• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew Fall/Winter 2010 Discussion

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clarksdb
What is your height and weight and what size do you own the peacoat in? I'm thinking of a small.

Also, should I get the thinsulte (I'm in Toronto, Canada)? Is it better than the BR peacoat?

6.1, around 210. I wear L iin everything J. Crew. The coat isn't especially trim but it's not bulky either. It's about what a real peacoat should look like.

And yes, almost anything is better than a BR peacoat. Go with the J. Crew.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyanAnderson
I have the peacoat in S and I'm 5'9"-10" and 145. It's not that slim, but the XS was way too tight.
Thanks, I think small would fit me well then as I have 10 more lbs. I just hope they have some sort of promotion for it.
Originally Posted by Robert
6.1, around 210. I wear L iin everything J. Crew. The coat isn't especially trim but it's not bulky either. It's about what a real peacoat should look like. And yes, almost anything is better than a BR peacoat. Go with the J. Crew.
Cool thanks...nice signature by the way
smile.gif

Hadrian

Reaction score
Speaking of said J Crew Peacoat, I happened to pick one up on a whim (influenced by a cheap price) and Im pretty happy with it. My stats are 5'10" at 177 lbs for reference.

Size M:

24fa8a9.jpg

Shoulders are snug, but tolerable.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does J Crew ever have 30% or anything + free shipping on regular priced items? I'm not sure if I should wait for the peacoat to go on sale or just get it now (it's gotten cold).

Looks good had...how'd you get it for cheap?

EdenResident

Reaction score
Does J Crew ever have 30% or anything + free shipping on regular priced items? I'm not sure if I should wait for the peacoat to go on sale or just get it now (it's gotten cold).

JCrew almost never offers 30% on regular priced items. When they do, only a selected few will get the coupon.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Looks good, H. Of course, in real life, don't forget to pop the collar, and don't button all the buttons. Seriously. That's the only way to wear a peacoat.

wwp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnowad
What does everyone think of newly released trench coat? Looks nice to me, but seems to be priced way too high...

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/o...1199/31199.jsp

I thought it looked nice from the photos too, so I went to check it out in the store today. It looks fine, but I was horribly disappointed by the quality of the wool. The wool is really thin and flimsy, and was wrinkled in some places, seemingly just from being smashed together with other items on the rack. For that reason alone, it's not worth ~$600.

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wwp
I thought it looked nice from the photos too, so I went to check it out in the store today. It looks fine, but I was horribly disappointed by the quality of the wool. The wool is really thin and flimsy, and was wrinkled in some places, seemingly just from being smashed together with other items on the rack. For that reason alone, it's not worth ~$600.
LOLwut are you sure you weren't looking at one from the factory store? Or maybe they changed it... I have the thinsulate peacoat from FW09 and the wool is thick and supple - certainly not thin or flimsy or wrinkly. Also, the fit is relatively trim in comparison to other JC items (FYI I'm 5'6/130 and wear an XS). EDIT: woops just realized you were referring to that trenchcoat; my bad

MinnesotaNice

Reaction score
Anyone here have experience/thoughts on the J Crew peacoat? I need sizing help (5'11", 155 lbs) and thoughts on the quality, fit of the peacoat.

This is the small on me (5'11, 150 lbs)

wwp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aaaeeeiiiooouuu
LOLwut are you sure you weren't looking at one from the factory store? Or maybe they changed it...

I have the thinsulate peacoat from FW09 and the wool is thick and supple - certainly not thin or flimsy or wrinkly. Also, the fit is relatively trim in comparison to other JC items (FYI I'm 5'6/130 and wear an XS).

EDIT: woops just realized you were referring to that trenchcoat; my bad

No worries
smile.gif

Yea, I was super surprised too. It definitely felt like factory store quality... Considering I was at their new mens store in Manhattan on the Upper East Side, and it costs $600, was expecting at least good FABRIC.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
The coat isn't especially trim but it's not bulky either. It's about what a real peacoat should look like.
No way. It is a much slimmer version. My J Crew Pea Coat in a medium tall is about 5" slimmer in the chest than a Small military surplus I sold last month. The J Crew version is perfect. Any slimmer and it would be unwearable.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MinnesotaNice
This is the small on me (5'11, 150 lbs)

That looks like a really good fit. After people posted their J Crew and Sterlingwear peacoat here I can tell the J Crew definitely is a much slimmer fit so I'm going with the J Crew for sure.

It would be really nice if someone can proxy for me though...I live in Toronto, Canada. Send me a PM if you'd like to help.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LanaBurrell