• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have the AE bug!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
to be sure, looking for a deal requires patience.

but searching quickly I found a new Park Avenue in brown in 9.5D, which you would think would be a highly desirable model.

sold for$98. if you wanted I'm sure you could find a black PA in your size for about half of MSRP.

They're brown, I have zero use for brown cap toes. The only thing I use cap toes for are interviews and I only wear black shoes to interviews.

Kurt N

Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
Men>>Women???

BP>>>180/120!
boxing[1].gif

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Then compare to polo which goes on sale seasonally.

I bought my American made RL penny loafers for $125 - new, they're the same as Cape Cod for Alden.

I dont buy used shoes, sorry. And unfortunately I cant buy just anything, they need to be shoes that are classically styled. I'm not casting a wide net, I want something specific as I dont have the room for a huge shoe wardrobe.

I take care of classics one at a time and AE classics arent as easily had on sale as SF would have you believe.

My optimal shoe rotation is quite simple:

Penny Loafers
Suede tassels
Cordovan Tassels
Cordovan Wingtips
Black Wingtips
Black Plain toes
Black Cap Toes
Brown Punch caps
Suede Chukkas

I'm not sure what you are arguing here. Cape Cod for Alden isn't made to the same standards as most Aldens, so for $125 they are a fine deal but it's not like you really got Aldens for $125. if you can find the standard issue Alden wingtips, plain toes, anything cordovan, or punch caps on deep discount, then good for you. but its a whole lot easier to find the AE equivalents on sale.

seppe

Reaction score
If you know what style you want call the freeport store before you go. The guy that works there is very nice and he will do his best to get you what you are looking for if he does not have them in stock. Check out the Seven line; they are a bit nicer and can be had at a discount too.
I had the AE bug once, but found the cure; I bought a pair of Aldens.
I liked the advice of a previous post: enjoy your purchases but maybe take a breath before buying too many. You will want some variety

Patek14

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
I agree with you in theory, but in praxis, AE shoes are so readily and ubiquitously available at discount that their MSRP is almost unheard of. Sort of like JAB; the items are perpetually on sale.

While it's true that you can find the occasional pair of Aldens on discount via eBay or B&S, the frequency of new and unworn Aldens in any particular size is much, much less than the frequency/availability of AEs. So for all intents and purposes, the Alden-at-full-price vs. AE-on-discount argument has some merit.

Where can I find some merlot park aves on heavy discount? I've been looking for quite some time and have thus far turned up very dry...

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek14
Where can I find some merlot park aves on heavy discount? I've been looking for quite some time and have thus far turned up very dry...
Something I realized after starting to purchase nice shoes is that as your taste begins to dictate more and more specificity, you'll need to accept prices approaching retail. I don't even have that many shoes and I've already accepted that fact. My first pair of "nice" shoes were slightly used AE McClains in chilli. After that I didn't want used shoes because I wanted the footbed to form to my feet. Then I began to put in more and more requirements and the prices subsequently went up. One thing though, the shoes I like the most are usually the ones that I bought because I really liked them and not because I could save a few bucks. If you really like the Park Avenues in Merlot at some discount, do a cursory eBay search, but you might be better off getting seconds from AE themselves if you don't want to wait.

CMJTperry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lpresq
We all go through the AE learning curve. Before long, you'll realize that AE is great option, but only after a large snowfall. Best of luck on your progession, Padawan.
wink.gif

Not a whole lot of snow in Orlando
cheers.gif

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
You're obviously unfamiliar with Italian made RL Polo shoes, they're quite a bit nicer then AE.

The only ones I've seen are the purple label ones. Anyways if they are as readily available on discount as ae that is a great option

brallipop

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lpresq
We all go through the AE learning curve. Before long, you'll realize that AE is great option, but only after a large snowfall. Best of luck on your progession, Padawan.
wink.gif

Are AE's too cloying on the foot? Not a good purchase for Floridians (esp now that it's summer here)?

Also, EG's? GG's? C&J's? I'm a noob and just don't know these abbr's

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
AE makes so many ugly shoes that people forget they offer nice ones too. I like all the models you've picked.

Just another vote in favor of some AEs. I hate the AE bashing here too. As many have said, the quality is better than 95% of shoes available. Yes, they do make some very, very ugly shoes as well. If there is a style that you like, however, they can be a tremendous value.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As for your bug ... I suggest some cures:

• Pick up a pair of Aldens.
  • Add a pair of Vass to your shoe wardrobe.
  • Just look at a pair of Edward Greens.

That said ... I have and wear AEs ... but they are not by any means a be-all-end-all for me.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that the recent AEs have declined a good deal in quality? The leather seems to be of a much lower grade than a few years ago...I guess when the insoles were white. I bought a couple pairs from the recent sale and the leather seems overly stiff and rough, if that makes any sense.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My 2 AE's are the Clifton and Mcallister. The clifton with the tan sole and mcallister with the newer hard black sole. The leather for the uppers seem the same to me, and better than the $500 retail made in italy RL shoes, but lower than C&J benchgrades though.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
incitylimo