• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have the AE bug!

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
Shoulda bought one nice shoe.

Quality > Quantity.

AE are great shoes. The best? No. However, for the price and quality, AE cannot be beat.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems pretty polarized....why dont you guys just buy different brands? No sense having 40 AEs, no sense having exclusively EGs. Have a mix...I use my AEs as beaters or jean shoes. You'd need a lot of scratch to wear the 1000+ shoes everyday.

Reaction score
So where do you guys typically spot AE stuff on sale? I was trying to look around but apparently I fail.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
of course no one is going to notice. a black captoe park avenue wearer and a black captoe JL prestige wearer both would look the same at any event. but we dont buy (most of us at least ) on that premise.
it is the joy of wearing the JL. yeah, im sure the AE wearer enjoys his too. but that is why every person has their different tastes and different capacities. such is life

If the JLP shoe looks about the same as the Park Ave., doesn't fit any better, and in all probability won't last a helluva lot longer, where's the "joy" in wearing it? So that you can think to yourself, "Ha-ha-ha, you lowly plebians, I'm wearing a $1,500 pair of shoes and you're not!"...or what?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
do i have to explain? some will pay extra money for handmade button holes. so no one will notice and not many who will notice, will really care. except for you. why? because you notice. those here who are epicurean of these things will notice. that is why they joyfully wear them.

a jlp shoe in black captoe is vastly more beautiful than a park avenue in every respect.

what im saying is, those who are around you let say at a wedding? they won't notice, and they perhaps wont even care even if they do. because, their interests and pursuits are different. and 99% of my peers dont really care about shoes and clothes like i do.

....and remember, i dont purchase anything on the premise of 'image' like i noted earlier, so the word ''plebian" doesnt come into my mind at all when im with others and i see they are dressed differently from me (other than disrespectful dress at church or what have you that is related).

there are those who look down on others for dressing less rich, and also , unfortunately, there are those who look down on others for dressing more rich. i dont play that game. i just buy things to wear to look good and to enjoy . simply. period.

glowell222

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
I love that tan color. Cognac. Long live AE
boxing[1].gif

I love that color too. However, this shoe with those hole punches is a much more handsome shoe in a darker color.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there are those who look down on others for dressing less rich, and also , unfortunately, there are those who look down on others for dressing more rich. i dont play that game. i just buy things to wear to look good and to enjoy . simply. period.

Perhaps I am channeling my inner Cruiser here, but I would say I buy clothing because:

a. It fulfills some sort of perceived need (however remote).

b. It makes me look good.

c. It is comfortable and fits well.

d. It durable and well made.

and finally...

e. It offers good value for money. (I certainly do not have unlimited means; if I did, I might feel easier about blowing $1,500 on a pair of shoes.)

However, if wearing a $1,500 pair of shoes brings you joy, who am I to quarrel with it? As long as you can afford them, it is certainly a harmless pleasure if ever there was one. However, you have made it clear that you are a very earnest Christian. Does such extravagance not trouble your Christian conscience?

Grenadier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slappy
Vastly? Come off it

I have a tried-and-true pair of park avenues I wear frequently. I have also tried on a pair of John Lobb plain-toe bluchers. I can say that the JL plain-toe bluchers did look substantially better and, dare I say it, more formal than the park avenues. At least, the Lobbs made my EEE feet look slender and graceful while still being very comfortable.

Did I pay the $700 pricetag? No. Would I in a few years? Absolutely.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Perhaps I am channeling my inner Cruiser here, but I would say I buy clothing because:

a. It fulfills some sort of perceived need (however remote).

b. It makes me look good.

c. It is comfortable and fits well.

d. It durable and well made.

and finally...

e. It offers good value for money. (I certainly do not have unlimited means; if I did, I might feel easier about blowing $1,500 on a pair of shoes.)

However, if wearing a $1,500 pair of shoes brings you joy, who am I to quarrel with it? As long as you can afford them, it is certainly a harmless pleasure if ever there was one. However, you have made it clear that you are a very earnest Christian. Does such extravagance not trouble your Christian conscience?

this_thread_delivers_ups_chick_amazon.jpg

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Jlp is vastly more beautiful than ae.

And Jan I don't know why you are bringing up my religion in this, but to answer, no I don't feel bad. And I'm an ernest christian. You don't know me and I don't know you. What I do with my finances in terms of shoes and clothes is only a small percentage of the whole picture which I don't find it necessary to discus in a forum like this. And for the record, I don't own any jlp. Haven't spent 1500 for a pair of shoe ever once in my life. I'm speaking out of forum tastes and likings /conceptually I defend the owning of jlp over ae.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And Jan I don't know why you are bringing up my religion in this, but to answer, no I don't feel bad. And I'm an ernest christian. You don't know me and I don't know you. What I do with my finances in terms of shoes and clothes is only a small percentage of the whole picture which I don't find it necessary to discus in a forum like this. And for the record, I don't own any jlp. Haven't spent 1500 for a pair of shoe ever once in my life. I'm speaking out of forum tastes and likings /conceptually I defend the owning of jlp over ae.

Would Jesus wear JLP?

Please forgive me if I have offended you by mentioning your religion (about which you have been very public), but aren't modesty and the avoidance of luxury and extravagance considered Christian virtues? I suppose if God has entrusted a man with the stewardship of enormous wealth and he has used vast sums for Christian and general philanthropic purposes, he could be forgiven the peccadilo of indulging in a few pairs of JLP. Most of us--even most forumites, I surmise--have not been so blessed, but at least the latter are fortunate to have such an able exponent of their collective "tastes and likings" as yourself. Happy Easter!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads