). I literally had forgotten about it and hadn't worn it in about 10 years or more!

It has no sentimental value to me. I might or might not be able to find the original receipts, but I have the Wooden Breitling Box, the outer box, and the warranty card and some other papers. Of course it's in nice shape. I'll probably get it serviced or maybe put a new movement in it (I don't think or know if it needs one, but I'm a perfectionist about such things).

Greg and you watch guys. What is the approximate value of a Breitling like this? Is it desirable? Yes, I know I can go to Timezone but I know nothing about watches and was just looking for input and some sort of ballpark value opinion.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll let Breitling collectors answer these questions. I never had an interest in the brand so I don't know anything about the collectibility or value of your watch. Sorry
frown.gif

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Watch guys, give me some input? I love my dad's watch more and more and it's now my daily go to. I bought the Breitling at Tourneau in the Galleria in the early 1990s (pre internet shopping days). I literally had forgotten about it and hadn't worn it in about 10 years or more! It has no sentimental value to me. I might or might not be able to find the original receipts, but I have the Wooden Breitling Box, the outer box, and the warranty card and some other papers. Of course it's in nice shape. I'll probably get it serviced or maybe put a new movement in it (I don't think or know if it needs one, but I'm a perfectionist about such things). Greg and you watch guys. What is the approximate value of a Breitling like this? Is it desirable? Yes, I know I can go to Timezone but I know nothing about watches and was just looking for input and some sort of ballpark value opinion.
I hesitate to state any value but honestly, it's not a very desireable watch. I gave my cousin a similar Breitling quartz chrono a few years ago. It's probably a similar vintage as yours. He had it serviced recently by Breitling and I think it cost on the order of $500. I think they replaced the movement and hands. They did replace the strap for "free" though. I believe that $500 would be a large percentage of what you'd be able to get for it. If you don't like that two-tone effect anymore, I think you can fairly easily replace the gold rider tabs with SS ones. If you do like that look, nevermind. Oh, and the box is bakelite.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I'll let Breitling collectors answer these questions. I never had an interest in the brand so I don't know anything about the collectibility or value of your watch. Sorry
frown.gif

My feeling for both Breitling and Omega.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
My feeling for both Breitling and Omega.

I know you do. I am puzzled by your lack of appreciation for Omega given your general good taste in watch designs, but I acknowledge it.

borderline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iridium7777
my bet it's some type of a rolex cellini, current, not vintage.

Update on the Mad Men watch I posted earlier in the thread. Those guys over at Timezone noted that JLC has been mentioned as being used on the show, but that doesn't mean this particular watch is a JLC.

To me it kind of looks much more like a version of this JLC, and nothing like any rolex cellini I've seen online:

http://www.antiquewatchcouk.com/watc...frontside4.JPG

Another guy said "That is not a case, dial, or handset that JLC ever used. There is also far to much writing on the dial for it to be a JLC."

Therefore no one has been able to ID this watch yet.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I know you do. I am puzzled by your lack of appreciation for Omega given your general good taste in watch designs, but I acknowledge it.

Even my hard on for Michael Phelps and love of the color orange hasn't swayed me yet....

iridium7777

Reaction score
Originally Posted by borderline
Another guy said "That is not a case, dial, or handset that JLC ever used. There is also far to much writing on the dial for it to be a JLC."

Therefore no one has been able to ID this watch yet.

exactly for that reason, i think it's some variation of a rolex cellini. rolex are known to make a brazillion of different dials for models like datejust and day date, even daytonas, i don't see why this isn't some platinum special cellini.

to me it looks much closer to one of these than any other jlc i've seen, well, maybe not the last one:
cellini_danaos.jpg

735158061517396F9FE34792EF178827M.jpg

IMGP7194_1024_small.JPG

rlx5094cellin.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads