• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The umbrella, cane, riding crop and miscellaneous accessories Appreciation thread

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeonM
Me too. Was flabbergasted to see Made in Italy label!

Leon

smile.gif

Clearly rain is not a uniquely British phenomenon, despite persistent rumour to the contrary. I remember iammatt posting some glorious Italian brollies in a previous thread.

Anyway, a few thumbnailed pics of the Smith:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BB with sterling handle (made in Italy), Black Fleece with some sort of African wood handle (made in Italy), and a Brigg with a cherry bark handle.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Man, some great stuff showing up in this thread. I'm digging all the pics. Nice to see your Smith, HF -- seems like photos of those are a rare commodity.

With the discussion of silk v. nylon in the other umbrella thread, I thought it might be nice to see the view from beneath three different canopies. All the pics were taken with the umbrellas pointing in the same direction, in the span of about five minutes.

Peerless nylon:
peer1.jpg

Brigg nylon - notice how it blocks out more light:
brigg.jpg

And Fox silk:
fox.jpg

What's this? Actual rain?
peer2.jpg

And the tips. From left, Brigg, Peerless, and a long-sought replacement from Gilbert Stuart:
tips.jpg

m_wave

Reaction score
what brand is the far right?

It looks much slimmer than the other two..

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For you gents with the pretty umbrellas, how well do they hold up to wind? (like Seattle wind)

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loving all the pics. I'd like to see some Fox umbrellas if anyone has one.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
For you gents with the pretty umbrellas, how well do they hold up to wind? (like Seattle wind)
My Brigg is my go-to umbrella and thus has seen the most wind, rain, and snow. It's held up very well.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This may sound like blasphemy but aren't the nice umbrellas also very heavy? I toted a friend's Brigg for a while and between that and my bag with laptop, papers, camera, my shoulders were in quite a bit of pain at the end of the day.

Also, the curved handle umbrellas are a million times more practical. There have been innumerable times when I had to juggle things in my hands and it was so much more practical to be able to hook it onto my arm for a minute. I think the curved handle design could really stand to be improved though. For instance, if I'm eating at a counter, I like to hang my umbrella off it and if it had a squarer rubberised or textured end it would cling a lot more steadily. Also, a square handle would make it easier to lean against walls.

Also it should double as a gun or sword depending on the laws of your locality.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m_wave
what brand is the far right? It looks much slimmer than the other two..
The one on the right is a Fox. But bear in mind, the other two are stick-through umbrellas, which are naturally bulky. The Fox is a tube, so it's much slimmer.
Originally Posted by robin
One of the first times I carried my Brigg, it was in a terrible, windy storm. The guy in front of me had his umbrella turn inside out, like in a cartoon, and he had to carry it over his head like a teacup saucer. First time I'd seen it happen in real life. My Brigg was fine, though during the particularly strong gusts, I was worried the wind might wrench it from my hands. If extremely high winds are a concern, a ventilated umbrella might be more manageable.
Originally Posted by yfyf
This may sound like blasphemy but aren't the nice umbrellas also very heavy? I toted a friend's Brigg for a while and between that and my bag with laptop, papers, camera, my shoulders were in quite a bit of pain at the end of the day.
I don't find them particularly heavy, but I usually travel pretty light. No laptop, briefcase, etc. When carried on their own, they're a pleasure. They make a terrific walking stick.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brigg don't make them anymore but I'm certain that there's an artisan somewhere who can accommodate this request. It'll take playboys and some fortune to finance such artisan but one is out there somewhere.

Also it should double as a gun or sword depending on the laws of your locality.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My Brigg is the lightest of the ones I own, even though it is a stick umbrella. The Black Fleece is the heaviest due to its flannel canopy and large size.

Aluan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
One of the first times I carried my Brigg, it was in a terrible, windy storm. The guy in front of me had his umbrella turn inside out, like in a cartoon, and he had to carry it over his head like a teacup saucer. First time I'd seen it happen in real life. My Brigg was fine, though during the particularly strong gusts, I was worried the wind might wrench it from my hands. If extremely high winds are a concern, a ventilated umbrella might be more manageable.
Do you think it's possible to actually fly in a strong wind with the right umbrella, like Mary Poppins? Not that anyone would want to on purpose, but I'm kind of worried about it happening and where I might end up.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2234536449_132b74149d_b.jpg

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
amerika, I like the canopy. From what I can see it seems to have a very nice design. What's the canopy made out of?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads