• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Rubinacci Thread.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
I want to see Rubinacci and its specialty drape and sleevehead (for I am shopping for a tailor myself) but the circle jerking action is blinding. So here's a question for you brand/tailor obsessed people who spent thousands on bespoke clothing: a pad on the back for the new bespoke clothing or a reality check to see what has gone wrong?
Great. Another self-proclaimed non-expert expert who wants to show everyone else the light. Hallelujah! Please -- tell us all what we should wear and how we can look just as good as you do...
And just a reminder, here's what I said before about your Rubinacci jacket: the silhouette is counterproductive to your imperfect body features, accentuates your large head and lack of height. And while the jacket looks too small at front (which adds to your head size), it creates a grossly wide backside.
deadhorse-a.gif
You spent the money and seems to be happy on the results, so here's some golfclap for you.
nest.gif
But the sloped and slightly concave shoulders adds bulk to your upper body alongside with the wide upper sleeves and slightly long skirts. Overall your jacket made you look shorter and bulkier.

I'm having deja vu... This is starting to remind me of the Saville Row thread a little while back. What I find so exceptionally rude about your comments is the fact that so many of the members who do muster up the courage to post pictures of their bespoken clothing do so at no small emotional risk to themselves. Taken in that light, I think it is only polite to try and offer up your criticism in as diplomatic a way as possible. Granted, you don't have to like the garments they show us. You could have just said "Well, this isn't for me..." or "I don't quite like the cut of that Rubinacci", etc. Of course, being the sensitive soul that you are, you have to barrel in with both guns firing, and oh yes, I'll just add a kick in the nuts there for good measure... Well, cowboy, you aren't making any friends today.
plain.gif

brescd01

Reaction score
Where were you 4 years ago when I posted pictures of myself, I can easily say my clothing and taste was not even close to that in this thread? No matter, the wounds have healed.

Vitaminc is right however, to my eye, losing weight and getting fit will trump bespoke clothing every time in terms of aesthetic effect. That does not make the clothing in this thread less wonderful, and besides, the two victims who posted pictures of themselves look pretty fit to me.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
so many of the members who do muster up the courage to post pictures of their bespoken clothing do so at no small emotional risk to themselves
It's probably smaller than you think.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the effort to put words in my mouth. I don't like your Rubinacci nor Mafoofan's and Rubinacci is not the one to blame. I don't specialize in circle jerking action or singing praises either.

Don't think being a bespoke customer over a diet plan to cut my weight by 1/3 would be a smart choice...

From boorish to incomprehensible in one post; you're an internet superstar.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So here's a question for you brand/tailor obsessed people who spent thousands on bespoke clothing: a pad on the back for the new bespoke clothing or a reality check to see what has gone wrong?

And just a reminder, here's what I said before about your Rubinacci jacket: the silhouette is counterproductive to your imperfect body features, accentuates your large head and lack of height. And while the jacket looks too small at front (which adds to your head size), it creates a grossly wide backside.
deadhorse-a.gif

Of course, I'd rather have honest, thoughful input than automatic congratulations. The problem is that your input doesn't seem well-informed or even intelligible. You don't have to like Rubinacci, but you're really hitting your head against the wall by constantly criticizing Rubinacci clothing for not correcting a client's physical idiosyncrasies. Why don't you try to study the photos in this thread to learn what the Rubinacci approach to tailoring is all about. When you get that, your critique might become more useful and relevant.

But the sloped and slightly concave shoulders adds bulk to your upper body alongside with the wide upper sleeves and slightly long skirts. Overall your jacket made you look shorter and bulkier.

I don't see anything about whnay's jacket that makes him look "shorter and bulkier."

Originally Posted by iammatt
The criticism of mafoofan's jackets has been done ad infinitum . . .

He knows, he was both a witness and an accomplice to the breaking of my spirit
smile.gif

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Of course, I'd rather have honest, thoughful input than automatic congratulations. The problem is that your input doesn't seem well-informed or even intelligible. You don't have to like Rubinacci, but you're really hitting your head against the wall by constantly criticizing Rubinacci clothing for not correcting a client's physical idiosyncrasies. Why don't you try to study the photos in this thread to learn what the Rubinacci approach to tailoring is all about. When you get that, your critique might become more useful and relevant.

It doesn't take a scratch golfer to appreciate Tiger Woods' skill and it certainly doesn't take a master tailor to judge someone's appearance. Besides, I have made it clear that it is not Rubinacci's clothing not correcting clients physiques but the clients choice themselves, for pictures posted in this thread are bespoke. I would not blame the conductors and orchestras for a piece of score that could use more work.

Originally Posted by mafoofan
I don't see anything about whnay's jacket that makes him look "shorter and bulkier."

Well, I apologize first on my MS Paint skill (no photochop installed), but here it is:

My reasoning being that,

1. The head is distanced from his upper torso line, which is formed by jacket shoulders and the peak lapel (gorge?). That space has been filled with a slope/natural shoulder line which enhanced the appearance of the back muscle and created a image of a overly bulky back.

2. The proportion of his jackets (shoulder line to skirt) to pants (skirt to bottom of cuffs) yields an visual illusion of shorter legs. I think it could be easily fixed by shortening the skirt by 1-2" proximately, adding some height visually. Maybe this was caused by camera angle, I don't know.

I'm having deja vu... This is starting to remind me of the Saville Row thread a little while back. What I find so exceptionally rude about your comments is the fact that so many of the members who do muster up the courage to post pictures of their bespoken clothing do so at no small emotional risk to themselves.

I would be happy to post my clothing efforts after I successfully executed on my diet plan (4 months estimate, from current 205 to 170), without showing my fugly face. Harsh criticisms will be more welcomed than compliments; I rather know wtf went wrong so I can improve next time.

Taken in that light, I think it is only polite to try and offer up your criticism in as diplomatic a way as possible. Granted, you don't have to like the garments they show us. You could have just said "Well, this isn't for me..." or "I don't quite like the cut of that Rubinacci", etc. Of course, being the sensitive soul that you are, you have to barrel in with both guns firing, and oh yes, I'll just add a kick in the nuts there for good measure... Well, cowboy, you aren't making any friends today.
plain.gif

Thank you for the advice. I need to learn and improve my language skills without compromising my honesty.

Friendships build upon diplomatic skills and white lies aren't sustainable, but that just IMO.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. The head is distanced from his upper torso line, which is formed by jacket shoulders and the peak lapel (gorge?). That space has been filled with a slope/natural shoulder line which enhanced the appearance of the back muscle and created a image of a overly bulky back.

2. The proportion of his jackets (shoulder line to skirt) to pants (skirt to bottom of cuffs) yields an visual illusion of shorter legs. I think it could be easily fixed by shortening the skirt by 1-2" proximately, adding some height visually. Maybe this was caused by camera angle, I don't know.

Result of wide angle lens positioned close to subject. God Himself would appear to have an oversized head and stubby legs if He were photograhped in this manner, wearing a suit handwoven by a thousand angels with ten thousand tiny little fingers. I cannot take seriously any critique of proportion based on such a photograph.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bird's One View
Result of wide angle lens positioned close to subject. God Himself would appear to have an oversized head and stubby legs if He were photograhped in this manner, wearing a suit handwoven by a thousand angels with ten thousand tiny little fingers. I cannot take seriously any critique of proportion based on such a photograph.

You mean how his head, torso and legs are visually severed (same case as Mafoofan) purely due to camera effects such as this?

dh1.jpg

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bird's One View
a suit handwoven by a thousand angels with ten thousand tiny little fingers.
Are we talkin' Italian angels?
mwink[1].gif

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You often make ridiculous comments. Take that for what it's worth.
It doesn't take a scratch golfer to appreciate Tiger Woods' skill and it certainly doesn't take a master tailor to judge someone's appearance. Besides, I have made it clear that it is not Rubinacci's clothing not correcting clients physiques but the clients choice themselves, for pictures posted in this thread are bespoke. I would not blame the conductors and orchestras for a piece of score that could use more work. Well, I apologize first on my MS Paint skill (no photochop installed), but here it is: My reasoning being that, 1. The head is distanced from his upper torso line, which is formed by jacket shoulders and the peak lapel (gorge?). That space has been filled with a slope/natural shoulder line which enhanced the appearance of the back muscle and created a image of a overly bulky back. 2. The proportion of his jackets (shoulder line to skirt) to pants (skirt to bottom of cuffs) yields an visual illusion of shorter legs. I think it could be easily fixed by shortening the skirt by 1-2" proximately, adding some height visually. Maybe this was caused by camera angle, I don't know. I would be happy to post my clothing efforts after I successfully executed on my diet plan (4 months estimate, from current 205 to 170), without showing my fugly face. Harsh criticisms will be more welcomed than compliments; I rather know wtf went wrong so I can improve next time. Thank you for the advice. I need to learn and improve my language skills without compromising my honesty. Friendships build upon diplomatic skills and white lies aren't sustainable, but that just IMO.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
You often make ridiculous comments. Take that for what it's worth.

+1

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It doesn't take a scratch golfer to appreciate Tiger Woods' skill and it certainly doesn't take a master tailor to judge someone's appearance. Besides, I have made it clear that it is not Rubinacci's clothing not correcting clients physiques but the clients choice themselves, for pictures posted in this thread are bespoke. I would not blame the conductors and orchestras for a piece of score that could use more work.

Well, I apologize first on my MS Paint skill (no photochop installed), but here it is:

My reasoning being that,

I would be happy to post my clothing efforts after I successfully executed on my diet plan (4 months estimate, from current 205 to 170), without showing my fugly face. Harsh criticisms will be more welcomed than compliments; I rather know wtf went wrong so I can improve next time.

Thank you for the advice. I need to learn and improve my language skills without compromising my honesty.

Friendships build upon diplomatic skills and white lies aren't sustainable, but that just IMO.

Like Michael Jordan?

Also, no offense, but there's something extremely ironic about a man not content with his own physical shape being so obssessed with the "golden ratio"...

EasyGoing

Reaction score
Despite the recent trainwreck, this thread is the final straw for me. I'll be planning a trip to Naples early next year. All four customers look terrific IMO and I can wait to get in on the party.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Stages of this thread:

Past - Thoughtful, insightful
Present - Contentious, argumentative yet civil
Future - Clusterfuck

Wow, good call. Do you have any stock tips you'd care to share?
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads