• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I would never wear.....

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mechanical pencil
-Good for going to/from beach for those sandal hating weirdos who wear their Allen Edmonds in the sand. Can also be worn on boats. (Boats! Awesome!)
Sorry, but I'm going to guess that 90+% of the people that wear boat shoes not only don't wear them to the beach but live nowhere near one.
Originally Posted by mechanical pencil
-Really just a good all around versatile casual shoe.
Agree to disagree. Like chrono said, there are times when people can make it work but most of those people are 60 years-old, wear PRL shorts that end a **** hair below their ball sack, and live along the French Riviera. I couldn't stop laughing when I was in NYC in Dec/Jan with several inches on the ground and people STILL wearing them because they were part of the LES crowd.

To each their own but a "good all-around versatile casual shoe" has already been invented. It's called the "sneaker."

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
why specifically Barker Blacks?

I guess I should have specified that I am not a fan of the skull and crossbones motif on many of the shoes. It's one thing if it the motif is on a Polo Rugby brand shirt or tie made for teenagers who are spending their parent's money to look cool. But when grown men are spending $600+ on fine shoes with such a silly motif - I have to wonder who they are trying to impress?

obiter dictum

Reaction score
* Skinny jeans
* Boat shoes
* Drop crotch
* Monk straps
* Suspenders
* Ascots
* Vests
* Anything with a hood
* Hats
* Wayfarers
* Seersucker
* Cargo pants
* Toggles
* Cropped
* Pink
* EG
* Chelsea boots
* Pointy shoes

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiniW
I guess I should have specified that I am not a fan of the skull and crossbones motif on many of the shoes. It's one thing if it the motif is on a Polo Rugby brand shirt or tie made for teenagers who are spending their parent's money to look cool. But when grown men are spending $600+ on fine shoes with such a silly motif - I have to wonder who they are trying to impress?

what if you're not a grown man what then?

racetrack

Reaction score
Spending hundreds of dollars to look like a Lumberjack.

Do

Not

Understand.

(Unless you are a lumberjack. Then I totally understand.)

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Sorry, but I'm going to guess that 90+% of the people that wear boat shoes not only don't wear them to the beach but live nowhere near one.

Agree to disagree. Like chrono said, there are times when people can make it work but most of those people are 60 years-old, wear PRL shorts that end a **** hair below their ball sack, and live along the French Riviera. I couldn't stop laughing when I was in NYC in Dec/Jan with several inches on the ground and people STILL wearing them because they were part of the LES crowd.

To each their own but a "good all-around versatile casual shoe" has already been invented. It's called the "sneaker."

Like i said though, lots of clothes were once "technically" meant for a specific thing or person. They end up being easy enough to wear and if they work with some stuff they get adopted and worn a lot. I've seen normal people, young, old, middle aged and of different styles wearing boat shoes forever but maybe that's because i've lived in florida all my life. I also think they can be worn solid in fashion type looks. Most people who are hopping on because they see it become trendy or whatnot do look pretty lame imo. I dont' think they're that hard to make work well though. Not to mention, that a lot of times when i'm going to run a quick errand or go down to the corner store, i just wanna slip something on my feet quickly they're great to wear instead of sandals.

Most people trying to wear boat shoes look lame, but then again, can't that be said about most people's outfits in general? I see just as many people look ****** in sneakers and laceups. Chucks look lame as hell and make the person look like a nerd most of the time, but they can definitely look good at times. Hell, i've seen some fits on the forum with nice boots/laceups (like w&h boots or paul smith laceups) and other nice brands look like ****. I think the issue is more with the person.

NorCal

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Chucks look lame as hell and make the person look like a nerd most of the time, but they can definitely look good at times. .

Really? I think of Chucks like I think of white tees. They cross styles, ages, genres, and are pretty much impossible to **** up. Along with Sambas they have been my no thought required gotta own a pair go to sneaker/basic shoe for at east 15 years.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Really? I think of Chucks like I think of white tees. They cross styles, ages, genres, and are pretty much impossible to **** up. Along with Sambas they have been my no thought required gotta own a pair go to sneaker/basic shoe for at east 15 years.
Keep in mind that chrono also rolls his pants and wears boat shoes.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal

That's cool and i'm gonna let you finish but they mostly look pretty lame or at the most boring. However, that isn't a knock against chucks necessarily but the person wearing them as i've seen some fits where chucks were absolutely perfect and made me jealous and even want a pair of hitop white chucks for an outfit or two i had in mind where no other shoes would work. There really is no "goes with everything" kinda shoe.

Originally Posted by whodini
Keep in mind that chrono also rolls his pants and wears boat shoes.

I also drink diet soda (then again, good fountain coke is the only normal soda i'll do and it's so so delicious). Also, i don't like soiling my beautiful coca-cola classic with alcohol. I reserve that for lesser beverages

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BBBSTI LTD