• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Must Be Nice to Be a Lakers Fan

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Los Angeles Lakers acquire Pau Gasol from the Memphis Grizzlies in exchange for Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittenton, and two first-round draft picks (2008 and 2010).

Luckily, I'm a Lakers fan.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kwame Brown can return to throwing birthday cakes in Memphis, apparently.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Brown will rival Jim Jackson in terms of teams played for, when all's said and done.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My response to seeing this on espn.com a few minutes ago: WOOOO HOOOOO!!!

Kwame is such a sad excuse for a player. He can't catch the ball and he can't finish half the time when he has the ball under the basket, though he is a solid post defender against the likes of Duncan. Crittendon will he a solid player but he's no Farmar. When Bynum is back, this is a sick team, and Odom can settle into being a rebounder and the 4th scoring option, which probably suits him fine.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kobe vs. Lebron in the Finals?
(There are rampant Jason Kidd to Cleveland rumours)

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This trade almost makes up for trading Caron Butler for Kwame.
devil.gif

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
biggrin.gif

fing02[1].gif

cheers.gif

First time they actually tried in ages. Contention here we come!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think Kidd to Cleveland makes sense. Who will Cleveland give up that the Nets want? No expiring contracts, no talent. The Cavs are in a bit of a quagmire mobility-wise, I think. And besides, as good as LeBron is, the Cavs can't deal with the frontline of the good teams in the East (Detroit, Boston, and Orlando, in that order), who are all stacked on the front.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landho
I don't think Kidd to Cleveland makes sense. Who will Cleveland give up that the Nets want? No expiring contracts, no talent. The Cavs are in a bit of a quagmire mobility-wise, I think. And besides, as good as LeBron is, the Cavs can't deal with the frontline of the good teams in the East (Detroit, Boston, and Orlando, in that order), who are all stacked on the front.

I had the same reaction; the only viable trade commodity they have basically is either Ilgauskaus or Gooden.

76classic

Reaction score
As shaky as the West is with no clear cut front runner, the Lakers are definitely going to be in the mix. With no Bynum and an upcoming 9 game road trip, it wasn't looking good. Gasol helps a lot.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Latest hot rumour has J. Kidd going back to Dallas in a 3 way deal with the Nets and Blazers.

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 76classic
As shaky as the West is with no clear cut front runner, the Lakers are definitely going to be in the mix. With no Bynum and an upcoming 9 game road trip, it wasn't looking good. Gasol helps a lot.

Lakers were definitely in the mix before Bynum went down. (At that time, they had the best record in the conference.) Gasol allows the Lakers to weather the storm (and in fact make up ground) while Bynum's out, but once Bynum comes back, they will have the best starting lineup in basketball, bar none. (This includes the Celtics and also the Pistons, Suns, and Mavs.)

Also keep in mind that the Lakers have the second-highest scoring bench in the league.* Ultimately, and something that's largely been overlooked, one of the best things about this trade is that Walton can move to the bench; he's a smart, savvy player who can hit an open jumper and make smart passes, but really you don't want him starting, especially at the wing in the dangerous West. (That's why Ariza's injury was so costly as now athletic wing players could expose Walton's defensive deficiencies; he's heady, but he's simply not quick or strong enough to deal with the likes of Josh Howard, McGrady, etc.) On Bynum's return, the Lakers' bench will be Farmar, Ariza (once healthy), Turiaf, Walton, and Mihm (once healthy)--an incredible mix.

Kwame was actually a pretty good defender off the bench, able to deal with the likes of Duncan, Boozer, etc., but once/if Mihm comes back, this shouldn't be too big of a loss.

*The Spurs have the highest-scoring bench, but with Ginobili scoring almost 20 a night, the true depth of the Spurs' bench is obfuscated.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy ****, what a move. The Lakers are going to be legit contenders for the next few years. Actually not a bad move for Memphis either. Kwame is nothing but expiring contract space. But two first round picks could mean something.

New Lakers starting 5-Fisher (to be replaced by Farmar next year), Kobe, Odom, Gasol, Bynum (when healthy). That's pretty solid even in the West, and they were a damn good team before Bynum got hurt anyway. I can't believe the Lakers look like this now considering the prospects when the year started. Gasol is even a great fit for the triangle considering he's a pretty good passer.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I went to a game with a buddy earlier this month - floor seats at Staples against the Bucks. It was incredible - I'd never sat so close before. We were right next to Jeannie Buss and a few seats away from Pat Sajak and Norm Nixon.

Bynum looked so good in person. He went for like 26 and 17 that night (last game before the injury) and he has great hands, quick ups and a very good idea of the offense. He also has great body language - he really comes across as a smart and respectful kid. I could see him being the focal point of that team within 2 years as Kobe starts to show some age. Also, it's been aluded to in this thread, but Farmar is a stud, and Turiaf is a great role player on a good team. He's a good shot blocker, good shooter and a super high enery guy on both ends, plus he 's the best cheerleader in the league since Mark Madsen.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landho
Los Angeles Lakers acquire Pau Gasol from the Memphis Grizzlies in exchange for Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittenton, and two first-round draft picks (2008 and 2010).

Luckily, I'm a Lakers fan.

hahaha, this is so awesome. i hated kwame brown anyways, why not kwame and lamar?

oh well, you cant get everything you want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads