• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How fancy can I get at college before I get ostracized.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ryan Graber
I only really wanted 1 page of reaction max, people seem to like reposting what others have said.

Oh I know you're not bumping your thread or anything. I meant I think you've gotten a feel for the general forum consensus.

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
There is no cry to conform here. There is something called dressing for the occasion. Do you see anything wrong with wearing a suit to class, to interviews, to go out, and to a wedding? What you wear says something about how you view that situation.

If someone wears a suit to their pop quiz on a Monday morning and a wedding on Saturday night, it says to me they aren't dynamic enough to actually pull off this well-rounded sartorial thing.

I've addressed this point. IMO, college is the occasion to truly be yourself and dress however the hell you want.

And to those who are simply saying it's a bad idea: come on. College is not nearly as homogeneous as you might imagine. Sure there will be those who will ostracize you, and there will be those who will accept you as you are. The exact same is true no matter what you wear.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it possible to remove this so it doesn't take up room anymore?

All you need to do is change the title of the thread to "This thread is now closed" also make a post reading that.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kuwisdelu
I've addressed this point. IMO, college is the occasion to truly be yourself and dress however the hell you want.

And to those who are simply saying it's a bad idea: come on. College is not nearly as homogeneous as you might imagine. Sure there will be those who will ostracize you, and there will be those who will accept you as you are. The exact same is true no matter what you wear.

I think my point was quite clear as well. Dress for the occasion.

Of course, you've mentioned in previous threads that women graduate students dig your look. If so, keep on keepin on.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If he needs to ask it's usually a bad idea. There are people who can get away wearing anything but they don't need or care about the opinions of others.

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends completely on how you carry yourself, your personality, and how naturally you pull it off.

This comes up all the time here, and most will tell you college is an inherently casual place. I say it's the place to be yourself. Dress in what you're comfortable with, be that a suit, sport coat, or pajamas, and don't let anyone get you down for it.

teacha.gif
teacha.gif
teacha.gif
I completely agree.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I only really wanted 1 page of reaction max, people seem to like reposting what others have said.

Well, dude, you could have done a search on this subject in the first place (the topic has come up about 50 times before) instead of posting this thread, but you got what you asked for. If you're annoyed about getting similar reactions from multiple posters, I'm sorry, but there's a consensus forming. If people seem to be repeating themselves, it's probably because your response to everything they say is essentially "to hell with that, I'm wearing a suit anyway!"

Just wear the freaking suit every day and be done with it already. Obviously we're not going to change your mind, so this back and forth is pointless. It's become abundantly clear that you were never really seeking opinions in the first place, but rather validations of your chosen course of action. You're completely right in that such a thread does not deserve this many pages. If you want to stop it, just stop posting in it and call it a day.

boyzeroo

Reaction score
at my university, i always see students in suits (for co-op interviews). i don't see why you wouldn't be able to wear it. others would assume you have an interview. as for other articles of clothing, i say wear whatever tickles ur fancy. college is about individualism.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boyzeroo
at my university, i always see students in suits (for co-op interviews). i don't see why you wouldn't be able to wear it. others would assume you have an interview. as for other articles of clothing, i say wear whatever tickles ur fancy. college is about individualism.

and people usually say...."interview?".

Unless you want the people in your class to think you're interviewing daily, I think you better re-think it.

Casual is a harder challenge, try it out.

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
and people usually say...."interview?". Unless you want the people in your class to think you're interviewing daily, I think you better re-think it. Casual is a harder challenge, try it out.
Not a lot of college kids go to an interview wearing linen pants and a slate blue linen odd jacket, topped off with a boater. I got some looks crossing through the job fair, but I got the last laugh seeing all the uncomfortable students sweating in their black polywool suits trying to impress.
bounce2.gif
Upon getting to my class, my classmates (familiar with my dress) sarcastically asked if I went to the job fair (knowing full well such wasn't my motivation). We had a good laugh. IMO, part of the joy of doing dressy in college is going for outfits that would never be acceptable for a job interview or the office, and clearly look it. Linens and tweeds and seersucker. Or wild combinations like tieless French cuff shirts with jeans and double-breasted jackets. But I'm a odd fellow. Of course, regarding interviewing, I've also seen baggy black pants matched with an oversized navy blazer and rubber-soled loafers called a "suit" by a fellow student as he was on his way to his interview. I held my tongue.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
college is about individualism.

To a point, that is. After you cross a certain threshold, you've steered out of the safe harbor of "individualism" and are sailing toward the stormy waters of "weirdo" or "freakshow." Wearing a suit every day to class in college will almost certainly get you labeled a weirdo. Whether or not that's a label you enjoy, or seek to cultivate, is up to you. Just know that it'll happen.

And no, people aren't going to believe that you've got a job interview 365 days of the year for four straight years. Try again.

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
Of course. How could we have been mistaken? You can be as much of a unique individual as you want, as long as you're the same as everyone else.
biggrin.gif

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Of course. How could we have been mistaken? You can be as much of a unique individual as you want, as long as you're the same as everyone else.
biggrin.gif

If you're unable to distinguish any shades of being or nuance in between "weird" and "conformist," that's your problem and not ours, man. It's not black and white, one or the other.

At any rate, this thread is once again growing incredibly circular. Do whatever you want. Let your freak flag fly. There's obviously nothing anyone's going to say to convince you otherwise, so what's the point in even discussing it?

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
I just think it's silly to, as you put it, stay within your "safe harbor" zone in college. It's a time for self-exploration. How far is too far is for each person to decide on their own. I think saying with any degree of certainty that something will happen (e.g., being labelled a "weirdo") is ridiculous. Some people will think that sure, but except for pint-sized colleges, I really don't see that happen.

At my school, there are of course plenty of people who dress in pretty ridiculous things, as with every university. The only one that I can think of as having a label is "unicycle kid," which doesn't even have anything to do with clothes. Because, honestly, I can think of no one else on campus who rides a unicycle to class. But even so, does that make him a weirdo? I don't think so.

I only discuss because I find the logic that "if you dress this way, then you will necessarily be labelled this" to be, frankly, nonsense. At least when it comes for level of formality.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodhpur