• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
Totally. Thank you very much for the help, and I agree they won't be in regular rotation due to their limitations.

Thanks Mike. I'll give it a whirl at some point.

Thanks Pete!

And now I know.

I bought a very similar pair this weekend. Mine are a true POW, since they have a light blue overcheck. I plan on wearing them with blue blazers, both SB and DB and my light blue cashmere SP sportcoat. We will see how it works out. Mine are linen and silk, so they are more geared towards summer use. Also, mie are Polo as well.

Check WAYWRN within a couple and we will see if mine work or not.
lol8[1].gif

Mike

officeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
yes this can be taken care of by a tailor. the back must be shortened at the top.
avoid the nice lady at the cleaners.

Thanks, and yes I try to avoid the cleaners even for cleaning...

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Knisse
Anyone know if this Mont Blanc wallet also has room for Credit cards, the seller has written

"Interior Organization: 2 hidden pockets + 1 bank note section, rings for 6 keys
Dimensions: 7 x 10.5 cm"

But he has disabled receiving messages, and Mont Blanc has not replied to my Email yet.

I don't own the Mont Blanc version, but I do own a similar model. There might be room for one or two credit cards, but I would not count on it to take the place of a wallet.

officeboy

Reaction score
And another question.

This suit is on the way, and assuming it fits well and I keep it, the wood buttons have to go. Suggestions? Tan/light brown seems like an obvious replacement keeping with the color that was originally provided. But my gut says to stick with a dark or light grey button to keep things very neutral.
Also any suggestions on where to get buttons? I was in a fabric store this weekend but the button stock there was pretty bad for suit type buttons, searching here people have suggested mjtrim.com but I'm not seeming much there. Really only this

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at buying some Grenson for Barney's...$37.70 shipped. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? Looks like a great deal, and I've heard good things about Grenson but I'm not aware if the stuff "for Barney's" isn't well made. Thoughts on this?
DSC_0627.jpg
DSC_0638.jpg
DSC_0636.jpg

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by officeboy
And another question.

This suit is on the way, and assuming it fits well and I keep it, the wood buttons have to go. Suggestions? Tan/light brown seems like an obvious replacement keeping with the color that was originally provided. But my gut says to stick with a dark or light grey button to keep things very neutral.
Also any suggestions on where to get buttons? I was in a fabric store this weekend but the button stock there was pretty bad for suit type buttons, searching here people have suggested mjtrim.com but I'm not seeming much there. Really only this

hope the suit thats delivered fits a bit looser.
if your"location" shows the city, someone might locate a button source for you.

officeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
hope the suit thats delivered fits a bit looser.
if your"location" shows the city, someone might locate a button source for you.

Bellingham WA. And there isn't anything around here (the fabric store I went to was jo-ann's). I might go up to Vancouver for something.

Miha28

Reaction score
I'm currently staying in Korea. Found few local tailors here and was thinking about getting few shirts made (and perhaps a suit). What are the details that I should have in mind/tell the tailor so the shirt would fit good?

Archivist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Otacon238
Hey, I've just turned 20 and am looking to start updating my wardrobe in order to make it more respectable. Initially focusing on shoes, I would like to buy 2 or 3 pairs with a very modest budget of up to around £80 which is making the process a tad more difficult. As a newbie I'm not sure what styles/brands to go for but I've seen these which I like.

http://www.kurtgeiger.com/online-shop/175491-kg-tavi

http://www.asos.com/H-By-Hudson/H-By...rt=-1&clr=Grey

Any Input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Don't. Those are not good.

Instead, spend a bit more, buy a bit less, and build up a shoe rotation over time. Look at http://www.pediwear.co.uk/ and see what sort of shoe you like, get one pair to start. Instead of budgeting £80 a pair for 3 pair, budget £160 to £200 for 1 pair of decent shoes, and then add a pair down the line. Get some shoe trees, polish them and take care of them, much better investment.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What the hell am I supposed to do with this $25 Macy's gift card I got for my birthday?

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5517025957_0e6f3cff92.jpg

Is there a name for the styling of this sole? The particular part where the sole has a layer of different material/color to it. I like the look but I wasn't sure the proper word for it.

Yorsch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by officeboy
And another question. This suit is on the way, and assuming it fits well and I keep it, the wood buttons have to go. Suggestions? Tan/light brown seems like an obvious replacement keeping with the color that was originally provided. But my gut says to stick with a dark or light grey button to keep things very neutral. Also any suggestions on where to get buttons? I was in a fabric store this weekend but the button stock there was pretty bad for suit type buttons, searching here people have suggested mjtrim.com but I'm not seeming much there. Really only this
If this your basic Grey, then I would recommend neutral colour button. It will be easier to match with black or brown, or any other colour shoes/belt you are wearing. Also, it seems from picture that pants are fairly slim, which is very good. However please consider that the bottom part of pant is narrower, and it would rest on your shoes higher than traditional wider leg pant. This will create lots of "curtain" action. To avoid that, I would recommend to do fittings only with the shoes on (preferably your regular style), and hem them slightly shorter than traditional pants so you would have no more than single break.

kellgy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yorsch
If this your basic Grey, then I would recommend neutral colour button.
It will be easier to match with black or brown, or any other colour shoes/belt you are wearing.

Also, it seems from picture that pants are fairly slim, which is very good. However please consider that the bottom part of pant is narrower, and it would rest on your shoes higher than traditional wider leg pant. This will create lots of "curtain" action. To avoid that, I would recommend to do fittings only with the shoes on (preferably your regular style), and hem them slightly shorter than traditional pants so you would have no more than single break.

Great advice and I think I just learned what a single break is . . . is it when your pants "fold" just once from resting on your shoes?

Yorsch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kellgy
Great advice and I think I just learned what a single break is . . . is it when your pants "fold" just once from resting on your shoes?

That's correct. To avoid extremes I usually recommend somewhere in between from "no break" to "single break" depending on personal preference/shoe style/look/etc.

kellgy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yorsch
That's correct. To avoid extremes I usually recommend somewhere in between from "no break" to "single break" depending on personal preference/shoe style/look/etc.
Now I have something new to watch for while trying on pants. Thanks.
happy.gif

I Just picked up a pair of summer wool trousers and will reassess their fall.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchaslimprix