• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Napoleon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Napoleon
I'm searching for a online shop that ships Converse Jack Purcell blue canvas shoes to Finland.

Still searching...

Originally Posted by Fodder
What is this cardigan and where can I get one?

dfacud.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's from Ralph Lauren.

Originally Posted by deveandepot1
You don't want that cardigan.

How can you know that?!
plain.gif

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amin
this might seem dumb but can anyone post washing instructions for a SDA loopwheeler top. is there any need to turn it inside out, etc???

It's just an expensive sweatshirt, right? Inside out, cold water wash (or hand-wash), air dry is always wise for any garment you want to preserve. Hot wash and machine dry can expedite fading and wear.

I'm pretty sure it's from Ralph Lauren.

Did anyone ask your opinion?

How can you know that?!
plain.gif

Snap!

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how do Gap refunds work? I bought a jacket online using 2 gift cards (that I threw away after)and a credit card and then sent it back (online return only), so they sent me an email that suggests they are sending me a giftcard with the amount minus what I put on the credit card.

So, are they sending me a giftcard?
eh.gif

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by underwearer
how do Gap refunds work? I bought a jacket online using 2 gift cards (that I threw away after)and a credit card and then sent it back (online return only), so they sent me an email that suggests they are sending me a giftcard with the amount minus what I put on the credit card.

So, are they sending me a giftcard?
eh.gif

I would call their customer service line. They have always been very helpful with me.

splattered

Reaction score
Rather than dig up some other thread... i just received 2 pairs of chuck taylors from Zappos because i wanted to compare them to the PF Flyers i have.

Quality seems a bit worse than the PF Flyers, but they're also like half the price so i'm not as worried about that.

Sizing seems odd though...

People say to size down 1/2 size from your normal shoe size, so i did... and they both fit like half to FULL size bigger than i thought they would.

I got the All Star OX Maroon in a US8 and it measures 11" across the bottom.

http://www.zappos.com/converse-chuck...star-ox-maroon

And then i got the (RED) Black African Canvas in black US8 which measures 11.5" across the bottom.

http://www.zappos.com/converse-produ...anvas-ox-black

I have an 1-1.5" of room in the toebox on these, and an inch is prob what i usually have for athletic shoes... but for some reason both these feel much more roomy in the toe area than normal?

If i were to try and exchange both pairs you think i'd be able to fit comfortably into a US7? Or would they be too snug?

Also, what is the difference between the all star core and chuck taylor? notice in my links that both appear to be the same shoe but are named differently?

Having tried them on they are barely less comfortable than the PF Flyers (which do have a LITTLE more support) but i think i do like the looks of the chucks better.

Also... what is the point of canvas hi tops? Just so that your socks don't show with jeans? haha i don't see any point outside of that... its not like they offer additional ankle support or anything???

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, it's Zappos. Free return shipping on returns. In the time it took you to write this, you could have boxed them up and ordered the sevens. Shoe fits vary like crazy. Difference between a 7 and 8 is about 1/2". Yes, I think you'll fit. I just got a few pair from Zappos and returned all of them and went a size smaller than I'm used to. I got 9s, and I've never gone below 10 before. The 9s fit great (and these were structured leather shoes, not stretchy canvas sneakers). Tip: when you go online for returns, select USPS as your return shipper, then go to the USPS website and select 'schedule a pick-up'. Pick-ups are free for online order merchandise returns since you have the Zappos label on the box. Have USPS pick up at your work. Saves you a trip to the UPS counter. It's so damn easy and you don't even have to get off your butt to return :)

splattered

Reaction score
Ha! yeah i know ive used Zappos a million times... including sending TONS of crap back. That's why i use em... hehe

I was just wondering if going from an 8 to a 7 would be a full size down, because i think that might be too much? I noticed that the core/seasonal come in half sizes but damn i don't know if that means much for this shoe. Sizing is crazy... and the african canvas models only come in 7/8/9/etc

If i couldnt fit in a 7 why bother to send them back? Easier to ask an obscenely long short story about them on here since 75% of the members prob buy them on a regular basis haha

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robtheklobb
Looking for this Gitman Bros. shirt in medium: http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=1016

Tried to order it from Fred Segal Trend but they were actually sold out despite what their website indicated...

Any ideas?

Email the Context boys and ask them if a re-stock is expected.

Earnest Hemingway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just picked up an ermenegildo zegna full-button-down polo shirt for next to nothing at a thrift store. Problem is, the fit is somewhat large, so I wanted to shrink it a bit. The care label recommends hand washing in cold water, but would it destroy the shirt if I machine-washed it in boiling water and then hung-dry it? Forgive me if this is a stupid question

blynch

Reaction score
Point me to a place for decent shirt buttons that are relatively cheap. I only want to spend around $5 a shirt, since its only a $25 lands ends canvas shirt. I've found a dozen smoke MoP buttons for $6.40+shipping, http://www.mjtrim.com/Catalog/Produc...505/18505.aspx But white or off white, MoP buttons are considerably more expensive, I could go plastic as well. Also for a grey chambray would color buttons should I go with? White, off white, or something darker colored (smoke, black)?

blynch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Earnest Hemingway
Just picked up an ermenegildo zegna full-button-down polo shirt for next to nothing at a thrift store. Problem is, the fit is somewhat large, so I wanted to shrink it a bit. The care label recommends hand washing in cold water, but would it destroy the shirt if I machine-washed it in boiling water and then hung-dry it? Forgive me if this is a stupid question
Probably would be fine, check the tag and see what it is made of. As long as it isn't a fragile material or the seams look weak, should be fine. And if it was in a thrift store I'm guessing it has been machine washed quite a bit.

Earnest Hemingway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll probably go ahead with the wash tomorrow. It's a cotton-viscose blend, 60/40, so I'm thinking it should be fine, right?

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to buy a pair of boots, but I'm kind of undecided on what I want. I was seriously contemplating the size 5.5 W+H Service boots that sunman4200 was selling, but I think he took slight in the fact that I kept asking him questions because I was uncertain about the sizing and the condition of the sole, etc, so that unfortunately seems like a lost cause at this point ;x Hope he has fun with them or hope he gets another buyer
smile.gif
As one can surmise from my previous sentence, my feet are rather small, so my options are rather limited in what I can purchase, as is my wallet (don't want to spend more than 300 unless it's really worth it). I was looking for something in a high top. Ankle is less preferable, because I'd like to stack my jeans in them, but if they look amazing, I'll bite. Can anyone help with some suggestions? I wasn't particularly fond of the Alden Indy boot, which a lot of people seemed to tout for. I normally wear a EU39, but I think my feet are slightly smaller, like a 6.5ish. Thanks for your help! Edit: REALLY interested in the Common Projects Combat Boot, but I'm not sure if the quality warrants the price tag, and if I could ever find a size 38 for those...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members