• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

cowsareforeating

Reaction score
i am going to be honest and say that I am not a fan of naked and famous... the denim quality feels like paper to me.

i'd say save up a bit more and try to get some flat heads. They're not especially stiff but they fade fast and gorgeously. Other recommendation would be pbj's. their slubby denim fades well and they have some more eclectic styles i think its the xx-011's that have purple weft...
both the above brands have many many cuts that you can choose from and the denim quality is top notch and are a big step up from n&f

vaalbara

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ike
Gilt has been running a cotton bomber from Trovata for under $100 for a while in a charcoal-black and in a rusty orange color. Might be a good starting point, if you're into Trovata's style (which I personally am). It's classic with a little twist and is fully lined.

do you have any idea how warm that jacket is?

Koaxke

Reaction score
Alright, so I'm finally trying to develop a bit of fashion after wearing just whatever for the past few years. I have a decently skinny build (I normally wear a size 30 waist) and am pretty white if that factors into fashion at all. The shoes are the only thing that are decent in my opinion (although I could be completely wrong), so I guess I'll go from there. Here are the shoes that I'm currently wearing.

http://www.amazon.com/PUMA-Mens-Drif...=pd_sbs_shoe_7

I've been toying with the idea of getting some APCs, or something similar that would hopefully be under $150 for some time now, so what do you guys think of that? Also, I have absolutely no idea what to do as far as shirts go if I do get a darker pair of jeans like APCs, so does anyone have any recommendations?

cowsareforeating

Reaction score
generic reply:

jack purcells/pf flyers

or save up for common projects.

what are you into? oxfords? flannels? its a lot about personal taste.

nothing wrong with a perfectly fitting white t and raw denim. note: raw denim stains shoes.

thunderthighs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by it's ok ma'
I read on here that Levi's 514 are cut just like 501's except slimmer. How accurate is this?
And what is the "color" or style number design/color of regular, original 501 jeans? I haven't given much of a look, but the last department store I went to look for 514's had a bunch of faded, ugly faux distressed 514's. I was hoping to find 514's that look like original 501's, if you get me
blush.gif
. Help !

Not very accurate based on my recent experience with those models, but it also depends on who you talk to and how long ago they compared the two. The 501 has been ninja revised many times through its life. My impression from trying on many different 501's and 514's over the past couple of months is that they are essentially cut the same except for the rise. The 514 in particular can vary slightly in fit and cut across the different finishes, and it seems that the better ones (i.e. no stupid faux distressing) can only be bought online or from an actual Levi store.

At 6' and 180 lbs I find both to be a little baggy through the legs unless you size down one (or even two) and suffer through a day or two of seat and waist stretching. I am a measured 34 waist but take true to size on shrink-to-fit 501's and 33x32 on 514's.

Koaxke

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prada_Ferragamo
Pumas were/are never fashionable. Good soccer cleats though.

I'm assuming that the black and white Jack Purcell's would be a good idea then since the raw denim would stain other colored shoes?

cowsareforeating

Reaction score
depends if you "like" the stain (you can also put masking tape on the inside of your jeans. or wait till you wash them)

but yes. black where your jeans meat ur shoes helps.

i think hp+ makes some good thermals. (not sure)

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Koaxke
I'm assuming that the black and white Jack Purcell's would be a good idea then since the raw denim would stain other colored shoes?

It doesn't matter. they are purcells. Stains don't hurt them.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
calvinkleinpinstripevel.jpg
Hey there. So I'm currently in the market for a good-looking, velvet pinstripe blazer in either black or brown; to be used primarily for just walking around downtown, darting in and out of bookstores, or on dates, etc. with a nice or not so nice pair of jeans. If there's one that wouldn't feel entirely out of place on a high school or college instructor, that would be a great bonus. Present difficulties: I don't know the difference between a sport coat and a blazer. I can rarely tell what's appropriate for business v. casual attire (in my case, classroom v. casual, I guess). I'm 5'9 and broad-shouldered, so shoulder padding often makes me look short and comical, I think (though I've been told I'm just not used to formal-ish wear). I'm also fifteen pounds overweight, so I detest extra fabric around the middle. Lighter material, sleeker cuts look better on me; I just lack the vocabulary to know what to ask for, apparently. I like the above coat -- Calvin Klein, $50 on eBay. Not my size, though. I'm guess I'm in the market for *any* kind of recommendation, as I routinely see even high-end stuff pop-up in thrift stores, on eBay, etc. for reasonable-ish prices. Also seeking opinions on this kind of look in general! I'm getting real job-y jobs now, so my typical youthful disregard for The Rulez is...fading. Apologies for the long-winded-ness. Advice is appreciated.
wink.gif
(P.S. Why velvet? I find that when you wear it, strange women come up and touch you. This I like...)

Ike

Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
calvinkleinpinstripevel.jpg

Hey there. So I'm currently in the market for a good-looking, velvet pinstripe blazer in either black or brown; to be used primarily for just walking around downtown, darting in and out of bookstores, or on dates, etc. with a nice or not so nice pair of jeans.

If there's one that wouldn't feel entirely out of place on a high school or college instructor, that would be a great bonus.

Present difficulties:

I don't know the difference between a sport coat and a blazer. I can rarely tell what's appropriate for business v. casual attire (in my case, classroom v. casual, I guess).

I'm 5'9 and broad-shouldered, so shoulder padding often makes me look short and comical, I think (though I've been told I'm just not used to formal-ish wear). I'm also fifteen pounds overweight, so I detest extra fabric around the middle. Lighter material, sleeker cuts look better on me; I just lack the vocabulary to know what to ask for, apparently.

I like the above coat -- Calvin Klein, $50 on eBay. Not my size, though. I'm guess I'm in the market for *any* kind of recommendation, as I routinely see even high-end stuff pop-up in thrift stores, on eBay, etc. for reasonable-ish prices.

Also seeking opinions on this kind of look in general! I'm getting real job-y jobs now, so my typical youthful disregard for The Rulez is...fading.

Apologies for the long-winded-ness. Advice is appreciated.
wink.gif

(P.S. Why velvet? I find that when you wear it, strange women come up and touch you. This I like...)

I'd consider velvet pretty passe in about 99% of circumstances - the other 1% involving heads of state. There are other fabrics that also have some texture to them. However, if your primary interest is getting laid and the girls you frequent like velvet, by all means.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm open to all similar fabrics. Just looking for a fun pinstripe jacket with an approximate look and feel; if velvet's going to get me laughed out of a room, I'd definitely prefer to know.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AsleyJaron