• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lear

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
heh, thanks! any comment on the color? how would it compare to an Alden #8 or AE cordovan color?
I don't want to give you bad advice. I've only ever seen Alden boots in web pics. I personally consider the claret RMW stunning. They certainly get a lot of praise, but then so do the whiskey boots. Edit: Only the black boots were bought off the shelf. The claret and whiskey were as I said, MTO.

DrPat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lear
Those are my boots!
I've used John Lobb (said to be Saphir), and later Saphir Medaille D'Or mahogany (both cream and wax) on them.

Do you know if there is a large color difference between the Saphir mahogany and bordeaux cream? I just received the turnout in claret and since I already have the bordeaux cream I planned to use that. Although the color match between the claret leather and the bordeaux cream, it seems fairly close.

Lear

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrPat
Do you know if there is a large color difference between the Saphir mahogany and bordeaux cream? I just received the turnout in claret and since I already have the bordeaux cream I planned to use that. Although the color match between the claret leather and the bordeaux cream, it seems fairly close.
Apologies, I made a mistake there. Was away from my computer and secret polish stash. I use the Saphir Medaille D'Or Bordeaux (also called Burgundi on the back of the tin) for the claret boots. Have never used mahogany. Yes, I find the colour match to be very close indeed. I haven't noticed any change over time, and there must be a hundred coats on the toecaps by now. The whiskey boots have had Saphir Medaille D'Or Yellow, which kept them very bright; making them sparkle in the sunlight. I've recently moved on to Saphir Medaille D'Or Cognac. It seems to take the 'dazzle' off the leather though, but makes them a little more versatile to wear.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a pair of the Turnouts in chestnut yearling because they seem super comfortable when I try them on in the store. These will be for casual wear with jeans--I'll take great care of them but won't be polishing them for mirror shine or anything. Would the screwed leather sole be inappropriate or too sleek for casual wear? Could I eventually have a regular sole put on when it came time to replace?

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
I'm thinking about getting a pair of the Turnouts in chestnut yearling because they seem super comfortable when I try them on in the store. These will be for casual wear with jeans--I'll take great care of them but won't be polishing them for mirror shine or anything. Would the screwed leather sole be inappropriate or too sleek for casual wear? Could I eventually have a regular sole put on when it came time to replace?
I think the screwed soles give you a much sleeker and elegant look, but they are not really less "casual," as there is nothing formal about the lacking welt, they just look better. It's hard to get the screwed soles replaced in the USA (if anyone knows where they can do it, please let me know) so I went ahead and had my bushmans topy'ed. I wear my craftsmans and will wear my incoming stockman buckle boots without protecting them, and will just resole locally when necessary. Too much of a pain to send them back to Australia. The end result is that I'm more likely to grab the bushmans if it is looking wet out. I really like that boot, but I'm looking forward to trying out the stockmans, I may do a MTO buckle boot with screwed sole in the future, but I was too impatient to get them now, especially with their factory holiday/closure coming up.

Cid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
I think the screwed soles give you a much sleeker and elegant look, but they are not really less "casual," as there is nothing formal about the lacking welt, they just look better. It's hard to get the screwed soles replaced in the USA (if anyone knows where they can do it, please let me know) so I went ahead and had my bushmans topy'ed. I wear my craftsmans and will wear my incoming stockman buckle boots without protecting them, and will just resole locally when necessary. Too much of a pain to send them back to Australia. The end result is that I'm more likely to grab the bushmans if it is looking wet out. I really like that boot, but I'm looking forward to trying out the stockmans, I may do a MTO buckle boot with screwed sole in the future, but I was too impatient to get them now, especially with their factory holiday/closure coming up.

Curious, did you have the heel topy'ed also?

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
I think the screwed soles give you a much sleeker and elegant look, but they are not really less "casual," as there is nothing formal about the lacking welt, they just look better. It's hard to get the screwed soles replaced in the USA (if anyone knows where they can do it, please let me know)

Thanks. I didn't realize that the screwed soles meant the shoes lacked a welt entirely, but I guess it makes sense. Kind of a bummer, I like the idea of the screwed soles but i want to wear these hard (lots of hill walking in SF) and i'm not keen on the need to send them to australia when the sole wears down.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
interesting, tx.

can you post any pictures of yours? which boot is it? I can't find "stallion" on your 2nd link

I noticed that, too. I think the Stallion (resin sole) was replaced by the Cavalry (leather sole). I bought my pair from The Stockade: leather sole $A189.00.

They also stocked RM's Craftsman, so I was able to do a good comparison of the two. The colour of the elastic siding on the RM is a little nicer, as is the shade of brown. Stitching and materials quality was about even. However, for the price difference I had no qualms about going with the Macs.

imgp0857.jpg

imgp0861n.jpg

imgp0862o.jpg

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sweet, tx!

is that color Mahogany? any comments on how the resin sole looks? (like the RM Williams composite sole? decent looking?)

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think that they changed the height of the heel, though I have a good cobbler, and he may have removed the rubber, matched the added height and replaced it (they were new when I gave them to him). I never thought of it, I'll ask him next time I see him.

Originally Posted by Cid
Curious, did you have the heel topy'ed also?

beebleb

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that the RMW-branded chestnut polish is redder than the chestnut craftsman itself? I bought it hoping for a perfect colour match but it seems noticeably redder.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momo20