• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone still follow the NBA?

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rockets are my dark-horse team as well now that they're finally healthy again (30-10 record with both Yao and Mcgrady in the lineup).

koji

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Rockets are my dark-horse team as well now that they're finally healthy again (30-10 record with both Yao and Mcgrady in the lineup).
Dark?

Try invisible...

And yes, I will EAT my words if proved otherwise.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree on the skill level of many of todays players. Most just don't get team.

Here's my 12:

C- Russell
C- Wilt
C- Kareem
C- Shaq

F- Dr. J
F- Worthy
F- McHale
F- The Hawk

G- The Big O
G- Magic
G- Isaih
G- Reggie Miller

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
I disagree on the skill level of many of todays players. Most just don't get team.

Here's my 12:

C- Russell
C- Wilt
C- Kareem
C- Shaq

F- Dr. J
F- Worthy
F- McHale
F- The Hawk

G- The Big O
G- Magic
G- Isaih
G- Reggie Miller

You're missing some guy named Jordan. I think when it's all said and done, players such as Lebron, Wade, Kobe, Duncan, Nowitzki, Stoudamire, Howard and Nash will all be spoken of in as reverent tones.

koji

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
I just found it a rather amusing criticism considering the refs in other sports (namely soccer) are far more egregious.

koji

egregious how? when a soccer referee makes a mistake he is given hell by tons of fans, coaches, press, etc... they even require heavy security.

when an nba ref makes up a foul that doesn't exist, it's considered part of the game.

--they call/don't call fouls on players depending on the popularity and status of the player.
--they call fouls depending on how much time is left on the clock. if there are two seconds left, they won't call a foul even if someone is murdered.
--they call fouls they do not see. not calling a foul that occurred is a human error and is unavoidable. however, calling something that did not happen is completely unacceptable.
--there is nothing in the rules that says "if a defender jumps in the air, and the offensive player jumps into him, it is a foul on the defender." the defender has the right to the space he is standing on AND the space above him. so long as he jumps straight up, there is no foul, yet nba refs choose to call a foul anytime the defender jumps and the offensive player initiates contact. nonsense.

i'm not a big football fan, but i think american football has the best referees of any sport i've seen. very rarely do you see a mistake. when they miss a call, they miss it. it happens. but they never call fouls that don't exist. and they don't give preferential treatment to star players. if a star player commits a foul they call it. they don't 'give him the call' because he is a star.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
egregious how? when a soccer referee makes a mistake he is given hell by tons of fans, coaches, press, etc... they even require heavy security.

when an nba ref makes up a foul that doesn't exist, it's considered part of the game.

--they call/don't call fouls on players depending on the popularity and status of the player.
--they call fouls depending on how much time is left on the clock. if there are two seconds left, they won't call a foul even if someone is murdered.
--they call fouls they do not see. not calling a foul that occurred is a human error and is unavoidable. however, calling something that did not happen is completely unacceptable.
--there is nothing in the rules that says "if a defender jumps in the air, and the offensive player jumps into him, it is a foul on the defender." the defender has the right to the space he is standing on AND the space above him. so long as he jumps straight up, there is no foul, yet nba refs choose to call a foul anytime the defender jumps and the offensive player initiates contact. nonsense.

i'm not a big football fan, but i think american football has the best referees of any sport i've seen. very rarely do you see a mistake. when they miss a call, they miss it. it happens. but they never call fouls that don't exist. and they don't give preferential treatment to star players. if a star player commits a foul they call it. they don't 'give him the call' because he is a star.

All valid points (and I completely agree with respect to the NFL--plus they have replay), but the players pretty much know going in what they can get away with with regards to certain referees, so that it all pretty much evens out by the end of the day. And you saw how Crawford was dealt with most recently with the situation with Tim Duncan.
I feel sorry for soccer refs (aside from all the alledged pay-offs, of course)--how can you tell when there's an honest foul on a tackle from the fake ones when the players seem to writhe around in agony either way?

koji

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All valid points (and I completely agree with respect to the NFL--plus they have replay), but the players pretty much know going in what they can get away with with regards to certain referees, so that it all pretty much evens out by the end of the day. And you saw how Crawford was dealt with most recently with the situation with Tim Duncan.
I feel sorry for soccer refs (aside from all the alledged pay-offs, of course)--how can you tell when there's an honest foul on a tackle from the fake ones when the players seem to writhe around in agony either way?

koji

very simple. the action (foul) is not judged on the outcome (whether or not someone is injured). the action itself is either a foul or not. it is illegal to slide in from behind. it is illegal to slide in with your cleats up, regardless of the angle you take. these are both causes for a red card regardless of whether or not you actually hit the other guy and whether or not the other guy gets injured.

if i slide in, cleats first, from behind, i deserve a red card, even if i never touch the other guy. that simple. it's like throwing a punch that doesn't land. it's an ejection either way.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
very simple. the action (foul) is not judged on the outcome (whether or not someone is injured). the action itself is either a foul or not. it is illegal to slide in from behind. it is illegal to slide in with your cleats up, regardless of the angle you take. these are both causes for a red card regardless of whether or not you actually hit the other guy and whether or not the other guy gets injured.

if i slide in, cleats first, from behind, i deserve a red card, even if i never touch the other guy. that simple. it's like throwing a punch that doesn't land. it's an ejection either way.

Well, perhaps you can explain the phantom call in the Italy vs Australia game from the last World Cup?
plain.gif

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always liked the NBA. My favorite era is Showtime. And, since the Lakers will be gone after 6 games in the POs, I won't be interested in them. Next year, they will be much better and I will enjoy the season much more.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
Well, perhaps you can explain the phantom call in the Italy vs Australia game from the last World Cup?
plain.gif

it looked like a foul to me. the australian slid in, missed the ball, and tripped the italian.

whenever you slide and miss you are asking for a foul, because even if you don't touch the other player (say he jumps over you) you have put yourself in a position to be called for obstruction, and deservedly so.

the first 10 times i saw that play it was a clear penalty. afterward, i saw a different angle on youtube and it did appear the italian dove. it was a tough call.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bachbeet
I've always liked the NBA. My favorite era is Showtime. And, since the Lakers will be gone after 6 games in the POs, I won't be interested in them. Next year, they will be much better and I will enjoy the season much more.

Rumours are flying that KG is headed your way next year.

koji

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very clearly stated, however I very often see calls made seemingly on the severity of the writhing afterwards which is quite amusing.

koji

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very clearly stated, however I very often see calls made seemingly on the severity of the writhing afterwards which is quite amusing.

koji

yes, well, there are plenty of bad refs all over the world. but something about the referees in the nba seems much much worse to me. especially when the fans, coaches, and announcers have accepted that the refs can just make up their own rules.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, well, there are plenty of bad refs all over the world. but something about the referees in the nba seems much much worse to me. especially when the fans, coaches, and announcers have accepted that the refs can just make up their own rules.

It's true; they do seem to control the flow of the game more than in other sports.

koji

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member