• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Must Be Nice to Be a Lakers Fan

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
Crap - as a Suns fan this sucks.

Yup. And---not to get too ahead of ourselves here, because there are always chemistry issues to sort out on the court---the Spurs and Mavs have to be a little worried.

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
...Turiaf is a great role player on a good team. He's a good shot blocker, good shooter and a super high enery guy on both ends, plus he 's the best cheerleader in the league since Mark Madsen.

Yeah, I've been really impressed with how good Turiaf ended up being. Not only a very positive influence but also an actual player who can brings intensity, defends, and sticks the open midrange jumper. Not like Mark Madsen, who I loved but really at times seemed like a human victory cigar.

I guess Kup's not such a bad GM after all, eh? But I knew things were going well when he drafted Walton in the second years ago and especially when he refused to budge on Bynum.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
He definitely can draft. Farmar, Walton, Crittendon, Turiaf...even Sasha Vujacik is a nice player.

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
He definitely can draft. Farmar, Walton, Crittendon, Turiaf...even Sasha Vujacik is a nice player.

Yeah--I keep forgetting about Sasha
biggrin.gif

Kup just got a bad rep because he was following in West's shoes, but I honestly haven't been this excited about the Lakers since Phil Jackson came.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 76classic
Seems like Portland would get the short end of the stick on that one.

Harris/Jack is a wash, imo. Does seem a bit strange that they would want to mess with the chemistry of the team when they're playing so well, though.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
Harris/Jack is a wash, imo. Does seem a bit strange that they would want to mess with the chemistry of the team when they're playing so well, though.

Harris is a definite upgrade over Jarret Jack. I don't think I'd give up Frye and/or Outlaw as well for him, though, and I wouldn't mess with the chemistry either.

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you look at the standings, you'll see that Portland has actually fallen to the ninth seed in the West. Utah's the team with the hot hand now, having won nine of their last ten.

I don't think Portland will make the playoffs this year. Spots one through five in the West are pretty much locked up, and so you have Utah, Denver, Houston, and Golden State, and Portland fighting over the last three spots. Even then I'm being generous, as I don't really see Utah or Denver not making it, which leaves it a three-way race for the eighth seed. Portland is easily the worst of these teams, and I don't think there will be more thirteen-win teams to save them.

Devin Harris would be a definite upgrade over Jack. Most importantly, it would allow Brandon Roy to slide over to his natural two-guard position. So for the couple of years, the Blazer starting five would (theoretically) be Harris, Roy, Webster, Aldridge, and Oden. Sounds pretty good to me, especially since Kevin Pritchard has shown a knack for drafting talent, which pretty much ensures that whatever bench depth that would be lost from making this trade will be replenished.

Now, the team for whom this trade doesn't make any sense is Dallas. Keep in mind that this is a team coming off of a 67-win season last year and in fact (IMO) would have beaten any team in the league last year except for Golden State (and maybe Detroit, strangely enough, but that's mainly because of Rasheed Wallace). Golden State was able to win because of a very strange style of play and because Don Nelson was the coach. Period. Dallas just ran into a silver bullet last year. Bad luck. So if you look at Dallas's nucleus--Dirk, Josh Howard, and Devin Harris--and think about that with regard to Cuban's willingness to spend money and management's insight and good work, this team should be in contention for the foreseeable future. But if the Mavs were to trade for Kidd, well--he's 35 and has had microfracture surgery. That's a red flag to me right there. It's true that he seems ageless, playing at an incredibly high level at that age, but how much longer can it last? Two more years tops? And what does he bring to the table there? Keep in mind that he's primarily a fast-break point guard and that Dallas's supporting cast is built for halfcourt offenses (Stackhouse, Eddie Jones, Devean George, Dampier, Diop, Brandon Bass). So while Kidd is obviously great, I just don't think he is a great fit in Dallas.

On a related note, remember when Detroit won 64 games two years ago and then suddenly lost to Miami in the conference finals? There was a lot of clamor then, too, for Dumars to do something drastic, but he resisted those pleas. Detroit's still in contention; I think they're the best team in the East.

(One place where he would be a great fit is Orlando, but how the hell would that happen?)

As for the Nets, well, I think they are SOL. They get what they deserve, though--treating Byron Scott the way they did, rewarding Vince Carter with a bajillion-dollar extension, and being convinced that they could win a title building on the small side of the ball. It'll be interesting to see whether anyone overpays for Kidd.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very cogent analysis; at this point I'm definitely giving Pritch the benefit of the doubt when it comes to assembling talent (plus he's a KU guy)
teacha.gif

They should be scary next season if Oden is even half as good as advertised.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
At this point I'm wondering if Oden will be as good as Bynum. I think Bynum is bigger and has better offensive skills, though I wonder if I've ever seen the real Oden considering his wrist injury at OSU.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilliewalkerg